Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I unreasonable?

(65 Posts)
mrsmopp Tue 26-Jul-16 08:13:49

We bought a little static caravan for our retirement and absolutely love our little bolt hole. We use it a lot. How do we handle requests from people we know, ex colleagues etc who ask if they can 'borrow' it? They say, 'ooh, can we be awfully cheeky and ask if we can have it next weekend?' If we said yes to everyone who asks we would never get to use it ourselves. One couple gave us a box of chocolates! But I feel really mean about refusing. There are relatives we haven't heard from in years suddenly getting in touch and asking for use of it. I don't want to get into the business of charging people as that's not why we bought it, but I do want to say please don't ask. If you want a week in a caravan then please hire one. Am I being unreasonable and how can I say no without upsetting anyone?

Marmight Wed 24-Aug-16 09:50:57

Just say 'Sorry, no' in the politest possible way!

We had a small holiday cottage in the Highlands for some years and only let our close family use it, apart from the time DH's secretary and 3 friends used it for a golfing holiday. They managed to flood the kitchen from the bathroom on Day 1, which involved having a very expensive plumber out on a Sunday for no reason (they had let the shower water drip over the bath onto the floor but we didn't know that from 150 miles away). Also managed to break a treasured plate which my late Mum had made and replaced it with some ghastly local pottery which wasn't the point......

Definitely refuse - it's yours for your own enjoyment.

Christinefrance Wed 24-Aug-16 09:13:40

I agree with Chris, just say sorry we don't rent our caravan but here is the number of the site office if want to try them.
Don't feel uncomfortable about it at all, it's your caravan to do with what you will.

mrsmopp Tue 23-Aug-16 11:19:12

Cazzagen, nobody who has asked for it has been in that position; if a close family member was, then it would be different.

bikergran Mon 22-Aug-16 21:53:53

Deff no! as you say they are charging around £700 for a week, so if you did! want to let it out then tell them that is the going rate smile.
We bought a touring van once , and yes we had an odd "friend" asking could they borrow it (tow it to their destination etc) we just said no sorry we don't lend it out and that was that.

cazzajen Mon 22-Aug-16 21:25:55

I understand, of course, why you wouldn't want to let it out and of course you must say no but I also understand what it's like to be so hard up you haven't been able to afford a holiday in years, two sides I suppose.

Rosina Wed 27-Jul-16 21:34:29

'No' is a very powerful word. If you can't be that 'short' with people just say 'it's not convenient' - if they press for why simply keep saying 'It's not convenient' until they give up. Don't put 'sorry' into the responses -why should you? It is yours to enjoy, and as another has said, other people don't always treat your things as you do, or even as they do their own things - as I have learned to my bitter cost over the years with lending items that come back dirty, broken, or not at all.

felice Wed 27-Jul-16 11:31:31

This just triggered a memory, when we had the first couple staying on their first day DS1 came home from a long run to find them sitting at the kitchen table waiting for there lunch to be served.
He showed them the fridge and utensils etc and explained where the local cafes were and went to collect his little sister from school.
They complained later that he had not made their lunch, that was a long two weeks.

felice Wed 27-Jul-16 11:24:00

We had a problem when we first moved to Portugal, suddenly neighbours and 'friends' who we hardly knew were contacting us to come and visit.
We accepted a couple of good neighbours and they were very unhappy that we were not able to take them out and about everyday, we were working, not on holiday.
One couple were quite offended when we refused to lend them our car.
From then on it was close family only.
Although I must say a few friends did book their holiday to the area and we had good catch ups when we had time

Sheilasue Wed 27-Jul-16 07:30:36

We have family who own a second home in Suffolk when they bought it they said we can stay there whenever we want to they spend weekends there and longer holidays. We go in August and have a short break its a lovely cottage and we can take our cat as they have animals themselves. We love going but would not have the cheek to keep asking to use the cottage.

NotTooOld Tue 26-Jul-16 22:29:13

When we owned a small property abroad we didn't let anyone stay there. It was ours, we kept it in immaculate condition, we had personal stuff there and DH would have worried too much about security had we let anyone borrow it. It was horrid to say 'no', especially to family, but that's what we did.

ajanela Tue 26-Jul-16 22:14:17

Something we find difficult to learn. If some one asks you a question they must expect a yes or no answer. You have the right to say no without any explanation.

I had a friend who I gave long explanation and excuses about why I didn't want to do things then I noticed she just said No when asked favours or to do things she didn't want to do. It wasn't rude she just didn't want to do it and why should she.

