Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect a tumble dryer in a family seaside property?

(118 Posts)
Witzend Sat 01-Oct-16 13:44:15

Have just got back from a week in a seaside resort in Dorset - 4 adults, one under 2 and a small baby. The property was very nice and in a great location but I'm not sure I'm BU to have expected a tumble drier. The place would sleep 6 plus a cot, in 3 double bedrooms, so you'd think it use mostly be used by families with children.

Th property is rated 4 star, so not one of the cheapest by any means. I will admit I didn't check before booking, but what with a couple of wet days, and just trying to dry all the beach towels, never mind the little ones' things - and DD had brought loads -it was something of a headache without a dryer.

I know some people have strong ecological objections to driers, and in fact I very rarely use mine at home, but I do think it's a bit different when you're on holiday. There were balconies but no washing line, and even if there had been it would frequently have been too damp for it to be any use. There was a drying rack, but it certainly wouldn't take everything and little babygros etc. were still not properly. dry after 2 days. One of the heated racks from Lakeland would have been an awful lot better.

I've just been looking in this holiday let agency's brochure and quite a few of the properties, however many stars, and those sleeping 6 or more, don't come with driers.

IMO this is just cheapskate on the part of the owners. I wouldn't expect it in a smaller place just for a couple of adults, but I'd have thought the agency would advise or specify it for any larger property evidently intended largely for families with children.

BlueBelle Sat 01-Oct-16 17:23:55

Never stayed anywhere with a tumble dryer would be delighted to have a washing machine even have never expected that, I take enough clothes for the one or two weeks and hang my smalls where I can, so from my personal opinion is yes you're expecting too much when it comes to babies you just need a babygro for every day and/or night and lots of disposable bibs and nappies Having lived in a country with a tiny baby when we only got water turned on every fourth day you learn how to manage and many things we think we can't live without can be worked round if necessary

Swanny Sat 01-Oct-16 17:24:13

Witzend I'm with you on this. I certainly would expect a tumble drier on a holiday let, especially one so near the beach. Even in the middle of a British summer you can struggle to get towels dry and not everyone has a car that they can pile high with clothing.

Kateykrunch Why on earth would anyone want or need to do any washing on a one week holiday!! We always strip the beds and stick the bedding in the washing machine before leaving a holiday let - flight time permitting if we've rented abroad.

Tegan Sat 01-Oct-16 17:46:25

But most holiday bedlinen is taken away to be washed, isn't it? We always try to point out which linen has/hasn't been used but would never put it in the washing machine.

Stansgran Sat 01-Oct-16 17:59:59

I agree totally with the OP. I took grandchildren daughter and husband for a 2week holiday in Seahouses, it was described as luxury and had a washer dryer. In fact if you know the weather on the ne coast then you either have beautiful days or it can be foul. You have to pack for every eventuality and so I would expect some washing. The dryer part of the washer was useless. I took a suitcase of wet clothes home and I will comment on their website when I stop feeling cross about it. It was over £1000 per week. In that time we had beach towels to dry and DGD had a period.

trisher Sat 01-Oct-16 18:03:18

Well every holiday property I have stayed in over the last 13 years (since GS was born) has had a tumble dryer. We tend to go for high level starred properties. Have a look at other 4star properties in the area, if yours is a similar price I think you should contact whoever you booked it through and make a complaint, Good luck!!!

Ana Sat 01-Oct-16 18:06:26

Over £1,000 a week??? shock

You woz robbed...

SueDonim Sat 01-Oct-16 18:12:53

I'd expect a four star holiday let to have a tumble drier. Surely that's what you're paying more for - all mod cons?

As to why people don't take enough clothes for a week - maybe they have a very small car, like my Dh does.

FarNorth Sat 01-Oct-16 18:30:38

Maybe they even use public transport, including planes?

Jalima Sat 01-Oct-16 19:12:47

I would check the website or enquire by phone first, but, apart from washing a few things for the babies or emergencies, would not expect to do washing on a week's holiday.
With disposable nappies there shouldn't be so much washing

Although even in hotel apartments in Australia there have always been a washing machine and tumble drier - not so eco-friendly perhaps!

Jalima Sat 01-Oct-16 19:14:49

I think the OP went to Dorset, of course they could have flown from a long way away

Jalima Sat 01-Oct-16 19:21:42

Beach towels can be a problem, I agree.

