Gransnet forums

AIBU

To object to the mural

(110 Posts)
Galen Tue 26-Jul-16 14:23:40

That my new next door neighbors have painted on their end gable wall. All the other bungalows in the road are painted a crême colour and we are were a neat and tidy road

Galen Sun 31-Jul-16 14:49:49

It's been like it since they moved in. Nobody else leaves their rubbish outside and the building work has been going on since February
Builders lorries and vans have been blocking our road and access to our own drives.
They have two cars of their own as well.

durhamjen Sun 31-Jul-16 14:23:47

www.fixmystreet.com for your photos.
You can do it anonymously, and the one with the rubbish the council could do something about.
You put your complaint on the site, and get others to do likewise. Then see what happens.
You could say the front garden was fly-tipping.

obieone Sun 31-Jul-16 13:50:18

Anyone think Galen and her neighbour are the next gransnet article to appear in the Daily Mail!?

Galen Sun 31-Jul-16 13:21:42

For those of you who commented that the garden looked tidy:-
This is the front of the bungalow.

Elrel Sun 31-Jul-16 01:22:09

Don't people paint milk on stone walls to encourage moulds to grow to make them look aged? Maybe that would work on the muriel (as Hilda Ogden would have said).
I usually like street art, there were some great ones by a local artist on houses in Bangor NW in the 1970s, I wonder whether they are still in place.

Stansgran Fri 29-Jul-16 19:05:35

Do some guerrilla gardening and plant ivy along the base. Lob moss at it so it will spread and blend in.

Elegran Fri 29-Jul-16 18:47:09

Or somehow get a Pokemon to appear there, so that hundreds of youngsters converge on them?

Luckygirl Fri 29-Jul-16 18:11:54

Could you get some local teenagers to pop round while they are out and "tag" it?

annsixty Fri 29-Jul-16 16:11:02

You will either have to appeal to their better nature!! Or learn to love it.

Galen Fri 29-Jul-16 15:12:20

Council have been contacted and they say they can't do anything

Galen Fri 29-Jul-16 13:40:16

Hmm!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 29-Jul-16 12:56:14

Ah yes! I wondered about a band. I think I could live with it tbh.

Galen Fri 29-Jul-16 11:51:23

I think CJ Nites was her father who ran some sort of band and who has died and left her loads of money
She has used it to build a large extension to her bungalow and this is supposed to be a tribute to him.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 28-Jul-16 22:49:26

Galen, do you think you could perhaps have a friendly chat with them and try to find out just what the mural is all about. I have enlarged it by making it my (very temporary) screen saver and, to be honest, it is very well executed. In parts of a city centre it would probably look very good, and be perfectly acceptable. Would be interesting to find out just what it does say. I can't believe it really says "nits".

The flowers are very pretty (btw)

Nelliemoser Thu 28-Jul-16 22:38:19

I find the Oxford shark has some amusement value, but the mural is just nasty and agressive looking.

stillaliveandkicking Thu 28-Jul-16 21:19:45

Its horrible. I'd be so sad having to wake up to that every morning. Never ever thought graffiti was art, its ugly.

Linsco56 Thu 28-Jul-16 15:04:49

OMG!....What an eyesore!

That's what you would find decorating a kids play area in a park, not on the wall of a house in a residential area.

As for their rubbish,a call to environmental health would be top of my list.

All it takes is one family totally out of step to upset so many.

Good luck, I think you'll need it!

Disgruntled Thu 28-Jul-16 02:44:20

Oh, Galen! My heart sinks. I'm so sorry. I agree with the majority, that it's hideous, and an anonymous call to the planning department would be in order. Can you mask it with a trellis?

But what I would find most disturbing is what implies about them: I think it shouts a warning that they're determined not to fit in, it's giving the finger to all and sundry. It's vile and I would be very wary of them.

Christalbee Wed 27-Jul-16 17:00:08

It's absolutely hideous. I would complain to the council. It's bad enough with councils spending our money putting these things on the side of shop's etc that we all have to look at, but to put one so that it is slap bang outside your window is out of order!!

VIOLETTE Wed 27-Jul-16 14:31:08

If its been done for effect (i e to upset the neighbours) then they seem to have succeeded .....if you ignore it, you will probably find it is painted over (or removed, if, as someone says, it is painted on something removable)...it seems to me from reading this they have something against the neighbours ....so why did they move into the area ? Personally, I would love plastic grass ....save mowing, and carting cuttings 20km to the local dechetterie ...just give it a hose down ! and I wish our neighbours would paint something on the end wall ..better than looking at plain boring beige !

Lilyflower Wed 27-Jul-16 14:22:48

If it is not already clear I am completely on the side of Galen.

Lilyflower Wed 27-Jul-16 14:21:26

When I was teaching in the 1990's the staffroom was for teaching staff only. Later, teaching assistants and others were allowed in or invited themselves. The teachers tacitly understood the rules of living together and all was pretty harmonious. However, problems started later when others arrived and did not know 'the rules'. One incident stood out when they found the atmosphere quiet and boring and tried to play loud pop music. They found out very quickly that they did not want to listen to the music of others, for example, loud opera - or test match commentary. The idea was that no one could impose their personal taste on a public place so everyone had to be restrained in public.

The same applies in this case. The defacing of the bungalow wall has been committed to people who do not understand the dire consequences of everyone else indulging their cacophanous tastes as well as themselves. They would not like what others could do and they certainly wouldn't like it if every style and oddity were placed adjacent to each other.

This chaos is what planning laws, parish regulations and street plans are meant to prevent.

These bungalow dwellers have not the wit and imagination to see where it would lead were others as selfish as themselves. Someone ought to point it out.

And yes, despite the optomistic comments posted on this thread to the contrary, these people are demolishing the value of the surrounding properties by their self centred actions.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 27-Jul-16 14:09:46

The rubbish and car parking would bother me more than the mural (unless it was directly in my window view). Can't stand rubbish not being picked up like that, and smacks of not taking pride in appearances. Old fashioned I know.

Maybe the father's name was CJ Nates? Not much of a tribute imho.

merlotgran Wed 27-Jul-16 13:48:23

OMG. They sound like the neighbours from hell.

I would definitely contact the council.

merlotgran Wed 27-Jul-16 13:45:15

Sorry, Galen - X posts, re the wall.