Gransnet forums

AIBU

freebay

(13 Posts)
ninathenana Mon 25-Jan-16 16:29:14

I'm a member of ny local freebay page on FB I had a few items (two brand new) to give away.
Twice people have messaged me and arranged to collect and I have waited in for them. Neither has turned up
If your not going to bother collecting something for nothing why ask.angry

Elegran Mon 25-Jan-16 17:05:53

Can you name and shame them on the website?

Katek Mon 25-Jan-16 19:33:02

Contact the admins. Could be that they've done this before in which case they could be banned.

shysal Mon 25-Jan-16 20:35:58

I sometimes put things on my local Freegle site, and it seems to be the norm that people either don't get back to me when I email to offer it to them, or they don't turn up to collect. It is infuriating! I can't understand why they would bother to reply to an advert then not follow if up. These days I tell them that I shall leave the item on my doorstep, so at least I don't have to stay in.
In contrast I had a good experience last weekend when I offered an Indian wall hanging/throw. We had a very chatty exchange of messages, and she turned up bearing chocolates and a thank you card, which is something I also do.

ninathenana Mon 25-Jan-16 22:04:14

shysal that's great, I've never had that happen.

M0nica Tue 26-Jan-16 11:09:06

shysal that is my experience as well. I think people get the message on their phone, immediately email yes, please, then engage their mind and think no thank you, or a partner objects and they do not have the courtesy to tell you.

There is one person in our Freegle whom I now ignore if he says 'yes, please' as he has let me down twice. We also once found something we had given to someone had been entered for a local auction sale we attend frequently. Thinking back I suspect other things we have offered have been sold as well.

I now think a lot more carefully about what I put on Freegle.

Humbertbear Tue 26-Jan-16 14:31:42

I use my local Freecycle and get very annoyed at people who don't turn up to collect things. In general I now arrange to leave them on the doorstep so it doesn't matter if I am here or not but it's very irritating when they have asked for something and then they don't turn up.

Nonnie Tue 26-Jan-16 15:15:51

That has never happened to us but I have seen the odd complaint from others.

I never accept the first person who wants my stuff as the only people with enough time on their hands to sit at the computer all day are dealers. I also never give to the occasional rude person!

It is surprising how many things I have given away because someone had put a 'wanted' up and I have realised we have one we don't use. Unfortunately DH has now joined and keeps collecting things which 'might be useful'!

M0nica Tue 26-Jan-16 22:07:09

Nonnie most people are picking up the Freegle emails on their smart phones rather than their computers. I think this is why you get so many non-shows. Someone is doing their daily business but has to check everytime their phone says they have received a message. They skim the mail and make a swift decision to say yes please,which they equally swiftly regret.

Elegran Wed 27-Jan-16 10:01:09

They could just as swiftly cancel the arrangement. It takes no longer to say you won't be there than it does to say you will.

M0nica Wed 27-Jan-16 14:26:39

I know, but they don't do it. It is infuriating. We spent a week once in pointless discussion with one person who kept making arrangements and then not turning up for all kinds of supposedly valid reasons.

He is now on our personal blacklist and we never respond to any of his emails expressing interest in items we are freegling.

Nonnie Thu 28-Jan-16 10:40:47

Monica can people really spend all day on their smartphones? Are they not at work or doing something interesting? I have my phone with me all the time but don't look at it every few minutes. I wait to give people who don't have time to look every few minutes to have a chance.

M0nica Thu 28-Jan-16 17:24:22

You see them, phones constantly in hand to be checked, on table beside them in a restaurant and undoubtedly on their office desk ready to check every email that comes in as soon as it arrives.

When I put something on Freegle I will usually get several offersof interest within minutes, all will say along the bottom 'sent from my iphone.