Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to find women's gymnastics ungainly?

(31 Posts)
DaphneBroon Tue 09-Aug-16 22:10:39

I think I am talking about the floor exercises, but outside of the amazing cartwheels, tumbling, backflips and somersaults, the posturing and pseudo dancing in between moves is, to me, really awkward and ungainly. Sticking out hips, spiky arms, insincere grimaces grins, weird ups and downs on and off the floor and NOTHING like dancing. confusedNot knocking their skill, but graceful it isn't.

grannylyn65 Fri 26-Aug-16 18:45:17

Kudos for even attempting a cartwheel! Always wanted to be able to but sadly not!
Was going to put on bucket list !! Ho Ho!!

Deedaa Thu 11-Aug-16 22:18:05

Some of the countries (yes I am talking about you China) do tend to use very strange music which I don't think anyone could dance to. The Russians on the other hand have always used very danceable music and have done ballet training alongside their gymnastics.

Candelle Wed 10-Aug-16 23:22:20

I agree, DaphneBoon. The rhythm has been lost and the interpretation of music is just nonsensical. Odd jerks, with limbs flicking hither and thither does not a beautiful fluid performance make.

Of course, I could do better if I could really be bothered.....

Deedaa Wed 10-Aug-16 22:32:39

The dancing and posturing they do on the beam is a test of balance. Even I could probably stand still on it. The rules have been tightened up lately as they used to stand around in the corners of the floor preparing for a tumble. Now they have to be moving and doing something with no pauses. For all the apparent danger there are very few serious accidents. DS was often in A&E as a child while my gymnast DD rarely hurt herself. It does do awful things to their bodies though. DD suffered terribly with carpal tunnel syndrome and has a lot of back trouble. But she wouldn't have wanted to stop.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 10-Aug-16 21:12:35

I've only watched the diving and equestrian so can't comment.

petra Wed 10-Aug-16 20:20:15

The men just don't look right doing the floor routine.

Irma Wed 10-Aug-16 19:44:32

I haven't watched any of the Olympics, sorry I find it quite boring, you'll find me gardening or knitting and reading a book.

hulahoop Wed 10-Aug-16 17:09:11

Wish I could do the moves they do don't think I would have the dedication good luck to team gb ????????

gettingonabit Wed 10-Aug-16 14:47:30

I thought they had to "fill in the gaps" though?

I think it may be easier (for us watching) if all gymnasts did the same routine. We could compare and contrast then!

Lillie Wed 10-Aug-16 14:04:47

I think it's the contemporary style to make the hold positions appear "ugly."

ExaltedWombat Wed 10-Aug-16 13:50:50

In theatrical terms, the routines need "cleaning". Take out the unnecessary padding. If a pause is required between set pieces, don't be afraid of stillness.

gettingonabit Wed 10-Aug-16 11:18:17

Isn't the beam about balance more than anything else though?

Felt soooo sorry for Louis Smith the other night. We've made such progress in the gymnastics perhaps we should be acknowledging and celebrating it rather than picking holes?

Outofstepwithhumanity Wed 10-Aug-16 11:13:32

Absolutely Daphne I have thought this for a long time, but been shot down in flames by my sportier friends, who accuse me of applying balletic standards to a sport. I agree about the actions on the beam - all flailing arms and robotic gestures- all seems a bit pointless. I have found myself saying "Why"? When watching many of the gymnastic antics.

gettingonabit Wed 10-Aug-16 10:13:58

margrete the first British gymnast I can remember is Suzanne Dando. We've come on so much since then! It's incredible to think we are competing on the world stage.

Beth Tweddle seems to have had an influence too.

margrete Wed 10-Aug-16 09:59:38

In the days of Korbut, Comaneci et al there were no British gymnasts at all that we heard of. As a competitive sport it has really come on in recent decades. Elissa Downie has just had her 17th birthday and she's been going to her big sister's gym since she was 3. Both sisters were there last night - we hoped to see a lot more of them and less of the Chinese standing around wide-eyed. But only because the 'Double Downies' are part of our extended family. We know the efforts their Mum has put in over the years, all that driving them to gym then to school, then back after school...Some of those Chinese look 6 rather than 16. The difficulty is to combine the strength and power with gracefulness. At that level they all try so, so hard. It's as someone once said, it's not a matter of life and death, it's more serious than that. And just one slip can put them out, as happened to Louis Smith the night before.

gettingonabit Wed 10-Aug-16 09:32:13

I think something has been lost, too, anya, but I'm not sure quite what it is.....some of the grace and elegance certainly.

If we remember Korbut, Kim, Comaneci and co, we're bound to feel a little bit nostalgic, to be fair...

Those Chinese gymnasts last night were so seriously tiny I thought they must surely be about 5 years old.

It seems to be all about power these days, so the time of the elegant, graceful gymnast is probably over.

Anya Wed 10-Aug-16 09:01:39

The style of woman's gymnastics has changed over the decades. Gone are the days of Nellie Kim and Nadia Comaneči where grace was combined with the tumbling moves and it was pure pleasure to watch.

Nowadays it's all about packing the high scoring moves into your routine.

While I still enjoy watching it, I can't help but feel something has been lost and I speak as an ex BAGA coach.

PRINTMISS Wed 10-Aug-16 08:54:09

They seem unable to decide whether it is ballet or gymnastics, and I have never really understood the marking, since few seem to do the same things. The beam is frightening, thinking of all the injuries it might cause, but then I am a watcher rather than a doer of these things, and after all, it is no good being good at performing things unless there is someone like me who can watch and appreciate, is there?

Marmark1 Wed 10-Aug-16 08:28:07

Of course you can express an opinion,you don't have to like everything about Everything ,we can like it,BUT.

DaphneBroon Wed 10-Aug-16 08:07:32

Well that's " me tellt" dj as Paw Broon might say. You have such an encouraging way of responding to am opinion. hmm
However, it is not unreasonable surely to express an opinion especially when the scoring for women's "artistic" gymnastics includes a score for "artistry"as follows.

Are there marks for artistry (dance/choreography)?
Women receive marks for artistry on the floor and on the beam. Routines need to be well thought out to suit the style of the gymnast. The judges are looking for an overall performance, which includes expression, confidence and personal style, with a varied tempo throughout the routine. The floor exercise has deductions for artistry of performance (0.50), composition/choreography and music (1.1) and musicality (0.9). The beam exercise has deductions for Artistic performance (0.40), composition and choreography (0.50) and tempo and rhythm in connections (0.10)

GandTea Wed 10-Aug-16 08:03:50

I can't watch the beam, as a man the thought of a slip is just too scary. The floor is great to watch, but what are some of those young girls doing to their bodies.

suzied Wed 10-Aug-16 07:09:46

I haven't watched any olympics yet, but have read about the sparkly costumes and a discussion of Tom Daley's swimming trunks. Not much about the competitor's sporting prowess. Can't say I am tempted to watch, may watch some athletics next week.

durhamjen Wed 10-Aug-16 00:06:27

Don't watch it?

Jalima Tue 09-Aug-16 23:33:07

I suppose it is showing total control of the body during and in between moves (unless they fall off the beam).

annodomini Tue 09-Aug-16 23:31:47

The posturing on the beam is ridiculous and ungainly. Why bother?