Gransnet forums

AIBU

Unsolicited door to door salesman making me feel uncomfortable.

(53 Posts)
chloe1984 Fri 06-May-16 14:54:39

Ten minutes ago I was in the garden busy with pottering about etc. Answered a ring at the doorbell (after taking off shoes, cleaning hands etc.) A young man was there and asked if I was familiar with the new houses being built on the corner - no I wasn't and told him this. He said that surely I knew the location the ones with the wooden windows as he was representing the window people that had installed them. I replied that I was sorry I didn't but could I help him with something and what was it he had called for? He replied that he thought I was a being a bit rude and unnecessary I asked again could I help him with something ( I did think that perhaps he needed directions to the site ) he then said well just let's forget it and walked off. Is it me should I have been a bit more polite to this person who disturbed my afternoon then seemed to get annoyed because I didn't want to have new windows installed. Am considering emailing the company to tell them what I think of their salesman but I think that might be over the top.

Izabella Tue 10-May-16 08:57:17

.... Or he could have been sussing.
I.e. Sussing out who lives where, what age are they, do they lock the door. Always worth remembering.

MiriamW541 Tue 10-May-16 00:12:50

GandTea
I printed off the No Cold Callers sign from MoneySavingExpert and it seems to have worked! The one I have also has a section, if you are religion or charity calling that we will not entertain you either. We were absolutely PLAGUED with them, as soon as the Spring came, they all seemed to come out of the woodwork.

I printed the sign and laminated it, stuck it on my glass door with blue tac. It is a good size sign and you can clearly see it from the street. I was sick to death of running down the stairs to discover double glazing salesman or some such. It does make it clear that you will not buy from them. I would advocate printing this and using it.

GandTea Mon 09-May-16 19:27:48

You can print your own sign from here :-

www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/no-more-junk

GandTea Mon 09-May-16 18:45:32

One grumpy old gent we used to give a lift to had a hand written notice on his door that listed all the callers he did not welcome (just about everyone), at the end it said, if you are still here reading this just F O. No mistaking the message.

chloe1984 Mon 09-May-16 18:44:14

Thank you for replies and advice. I will be buying 'a no cold callers ' sign for my door. I have also received a reply to my email from the window company concerned. They apologised and said if I sent them details of full name , address and telephone number they would ensure that by passing my details on to the area manager I would not be called on again. However will not be doing this just in case the salesman takes it into his head to call again. One encounter with him was more than enough . I have also replied to them and told them the reason I shall not be supplying my personal details.

Hattiehelga Mon 09-May-16 18:00:15

We have a notice on the front door -

WE DO NOT BUY AT THE DOOR'
WE DO NOT NEED ANY ADVICE
NOR DO WE ANSWER QUESTIONS.
PLEASE DO NOT ANNOY US BY
RINGING THE BELL.

Honestly, I can say we are almost never bothered and the odd one who ignores it is just asked "Can you not read?" which embarrasses them and they go away.

NanKate Sun 08-May-16 15:48:06

This is slightly off piste, but we have a half barn type door as our front door. When I open up I am completely shielded by the bottom half that is securely locked. If for any reason I have to leave them whilst I get something, I close the top half and say I will be back in a minute.

They would have to be a gazelle to actually get in the top half when it is open. I feel very safe.

rosesarered Sun 08-May-16 14:01:50

They were calling on us 25 years ago though, with products that fall apart on second use and sold at inflated prices.However, I do feel sorry for them, and last Summer gave one man a cold can of Coke as it was a hot day, but told him I didn't buy the stuff because it was so poorly made.He agreed! they are dropped of at locations and told to work the area and say they are ex cons ( which some are.) Nobody would do this through choice, what a job.

Jaxie Sun 08-May-16 10:21:50

What is very upsetting to me and husband is dealing with underfed looking young men who tell us they are unemployed, trying to sell cheap dusters etc door to door? I've heard they are subject to bullying by gangmasters - they always look hang dog and beaten down. We give them money for themselves but refuse to buy the poor quality goods. I hate feeling like the "haves" when these "have nots" appear. I console myself by reminding myself what a struggle I had as a child: disabled mother in single parent family, poverty...Education enabled me to get a good job; state schools are under the cosh with this government, so what chance do these youngsters have?

Angela1961 Sat 07-May-16 18:21:23

About 3 years ago when I was living at my mother's house as her carer as she was dying from bowel Cancer and was almost permanently in bed there was a knock at the door. It was a males and female who were from the religious group who try to sell you the booklet Watchtower and ask your views etc. I allowed them to tell me the reason for their call but after awhile explained that I was unable to engage with them at length because I was caring for an extremely unwell person. He then asked me the question " Can the dead rise again ". The female looked suitably embarrassed.

numberplease Sat 07-May-16 17:46:28

I once opened the door to a gypsy woman selling little bunches of (lucky?) heather. She had a little girl of about 4 or 5 with her, and when I said "no thanks", before I could shut the door she plonked the kiddie on the doorstep so I couldn`t close it without hitting the child. It was ages before she`d leave.

