Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to expect people to turn up at the time they said they would?

(25 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Fri 29-Jul-16 09:51:12

Yet again, we're sat waiting for a tradesperson to arrive.

We have photography booked for the brochure to sell our house. They were due at 9am , so we got up at 07:30 am to do that final tidy .

And here we are .... Still sitting !

It was the first appointment of the day, so can they be running late already? If so, why not a quick call to explain?

Maybe it's our military background but we're never late( sometimes ridiculously early lol ) and to me it smacks of ' their time is more precious than mine' .

Is it just me ? Or is it a symptom of moving stress smile

MiniMouse Fri 29-Jul-16 10:49:43

Change agents!! If they're running late they should have the courtesy - and business sense! - to let you know. It's an indication of their service. Been down that road wink

grumppa Fri 29-Jul-16 11:20:18

Inexcusable for them to be late without letting you know.

ninathenana Fri 29-Jul-16 11:31:10

Slapdash ! Not good enough

sunseeker Fri 29-Jul-16 11:34:01

No excuse for not letting you know if they are delayed (everyone in business carries a mobile phone these days).

As I said on another thread I had someone calling today to give a quote to sort out my garden, he was due at 11.00, exactly 11.00 my doorbell rang - bodes well for future service I hope.

MoBrown Fri 29-Jul-16 11:36:45

They really should have called. Hope they've pitched up by now with a decent apology. The problem is it's become so standard these days I can't get myself worked up anymore or I'll forever by annoyed and grumpy! Sad to see standards slip though.

spyder08 Fri 29-Jul-16 11:50:20

Go somewhere else NanaandGrampy. Recently my daughter and S-I-L asked 3 estate agents to call to value their house...they all turned up but only one of them got back to them with a valuation. Terrible service.
I do so agree with your comment "their time is more precious than mine". I do feel this applies to so much in life now.

Charleygirl Fri 29-Jul-16 11:57:32

I agree, change agents.

I do not have an army background, it was my upbringing and I also arrive ridiculously early at times. If I am meeting somebody, even 5 minutes before our meeting time I am thinking "where on earth is she"? It is rudeness on their part to be late even more so in this age of technology not to let you know.

gettingonabit Fri 29-Jul-16 12:03:46

Not just incredibly rude, but unprofessional. These are business people ffs!

Change agents without a second thought.

Christinefrance Fri 29-Jul-16 12:24:03

Just been reading another thread about a gardener not doing his job properly. The advice given was much more gentle than on here. Estate Agents and their ilk seem to be universally unpopular.
I agree though, your time is just as important and a quick call would have helped.

Judthepud2 Fri 29-Jul-16 20:36:29

We have had experience of tradespeople who just never turned up! What way is that to run a business? We never chased them up. Just employed someone else. We had one example of a tiler for our bathroom who turned up 4 days after he said he would. By then our tiling had been quickly and efficiently done by someone else. He was furious but we just said it was his own fault. I wouldn't mind if there was a call to explain the delay but no contact at all is just rude!

Did your tradespeople ever turn up N&G?

Jalima Fri 29-Jul-16 20:40:59

Not good enough.

However - are photographers 'tradespeople'?
Are they members of the Institute of Professional Photographers?
Probably not, thinking about it.

NanaandGrampy Fri 29-Jul-16 21:04:27

Yes Jud . Turns out according to the photographer we were given a 'slot' between 9-12 . Grampy told me 9am.

So it looks seriously like 6 of one and half dozen of the other smile

So I think in this instance it was a misunderstanding.

NotTooOld Fri 29-Jul-16 22:05:07

A three hour slot NanaandGrampy? That's ridiculous and definitely smacks of 'our time is more valuable than yours'. I can't stand people (not just tradesmen) being late either. I'm never late myself, usually far too early. I'd get another estate agent, there are plenty of them about.

cornergran Fri 29-Jul-16 23:22:57

This three hour slot seems to be a trend with all sorts of appointments in our homes from the arrival of a gas fitter to a parcel delivery - and now. Photographer. Frustrating and definitely time wasting but I interpret it as today's world, rather than an exercise in power or bad manners. I may or may not be right, but it reduces negative feelings so that's just fine smile.

