Gransnet forums

AIBU

To feel in despair about the NHS

(24 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 17-Jul-16 18:43:54

A few years ago our gas was cut off for over a week while there was heavy snow. We were all issued with electric heaters and things for cooking on. They could not be returned afterwards because they would all need safety tests before being reused.
The wastage caused by Health and Safety must be astronomic.

rubylady Sun 17-Jul-16 03:30:56

The same thing happened with my dad's Virgin tv box. They have told me I can do anything with it as they no longer want it back. No wonder it costs so much if they don't recycle the older boxes. Surely they could offer these at a reduced price? I can't use it as I won't have a service. Silly.

Jalima Sat 16-Jul-16 18:11:01

Since the rules preclude them being reissued to patients in this country, could they not be sent to a third world charity rather than just destroyed?
A sister at our hospital used to take back unused drugs to send to a charity in Africa.
I am not sure if she still does that.

suzied Sat 16-Jul-16 17:11:29

Am I the only one who feels the NHS has become a sort of sacred cow that no one is allowed to propose changes to or criticise without being condemned as elitist or Tory or wishes to privatise? I think the idea of the NHS is great, but it's just got overall too inefficient and could do with real reform. Not sure who would be brave enough to take it on. Politicians only dare try piecemeal and ineffective reforms in small areas. The whole system needs a complete shake up. IMHO. Germany, France, and even Italy and Spain seem to have some areas of health care which outshine the NHS in terms of quality and efficiency. Could we learn something from them?

Greyduster Sat 16-Jul-16 16:23:22

Many thanks for the explanation. smile

SueDonim Sat 16-Jul-16 15:20:57

Gononsuch I only know about equipment because I broke my leg and had crutches etc! The time/money it would take to clean and sterilise them outweighs the benefit of them being reused. If people do return them, they are incinerated,

I used to work in a pharmacy hence I'm aware of the drugs policy, too. smile

Gononsuch Sat 16-Jul-16 09:15:05

Thanks SueDonim

That has explained the situation and I'm glad that you took the time, you see, it all makes sense now.

Deedaa Fri 15-Jul-16 22:02:11

I've got a month's supply of DH's chemo drug which is worth several thousand pounds. If he eventually has to go back on it that will be fine but if they decide that next time it won't work it will be a complete waste.

SueDonim Fri 15-Jul-16 21:20:02

Much of this is to do with concerns about bacteria and MRSA. Hospitals don't want to take the risk of infecting anyone with a serious illness. It's come about since HIV/AIDS and Mad Cow Disease, which were unwittingly spread through hospital practises.

Medication isn't reissued in case it has been tampered with. There's no easy way to determine whether that is the case especially if they have been in someone's home. Even without the bacteria side, the home may have had a cat or dog in it, which the next person may be allergic to.

It is a waste, I agree, but until there is some way of testing, that's how it is.

Neversaydie Fri 15-Jul-16 14:49:13

Absolutely agree with you greyduster
I couldn't help wondering why my DBs GP wrote a prescription for 5days when he had warned us he might not last 24 hours (he died a day later)We couldnt rerurn the 'complan'type meals either Three huge carrier bags-worked it out to £400 worth .Double sealed Fortunately the local hospice took those
Dd2 works inNHS They are desperately short staffed and she is always stressed It makes me so angry

Charleygirl Fri 15-Jul-16 14:01:47

It is totally beyond me why drugs cannot be reissued to another patient when the package has obviously never been opened and it is well within date.

Greyduster Fri 15-Jul-16 12:30:02

I have no experience of medical equipment, but the thing that gets me wound up, and is a colossal waste of money, is the amount of unused, still sealed, packages of drugs and medicines that are destroyed every year because they have either been mis-prescribed, or are otherwise not required by the patient (a friend's DH sadly died within hours of her picking up his next lot of medication from the pharmacy. Not even the paper bags containing the boxes had been opened). Since the rules preclude them being reissued to patients in this country, could they not be sent to a third world charity rather than just destroyed?

Charleygirl Fri 15-Jul-16 09:39:29

3 months after I had my #ankle pinned and plated in 2009 a lady with a van arrived and picked up all of my OT equipment. At least it would be cleaned and reused.

I have kept my crutches and Zimmer frame because I knew that I would need them after my next knee replacement.

DaphneBroon Fri 15-Jul-16 08:57:52

Occupational Therapy asked us to ring them if and when we no longer needed anything we had been issued with and they would collect.
Seemed reasonable.

annsixty Fri 15-Jul-16 08:40:17

Perhaps a large deposit charged might work.

annsixty Fri 15-Jul-16 08:39:34

The " drop them in sometime" mindset operates at our local hospital so of course many who were very grateful for the use after their vey expensive new Knee, hip, etc just can't be bothered.

rosesarered Fri 15-Jul-16 08:38:57

About 14 years ago I tried to hand back some crutches to our local hospital and it was like asking them to take back a plague ridden hankie!

Teetime Fri 15-Jul-16 08:32:06

That's what happens when beaurocrats run something instead of the clinical staff who experience shortages of equipment everyday and find this very frustrating. Some accountant will have worked out that the cost of collection outweighs the cost of buying a new one

shabby Thu 14-Jul-16 19:29:32

I have written to my MP expressing my concerns about this practice and the waste of public funds and tax payers' money.

obieone Thu 14-Jul-16 19:15:14

I was on crutches a few years ago, and it was a case of, when you have finished with them, " pass them in when you next passing". I did when I next passed which wasn't for a while. But I can only imagine how many were or are never returned.

Newquay Thu 14-Jul-16 18:26:51

I still have some AIDS after my hip op which the hospital wouldn't take back-how wasteful!

Mumsy Thu 14-Jul-16 15:04:56

same happened to me after my husband died they wouldnt take anything back, so I donated it all to the local hospice charity shop so at least someone would use the items.

Tegan Thu 14-Jul-16 15:00:05

Ithink the S.O.used to pass things like that on to the Red Cross.

shabby Thu 14-Jul-16 14:09:29

It's no wonder that the NHS is going under. My husband is disabled and is loaned a number of mobility aids via the occupational therapy dept for which we are very grateful. The maintenance, delivery, set up etc of this equipment is handled by a company called Medequip. I phoned Medequip to say that an item, a rollator walking aid that retails at £65, which was ordered by the OT on prescription for my husband is not suitable for him and could they arrange for it to be collected. I was told no they don't collect items that have been ordered via prescription because they become your own property and they only collect loaned items. I was advised to give it away or to see if a care home wants it. Something very wrong with the system - you couldn't make it up could you!!