Gransnet forums

AIBU

About "waiting in"?

(8 Posts)
Alea Tue 26-Jan-16 09:36:37

Should be the easiest thing now I am retired to just get on with something else while I wait for the Internet shop/the washing machine repair man or whoever.
But it isn't!
In this case it is having the car picked up for its service. Still under warranty the service is free (hurray!) but the dealership don't do a courtesy car (boo) . It is 2 buses to get there or back (although I believe they will drive you back) so half a hurray, half a boo. Today was the only date we could agree as I use it every day usually to get DH to or from something NHS related and the garage wanted it in for the whole day. So as we are off to London by train for a hospital appointment I managed to book it for today. "A driver will pick it up between 8 and 11", well there's a heck of a difference between 8 (up at 7, washed dressed, hair washed etc) and 11(waiting anxiously because taxi will be here at 11.10-oh that will be another anxious wait, better make it 11)
What a palaver. Finally gave in and rang a few minutes ago, and apparently it will be collected at 10. But I hate hanging about!!
Contrast our little local one man garage in the village, car needed its first MOT last Monday, fancy dealership couldn't "find a suitable date, so I rang the local chap, agreed to park it outside the garage in the village on Sunday night, put the keys through their letterbox and the car was back on the drive by 10.30 the next morning!

M0nica Tue 26-Jan-16 11:15:41

I long ago gave up on Main Dealers after two returned my car to me in a dangerous condition and billed me for work they hadn't done.

For nearly 40 years now, when we have moved house, we have found a good local garage, occasionally we have had to try several to find the good one and then all our cars are seen by them. Everyone we have settled on has been/is friendly and reliable and can deal with any make of car and, since we like our cars well aged, like good wine, can often suggest repairs that are less costly or use recycled parts.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 26-Jan-16 12:50:21

Just the thought of "waiting in" puts my blood pressure up, even if I have absolutely nothing else to do. It's a lot better since DH retired, as he doesn't seem to mind doing it and manages to fill his time with something useful instead of stamping up and down as I do. After years of trying to juggle the waiting in with childcare then work, I think I'm over-reacting! However, I sympathise with you Alea and YA definitely NBU brew and cupcake. Hope they came at 10...

TriciaF Tue 26-Jan-16 16:13:48

It puts my blood pressure up too!
A few weeks ago we were expecting a delivery "between 8am and 6pm".
It was quite important, returning an expensive item to Amazon, so I said I would stay in with husband, who's almost always around but doesn't speak french.
The delivery man rang at 11.30 am asking for directions, we're out in the wilds, and I gave him them. But realised later I had said turn right somewhere instead of left Tried to ring back, mobile off.
He turned up an hour later TG, by which time I was a nervous wreck.

Mamie Tue 26-Jan-16 16:20:04

The lack of addresses in rural France is a delivery nightmare, isn't it Tricia? We are a "lieu-dit" and have the same address as all our neighbours and the post code is the same for a 10km radius of the local town. Fine for the postman who knows everyone. The Maire is meant to be giving every house a number, but two years later we still haven't got one. We waste hours waiting to give instructions by phone. I have started using a collection point 15km away, but it isn't open on Sunday or Monday.
Our local garage collects and delivers though.

ninathenana Tue 26-Jan-16 16:55:03

I have the wonderful Ron, who will drive to mine leave his car and do MOT or whatever work mine needs at his workshop on a local farm he will then deliver mine back and collect his. He often doesn't charge me for small jobs. I've been using him for about 20 yrs. I'm upset that he is retiring.

TriciaF Tue 26-Jan-16 17:53:01

Mamie - yes that's the main problem here, but some of the delivery companies have satnavs, and they turn up with no problems.

FarNorth Tue 26-Jan-16 18:21:22

Waiting in is even worse when they don't turn up and don't let you know.

BT did this to me twice recently.
I phoned them, by mobile, after the non-appearances.The first time they said the visit was cancelled because the fault was now fixed (it wasn't) the second time they said shortage of engineers meant the visit had been rescheduled to Saturday (when I wouldn't be in).
Neither time had they contacted me about any of this.
A third attempt at a visit was scheduled for 1-6pm. Returning from town at 12 noon, I got a text saying the engineer was on the way, then another saying he had arrived at the property. I got home at 12.30 to find him waiting (luckily for everyone) and the fault was fixed within 15 minutes.