Gransnet forums

AIBU

to hope for a donation?

(62 Posts)
Badenkate Sun 22-May-16 23:06:11

Watching Antiques Roadshow, there is usually someone who says 'I bought this for 50p in a charity shop' before being told it's worth £400. Is it unreasonable to hope that if they sell it, they make some donation to the charity? Or do you think that's generally what happens and I'm just cynical?

GandTea Mon 23-May-16 17:25:28

Certainly the animal charity shop in our village does not check things, they just sell everything as fast as possible. They are my favorite shop as they catalogue their books properly so I don't have to sift through.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 23-May-16 17:26:42

Hey! I didn't say I would keep all the spoils! I would certainly make a good donation to the charity involved! Just not to the donor. (ie the person who gave it to the charity shop)

Granjura don't understand what you are saying to me. I have said I consider car boot sales to be fair game, because they are quite different from charities. confused

annodomini Mon 23-May-16 17:35:28

On Flog It, I've quite often heard sellers say that, as they have made a profit on an item they bought in a charity shop, they will donate either all or some of the money to that or another charity. It has never happened to me but I like to think I would donate at least a decent percentage of the profit.

GandTea Mon 23-May-16 17:42:54

Next time i make a fortune on a charity shop buy, I will give all the profits back to the charity. It isn't going to happen, so I'm safe. (unless of course I happen to find a first edition Ian Rankin)

granjura Mon 23-May-16 18:04:37

jingl- apologies- misread your post - so we agree.

annsixty Mon 23-May-16 18:24:23

GandT my D has an Ian Rankin signed by the author which her H bought her at a signing in London.
The author signed it " To J who chose well" well that shows his lack of judgement as said H is now living a lovely life with his new love on a tropical island.

granjura Mon 23-May-16 18:35:10

Exactly Badenkate- the cost of having everything professionally assessed would be prohibitive- you can't expect volunteers in all branches to have the necessary expertise. As anno days, I sincerely hope everyone with a conscience would do the right thing and make a generous donation representing a good %age.

janeainsworth Mon 23-May-16 20:04:35

Where I live isn't really relevant Badenkate, but I think some people do make quite a lot of money from buying things in charity shops or car boot sales and then re-selling them on eBay. In fact HMRC are well aware of this activity and have been known to target eBay sellers.
Given the above, it's irresponsible of a charity not to ask a fair price for things they sell in the shops. The staff may be volunteers but could be trained to spot things of value and hold them back until someone more knowledgeable could have a proper look.

janeainsworth Mon 23-May-16 20:09:01

The other thing to bear in mind is that turnover is more important than profit on an individual item, especially if the shop is inundated with stuff, as many of them are.
Keeping something in the shop for months at a price so high that no-one wants it, is counter-productive.
It's better for the charity to sell a lot of things cheaply than very few things more expensively.
If someone buys something cheaply and then re-sells it, so what? The charity have gained something from the sale, and made space in the shop to sell something else.

granjura Mon 23-May-16 21:17:44

No problem at all with buying and re-selling at all- but in fair proportions.

BTW where I live the new craze is for free sales- where people can get rid of stuff they don't want and are given away to people who want them... some choose to give money in lieue to a charity, most do not. Better than being wasted and ending up in landfill (in UK)

janeainsworth Mon 23-May-16 21:26:43

That happens in the UK too, Granjura. Haven't you heard of Freecycle?

annsixty Mon 23-May-16 21:28:33

We have that here it is called free cycle. Sadly it is open to abuse as people take it and then sell it on. It is quite a business.

annsixty Mon 23-May-16 21:29:20

Typing together jane

granjura Mon 23-May-16 21:48:18

oh yes, we gave tons of stuff to freecycle when we moved- I had no problem with stuff being sold on- better than throwing away. But we also gave lots of stuff that I do believe was used for the FC collector-including 2 primary schools, and 1 unemployed lady who needed a trailor and tools to start a gardening round.

What I am talking about is 'bric-à-brac type fairs' where everything is free. Never come across this in the UK before.

Grannyknot Mon 23-May-16 21:58:56

We have a version of that where I live granjura - people are forever putting stuff out on the pavement with a note on it "Please take me". (I live in a cul-de-sac).

I picked up a great office chair recently.

Jalima Mon 23-May-16 22:23:14

Yes, our Transition group organise that sort of thing here too - I got some very nice FP toys for the DGC from one of the 'free fairs' and we have sent stuff too.

They have been holding them for a number of years.

Maggymay Mon 23-May-16 22:30:14

Many charity shops especially the larger branches have experts who appraise the
Antique items, local auction room assessors will often value rare items for free.

granjura Mon 23-May-16 22:30:49

great to hear- been out of UK for 7 years- and its a recent thing where I live now too.

janeainsworth Mon 23-May-16 23:19:43

Perhaps if you've been out of the UK for seven years gj it's time to stop making those sweeping generalisations and patronising comments.
Like the one about people on the UK wasting things and putting everything into landfill.

GrannyJane Tue 24-May-16 09:59:46

I was in a charity shop and spotted what I thought was a Clarice Cliff piece. I told the staff (who took it off the shelf so their expert could check) and didn't buy it.

granjura Tue 24-May-16 10:24:33

sorry jane, out of the country, but back every 3 months- with family and friends here, and property too- so we are generally very 'au fait' with what goes on.
But yes although we used Freecycle to give a lot of stuff away- I had personally not come across any 'free bric-à-brac' here- and was very pleased to hear it does happen now- great.

Sweeping statements? Tell me then, where does the stuff thrown away end up in the UK- if not in landfill? We regularly drop stuff at the Council refuse disposal facility near us here in the UK- and the amount of nearly new stuff in the dumpsters, TVs, computers, beds, furniture, washing machines, hoovers- most of them in good condition- is staggering- and yes, most ends up in landfill.
Fact it seems. If you have relevant info to counter this, fire away, please.

Where we live it would be crushed and burnt with all the other refuse, and provide energy for whole villages- NO landfill.

granjura Tue 24-May-16 10:33:14

just re-read my posts- just in case- and no, can't find anything sweeping or patronising at all- so no apologies required. Pheew.

Lilyflower Tue 24-May-16 10:46:16

Goodwill is goodwill. If a charity is involved a donation is appropriate and kind.

harrigran Tue 24-May-16 11:30:49

Washing machines and computers do not seem to end up in landfill where I live, all electrics and metal are kept separate and dismantled for scrap. it is not hard to recycle or give away stuff. When we extended and refurbished our house 100% of the household goods were given away to new homes :- washer, fridge freezer, microwave, oven and hob. The double glazed windows were taken away and rebuilt into greenhouses and the doors, in good condition, were used to renovate a pensioners property. All extra crockery, vases and ornaments were given to the local community shop as were about 100 CDs.

janeainsworth Tue 24-May-16 11:46:57

I rarely go to tips GJ because I don't throw stuff away, so can't comment on what is actually there or what happens to it.

Re your sweeping statements etc - I was referring to your overall input into Gransnet, not just this thread.
It seems to me that you never miss an opportunity to denigrate the UK population, whether it's misuse of the NHS, failure to take a shower before using a swimming pool, and now dumping everything in landfill instead of recycling.