Katek Fri 29-Jul-16 23:53:21

I have a friend who is always late for everything-we'll arrange to meet for lunch and 10 minutes after the due time I'll get a text/call to say she's just leaving home. It can take her another 20-30 minutes to arrive. Meanwhile I'm sitting in splendid isolation in the middle of the restaurant. She's notorious for her time keeping and it's turned into a joke that she takes in good part. I'm actually only half joking when I rib her as I think it says that she believes her time is more important than mine. It's very self centred and annoying behaviour but she's not going to change now.

Bellanonna Sat 30-Jul-16 00:16:39

I usually get given three hour slots for deliveries and I can understand thst. But an actual appointment should be made for a specific time. I get really cross about lateness but it hasn't happened often, and never without a phone call. Friends usually turn up early because they know I do, so that isn't usually a problem. My girls kept me waiting outside a shop when they were teenagers and I left after 10 minutes. I then felt really bad but we were all in the same small town and I didn't think they should have been late. They did learn a lesson though. I think grampy got hold of the wrong end of the stick today. Sounds so familiar!

NanaandGrampy Sat 30-Jul-16 09:25:48

I cant tell you * Bellanonna* where that stick is now ...but Grampy is walking like a girl !!!! smile

Bellanonna Sat 30-Jul-16 09:35:01

Oh, Nana&Grampy grin ! Think we'd all feel the same !

sunseeker Sat 30-Jul-16 10:23:42

I hate being late for anything but recently I arranged to meet a friend for coffee. We were meeting the other side of town (it's a 40 minute drive for me - 10 minute drive for her). As usual I left in plenty of time only to find roadworks on the main road which meant it took me more than an hour to travel just over 1 mile! I did ring her from my car and tell her and she was very understanding about it but I was mortified and couldn't stop apologising!

lizzypopbottle Sat 30-Jul-16 18:15:21

I try to set off in plenty of time but the loyal members of the 40mph club know this and they always manage to get organised to be in front of me. Their elite branch, the 30mph section, occasionally turn out to help. They work in cooperation with the local cycling club, known as the minimum-three-abreast club, who are drafted in on Saturday mornings. I am often late ?

Greyduster Sat 30-Jul-16 19:36:14

Yesterday, we picked up a friend, who had been undergoing a procedure, from the hospital. We took her back to ours so that I could give her some lunch before we took her home, as she lives alone and was not allowed to cook anything for twenty four hours. She was particularly anxious to be home for four as someone was coming to discuss kitchen units with her. So we rushed lunch, rushed her home for quarter to four - and the tradesman didn't turn up. All his appointments were running late apparently so he couldn't fit hers in. I would have told him what to do with his kitchen units, but she is more forgiving than me!

Kateykrunch Sat 30-Jul-16 20:16:22

Katek, My friend does exactly the same, we worked together years ago and she was always late for work!, we meet up regularly for lunch and she was always late and often would text me to say she was just leaving home etc., it really annoyed me, so one time, we were supposed to meet at 1 o'clock, I waited til 1.15, didn't answer my phone and just got in the car and set off home, I eventually answered her call and said that I thought I must have got the wrong date for our lunch and that I had set off back home. She is always on time since (so far, that is). It bugged me that much that if things had not changed I don't think I would have arranged to meet her again as it did really make me annoyed.

Auntieflo Sat 30-Jul-16 20:18:38

Last Thursday I posted an ad on Freecycle, and it was answered by several people. I replied to the politest one who said she could collect that evening, or the next day. No show both days, so emailed her and told her that I had had several replies, was she still interested. Yes, she was, had been travelling for work, but would come that evening, between 6-7 pm. No show, but a late email saying she had been caught in an accident and battery ran out of charge, will come tomorrow. No show. (MUG seems to be coming to mind). Next day, I sent her a message that as I had heard nothing, I would offer on to next person who never answered, then an email from first person, she would ask her Dad to pick up, if still available. As the second person had not replied, I said item was still here. She asked for address and asked when we would be around. Nothing, nada,confusedwas she just finding out when we would be in or out? Tonight no one has appeared, so will donate to charity on Monday. Time waster or what do you think?

Bellanonna Sat 30-Jul-16 23:08:29

Your post made me laugh * lizzy*.?