Gransnet forums

AIBU

Birthday present

(9 Posts)
ninathenana Sun 06-Mar-16 11:32:36

Why are there 2 other threads the same as this all with several replies...... Very confusing confused

janeainsworth Sun 06-Mar-16 09:06:42

Looking for something to buy

janeainsworth Sun 06-Mar-16 09:06:00

Life's too short to get upset by such trifles. Consideration and thoughtfulness are more important than an actual gift.
If we want something and can afford it, we just buy it. If it happens to be near a birthday or Christmas, then it is designated to be for that occasion.
My last birthday present was a bike. But I would have got one anyway.
I loathe trailing round the shops looks by for something to buy that the recipient probably won't even like, just because a certain date has come round.

NanaandGrampy Sun 06-Mar-16 09:03:29

Good point seasider smile

Its taken me 39 years but my husband totally 'gets it' now .

Its why he's lasted this long wink

seasider Sun 06-Mar-16 09:02:27

My dad used to buy my mum things like hoovers and irons. DP did once buy me an iron for Christmas then realised it was a potential murder weapon!

NanaandGrampy Sun 06-Mar-16 08:54:23

I suggest that payback is a bitch smile don't buy for him when his birthday comes round!! Harsh but fair !!

Personally , I'd be having a serious word with my husband if he did the same ! The thing is , in a man's head he got you a gift - he paid for your pedicure . They just dont get the nuances of gift giving.

I know my Dad always gave my mum some money - he said it was so she could get what she wanted - i say its bone idle laziness !!

If your partner can't swing by Tescos and pick up a bunch of flowers then shame on him. I would have a chat with him, dont say 'You didn't get me .....' say something like' I felt hurt.....etc '

And you obviously raised DS right - he won't be disappointing his wife smile

tiredoldwoman Sun 06-Mar-16 08:48:45

Yes, you're right to be hurt and annoyed . I would be , too ! But you've got a lovely grandson who makes up for his mean old grandfather . Men are odd things - I don't know why God gave them ears - they never listen ! Was he always like this or just a new thing ?

Jane10 Sun 06-Mar-16 08:41:03

Yes it is annoying. You could point out how much you appreciate your DGC's effort. What a nice boy!

seasider Sun 06-Mar-16 08:18:49

I am the main present buyer in our household . I put a lot of thought into finding gifts I hope people will like. DP is a rubbish present buyer and struggles for inspiration. I thought I would make it easier for him and said this year I would like a pedicure before we go away next month. DP said to let him.know when I was going and he would pay for it. He even remarked that it was less than he usually spends. It was my birthday yesterday and I was disappointed he did not buy even a tiny gift to wrap up. He said he did not have time though he passes a huge 24 hour Tesco on his way home and we live a 10 minute walk from a retail park! By comparison 13 year old DS, who has recently started a job as a paperboy, went to the shops and bought and wrapped his own gifts for me. DP told him he had to use his own money this time ! I am wrong to be annoyed at his lack of effort?