Gransnet forums

AIBU

To have found this unpleasant and unnecessary?

(21 Posts)
Kateykrunch Tue 19-Jul-16 19:24:05

We called into a well known shoe store on a retail park, a sales assistant was having a right go at a customer who was returning something, the customer never raised her voice but was standing her ground and not accepting what the assistant was shouting at her, the assistant was really unpleasant, aggressive and loud. I saw another assistant nearby and said to her, I felt that 'that' was not needed, she asked me which side, I said I didn't think the assistant should be talking to someone like that and in that manner and that I thought it was disgusting, she said, well we have to deal with unpleasant people regularly and we are just giving as good back, so, I voted with my feet, grabbed the poor hubby (who had just found himself a bargain) and said we are not shopping here, we might need to return something and I wouldn't wish to be treated like that.

Cherrytree59 Tue 19-Jul-16 19:36:42

katie how awful.
Name and shame!

hildajenniJ Tue 19-Jul-16 19:37:35

What happened to " the customer is always right?" I think these assistants need a lesson in customer service. I started my working life in a shop, and we were taught to be respectful and diplomatic at all times, and if we couldn't help, then to refer them to a higher authority.

obieone Tue 19-Jul-16 19:42:19

I would report the shop assistant to the store manager.

Kateykrunch Tue 19-Jul-16 19:51:03

I think she was the store manager!

LullyDully Tue 19-Jul-16 19:55:22

Shocking behaviour!!!! Poor customer skills.

granjura Tue 19-Jul-16 20:01:13

Should report to the Chain Manager-and not jsut vote with feet.
Appalling.

merlotgran Tue 19-Jul-16 20:21:01

Name and shame on Facebook.

Deedaa Tue 19-Jul-16 20:32:25

At M&S we were always told not to be at all confrontational with customers. Smiling and empathising was the order of the day, even if you couldn't do what they wanted. And we had horrible customers, but we tried to be nice to them.

Cherrytree59 Tue 19-Jul-16 20:46:25

Just a thought.
A couple of months ago DD took GS to get shoes in a well known store that measures children's feet.
The assistant was very unhelpful and did not even attempt to interact with GS.
On a previous visit she had been unhappy with the service. but decided to over look it
She was now very annoyed as she has spent a lot of money on children's shoes in that (our local) store.
She emailed customer services to make a complaint.
They promptly emailed back with an apology and said they would be investigating the store.

GandTea Tue 19-Jul-16 20:52:11

Name the store so that we can avoid it

stillaliveandkicking Thu 28-Jul-16 20:58:14

Awful behaviour. I wouldn't have been able to help myself wading in and sticking up for the customer. How dare she raise her voice. Is it part of a chain? If so, report to customer services.

Judthepud2 Fri 29-Jul-16 00:04:14

I find naming and shaming on Twitter very effective.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 29-Jul-16 09:51:56

Was it Brantano? (Only because they seem to be on every retail park, everywhere)

Nonnie Fri 29-Jul-16 10:10:43

Jingle we were in one of those last week with 2 yr old who was 'examining' everything. The assistants could not have been nicer even though we looked at everything and didn't even try anything on. Sometimes I think it depends on where you live, not on the particular company

Tegan Fri 29-Jul-16 11:15:21

I went into a dress shop the other day that had a sale on. I drive past it a lot and often see interesting dresses in the window but have never seen anything I like inside. Anyway, with a wedding coming up I thought I'd check them out again. The woman who seems to be the owner was sat sewing and I tried to engage in pleasant conversation with her, explaining the sort of thing I was looking for. But, everything I said she came down on like a ton of bricks. Even when I noticed that she had a little dog with her and asked about the dog every reply was negative [most people, in my experience, lighten up if you ask about their pets]. I don't think I've ever come across a shopkeeper as grumpy. I don't know how you can run a business like that and not be pleasant. The shop has been open for as long as I can remember so it's obviously successful. I'd love someone else to go in and see how she is with them; maybe she just didn't like me sad.

Leticia Fri 29-Jul-16 13:35:19

There is no excuse for rudeness.
I agree with JudthePud and Twitter is the best place to name and shame as it generally gets picked up on.

watermeadow Fri 29-Jul-16 21:21:10

I took back a dress to a charity shop, it was wrongly sized. The manager argued about giving me a credit note (I didn't ask for a refund) and argued about the size.
I shan't go there again and have told everyone I know.

Indinana Fri 29-Jul-16 22:15:22

Appalling rudeness shock. Yes, I know many retail staff do indeed have to deal with unpleasant and arrogant customers, and I wouldn't blame them for wanting to 'give as good as they get' sometimes. But I would expect any shop manager to give a member of staff their marching orders if they actually carried that wish out!
But in this case, from what you say KateyKrunch, the customer appeared to be behaving in a far from unpleasant manner!

rosesarered Sat 30-Jul-16 09:15:45

I bet it was Clarks!

trisher Sat 30-Jul-16 09:21:45

Find the area manager and complain about it. Tell them just what you have told us, then add that you have posted about this on GN and will pass on any comments made. Then wait and see. I always walk away if any staff member begins to disagree with my complaint, find out who their manager is and then complain about both things.