So when they ask a quiet non aggressive No. Sorry No would be la lie as you are not sorry. Maybe No we don't do that, is the truth and maybe a bit better than just No

Cosafina Tue 26-Jul-16 21:54:01

I have a bolt hole and I allow nobody to stay there - I've preempted it by, whenever the subject comes up, pointing out that a) it's too small and there's nowhere to lock away all my personal belongings (including knickers and such like) and that b) I don't even allow my daughter to go and stay there.
This is my response as soon as they ask if I let it out - and even if they don't ask. I sometimes say it's like an extension of my body, to try and drive home how personal to me this place is.
And it's all true - I'm not lying about a word of it! (Although I did let my daughter stay once - but never again wink

clarke4179 Tue 26-Jul-16 19:23:18

To be honest I get annoyed with anyone who expects something for nothing. I used to be an accountant and loads of people expected me to do their taxes free of charge in my own time. Now that I'm retired they think I'll be grateful for something to do !! I get out of it by saying that I don't keep up to date with legislation. If there are people who you are happy to loan the caravan to then tell them you will charge them mates rates

elleks Tue 26-Jul-16 19:06:30

Didn't I see on this site that someone lent her Spanish apartment to a relative, then later went on holiday and found strangers in it?

Chris4159 Tue 26-Jul-16 18:53:04

Just say no we dont rent it out but I can give you the phone number of the site office they rent out vans. They womt bother you again.

nipsmum Tue 26-Jul-16 17:59:13

You are allowed to say no. A simple straightforward no and change the subject. You do not have to give any reason. No white lies. Just no and be firm.

belladonna Tue 26-Jul-16 17:28:43

Oh dear, we were thinking of getting a static by the sea...so thanks for the warnings re pitfalls. We have a campervan and used to have people borrowing it...one was sick everywhere..too much alcohol..the smell never really went ..and another wanted it for most of the holidays and they were smokers. Result ..we sold it, bought a smaller one ..only insured for us. So why do I want a static? Some people never learn !!!!!

Diddy1 Tue 26-Jul-16 17:07:43

I have a second home in the Lake District, people we know can stay there for a small sum of £10 p/p per night this helps with Council Tax,gas and electricity,they always leave the place in pristine condition, I am very lucky.

Stansgran Tue 26-Jul-16 15:54:16

Why not say" I'll look in the diary to see if it's free. If you don't hear from me it's not free"and leave it at that.

AnnieGran Tue 26-Jul-16 15:44:22

When I moved to the seaside many years ago with my children I was warned that I would hear from friends and family I had forgotten existed. Wasn't that the truth! A two week stay with meals was often the norm for the first couple of years before I became clever at saying no. Mind you - most of them did buy the fish and chips on the last evening.

Bez1989 Tue 26-Jul-16 15:25:45

I agree with all of the comments. It does cost a lot these days both to buy and to use a static caravan. The site fee gas water and electricity all cost s small fortune.
We had one for a few years and only offered it for use to family members and a couple of friends. All we charged them was a nominal amount to cover the utilities that they used while there...but no charge to our daughter. One year in the autumn when the last person to use it was our daughter, we arrived to find large Santa Claus sitting on the toilet seat !! I told her his bum must have been very cold smile In your situation Mrs Mopp you must stand firm
in laying down the ground rules of who may and who may not use your second home.
And also ground rules to those who may use it. EG..Leaving it as they found it, clean and ready for you to use, taking their own bed linen and towels etc and taking them home with them for washing ! I hope you enjoy your second home and use it a great deal come rain. sunshinecupcakewine

sylviann Tue 26-Jul-16 14:38:00

Keep your bolt hole for yourselves and close family .If friends want a break let them pay the going rate if they are true friends they will understand.

cc Tue 26-Jul-16 13:56:42

We're lucky enough to have a holiday home, we've had it 1986 and bought it because holidays abroad (and particularly airports) were very difficult when our four kids were small. Since them most of our holidays are spent there, rain or shine - and it costs us about the same to run as a two week package holiday would today

It is mostly used by family and good friends. We have let others stay there occasionally, though we often regret this. We find that sometimes these people will leave the heating or lights on, or leave it in a mess - they just don't seem to value the gift to them. If it is free it is worth nothing to them - and of course it costs us money every time somebody uses it.

I think that you are right to say no, even if it is hard sometimes.

If someone has abused our hospitality we simply say that we have family there at that time.

Penstemmon Tue 26-Jul-16 13:23:09

mrsmopp absoutely you are not being unreasonable. This is your holiday home and you need to be able to use it when you want. It cost you money to buy and to pay the site fees etc.. Why do people think they can use it just because they know you?

I think you are right to say no. If you have close friends/family members who you are happy to have the use of it then that is a different matter but only when you know you won't be using it!

dizzygran Tue 26-Jul-16 12:58:40

Good for you mrsmopp. It is a second home to you - you have bought somewhere where you can leave your clothes and things for you to use without having to pack everything away when you leave and where you can go to without having to worry that someone else is there. You already let family and possibly close friends use it, which is good, but for people you hardly know to ask is a bit of a cheek. Enjoy your holidays