We used to spread them in the back window of the car - dry really well on a sunny day!!

Those UV protection suits for toddlers are great for the beach and dry in no time.

Lillie Sat 01-Oct-16 19:25:10

Ana I know this isn't a thread about holiday property prices, but in high season we probably wouldn't stay anywhere less than 4* and would expect to pay around £1,500 near the coast.
A tumble drier is a must, as is a dishwasher, freezer and wifi. Sue is right, that's what you're paying for. If there isn't enough space for a tumble drier, then a washer drier is the answer.

Jalima Sat 01-Oct-16 19:33:04

Horses for courses

And food extra! The mind boggles.

Is that just for two of you Lillie?

Jalima Sat 01-Oct-16 19:35:45

Ps and I have stayed in a few 5* hotels in my time I should add!
Not since retirement though
Although we have stayed b&b 4* in nice hotels abroad including flights for that price!!

Ana Sat 01-Oct-16 19:41:06

I'm obviously out of touch with holiday prices, but I thought the OP was referring to house/apartment rental prices, not the rates for a luxury 5 star hotel.

trisher Sat 01-Oct-16 19:44:02

I agree £1000 high season is average. My DIL washes all her stuff when we are on holiday and packs clean dry stuff to take home- after all why not? She's back to work after she goes home and doesn't want loads of washing hanging round.

Lillie Sat 01-Oct-16 19:53:33

Yes Jalima, two of us, but we usually rent a place with 2 or 3 bedrooms for extra space or if someone wants to join us. We have to go in peak season due to work in education.
I agree, why not use the washing facilities (and electricity) on holiday if you've paid for it.

annsixty Sat 01-Oct-16 20:01:05

£1,000 a week in peak ho!iday time is not at all unusual for a 3 bed, well equipped property in a good location.

Jalima Sat 01-Oct-16 20:12:06

I am obviously out of touch!

Hiring a holiday cottage is not something we tend to do

nightowl Sat 01-Oct-16 20:26:02

For a five bedroom property (if we go with children and grandchildren) we expect to pay between £2500 and £3000. They are very nice properties but not luxurious. There are many large properties that cost £4000 or even £5000 a week. A tumble dryer is the least of my expectations.

I remember cottages in the 80's that had rising damp, mismatched and chipped crockery, smelly bathrooms. Things have changed a lot.

Ana Sat 01-Oct-16 20:29:18

Any advance on £5,000 a week? grin

Lillie Sat 01-Oct-16 20:42:57

I think what a lot of today's holidaymakers want in rented properties is an experience different from the one they have at home. So maybe a farmhouse kitchen, a private pool, a four poster bed, a fantastic view etc. I guess it comes down to being prepared to pay more for the value added extras.

Alima Sat 01-Oct-16 20:58:35

For the last three years we have had a seaside cottage holiday with the DGC in various resorts. Each one had a washer-drier. Did not used the drier bit but did use the washer each time. (Two of them had dish washers too. I have never used a dish washer I my life). I don't think you are being unreasonable Witzend! This year's cottage did not say it had wifi so I was going to get a dongle thingy. We get to the cottage and what did it have, yes wifi!

dustyangel Sat 01-Oct-16 21:04:45

When we equipped our holiday cottage in the Algarve, I thought couples or young families would prefer a dishwasher to a washing machine as it would be easy to rinse swimming costumes and towels and dry them quickly. That was 14 years ago though, before airlines made taking luggage so expensive that more people travel with hand luggage only.
We've been staying in the cottage while we get ready for some building work done on our bit and the D/W has broken down for the first time. DD1 who was here last week with my lovely son in law surprised me by suggesting replacing it with a washing machine instead. Given that it will probably only be family using it in future and our washing machine will be available just a few steps away, I don't know which would be better. I'll probably wait and see how expensive a repair on the D/W will before making up my mind.

TriciaF Sat 01-Oct-16 21:11:21

Do you get an electricity bill when you rent a holiday cottage? Or is the charge inclusive?
I've never had a tumble dryer but I've heard they use a lot of electricity. Maybe that's why they're rarely seen.
The last time we had a holiday rental all there was was a heated towel rail in the bathroom. The cottage was heated by an open fire - it was in the Lake District.