1974cookie Sat 07-May-16 17:33:17

Yes,I would definitely report him if I knew which company he allegedly came from.
You cannot be too careful these days, and if he really were from this company, then he needs a big refresher course and lessons in being polite. I had a pushy double glazing salesman cold call a few years ago who would not take no for an answer.
In the end, I just told him that even if I did want double glazing, I would never go to his company as I did not like or trust a pushy salesperson.
My Sister has one of those signs on her front door saying No cold callers, No junk mail, and it works for her. Try that Chloe. Good luck.

chrissyh Sat 07-May-16 17:18:18

I hate cold calling and one very aggressive salesman wanted me to change my gas and electric provider. I said I was very happy with the company I used and did not want to change. He looked at the BMW parked on the drive (our son's, not ours) and said you obviously can afford to just throw money away and turned and walked off. I was fuming.

sallyswin Sat 07-May-16 17:05:56

A few streets in our town have Council erected signs on the lamp posts saying 'no cold calling,. We are supposed to ring the police if they ignore the signs. The funniest one was the day after sitting, with a neighbour, at a table in a restaurant next to two young men in who left without paying. The next morning they knocked on her door (8 miles from the restaurant) and offered to repair her roof for her. She foolishly said ' You are the young man in the restaurant last night. Fortunately he left rapidly (could have been nasty) and she phoned me to tell me what had happened. As they sat in their van I took the vehicle number and rang the police, but never did find out what happened.

GandTea Sat 07-May-16 16:57:35

The chain works for me.

rosesarered Sat 07-May-16 16:20:05

I suppose if you're contantly plagued by cold callers a sign in the door/window may work ( they always look so unfriendly though, don't they?) A barking dog is probably better.How about having a chain on the door and only opening it fully if you know the person? that way you can say ' no thanks' cheerfully and shut the door.

Nibbie Sat 07-May-16 15:02:23

You can get a sign from your local council and register it with them,then if you do get unwanted callers you report them to the council and they will follow it up and will prosecute if necessary,or have a look on Amazon they have a number of signs you can buy,or if you have a computer just make one up for yourself

Eloethan Sat 07-May-16 14:15:28

I don't know why pollyperkins but the idea of an "aggressive fish salesman" who tries to force his fish upon you when you don't even like fish made me giggle - sorry.

pollyperkins Sat 07-May-16 14:10:34

We also gave an aggressive fish salesman. I dont like fish so never buy it but when he comes round with the fish van every now and again he calls and tries to sell me some and gets quite argumentative when i say i dont like/buy it.
I usually give cold callers short shrift but i do admit to buying things from young men who say they have been in prison and are on a scheme to try to go straight. I assume they are telling the truth (?) and try to help - as i often buy the Big Issue too. I have a drawer full of dusters, shammy learhers, ironing board covers etc!

Stella14 Sat 07-May-16 13:00:13

I have a no cold callers sign. I think it has reduced the callers, but by no means stopped them. I do see people coming around with clip boards, but not calling at our house. The 'travellers' ignore them of course. The trademen/women that I have used (always based upon my own research and mostly on recommendation), are always busy and say that if a tradesperson is any good, they don't need, or have the time, to walk around trying to get business.

Chicklette Sat 07-May-16 12:26:31

I also have a 'no cold callers' sign and it usually works. I bought it after a particularly rude and pushy salesman has upset me. He was sneery and offensive when I politely made it clear I wasn't signing up to his video / tv films scheme (I forget exactly what he was selling). I was so cross I did complain to the company. They did apologise and said that's not how they expect their staff to behave. But I think that even though it's a horrible job which I'd hate to do, the door knockers forget how intrusive they're being. On principle I won't give to charities who've knocked at my door.

Bijou Sat 07-May-16 11:39:51

I have a No Cold caller sign but one day some time ago I was in the back when a quite mature man came round to sell new facia boards. When I said I already had the matter in hand he kept persisting. I carried on with the gardening ignoring him. He sat himself on a garden chair and carried on with his spiel. So I went indoors and shut the door until he eventually left. Salesmen still call in spite of the notice saying they didn't see it in spite of it being placed under the door bell. As I have walking difficulties I don't answer the front door unless I am expecting something. Friends know to come to the back door.

Samie Sat 07-May-16 11:24:10

We live in a neighbourhood watch area - we have permission to put signs on the lamp posts entering the road, and we've all got stickers on our doors saying that 'cold callers are not welcome and the police will be called'.

Seems to be working - they can still put advertising leaflets in our doors, but that's not such a problem.

Linsco56 Sat 07-May-16 10:50:38

My elderly mother is plagued by them and no longer answers the door but opens her front window a fraction and shouts "what do you want?" and pretends to be half deaf and makes them repeat everything. They usually give up in disgust!

Witzend Sat 07-May-16 10:34:04

I don't have a sign up, but I don't have any trouble saying no thanks politely enough - they always accept it. Maybe it's because I'm quite tall and dds say I can look quite scary when I put my mind to it!

However I made the mistake a few years ago, when a double glazing salesman from one of the very big firms, came to the door, of asking him for a quote. We were actually in the market for some new windows at the time, so I thought, might as well.

Of course I should have known better. He quoted some quite ridiculous figure, only to add almost immediately that just for today, he could offer me about 50% off - but only if I signed here and now, in other words.

I could not believe he was employing exactly the same tactics as DG salesmen we had in over 30 years ago. 50% off my a*se - why can't they just give the proper price without this stupid charade?

I declined, of course, and when someone from the company later phoned to ask why I hadn't ordered, I told her, adding that such stupid and patronising tactics would put me right off any company. Particularly theirs.

Incidentally we had exactly the same tactics from someone (again a big company) who came to quote for a whole wall of fitted wardrobes. He was only interested - and would only apply the 'discount' - if we signed there and then.
There was actually nothing wrong with our wardrobes, except that they were horrible white melamine with equally orrible handles.
Next time dh went away on business for a week, I emptied them, got some melamine paint and some nice new handles from Wickes, and gave the whole lot a makeover.
Took me about 3 whole days, but cost about £65, instead of the £3 or 4K the bloke had quoted, even with the discount. ?