Gransnet forums

AIBU

National Treasure - I don't think so

(32 Posts)
shandi6570 Mon 10-Oct-16 18:02:02

Am I alone in hating this new fashion of calling well known personalities a 'National Treasure'. Where has this awful phrase come from and how and why do celebrities become so called?

The last straw for me is seeing Ed Balls called this just because he doesn't mind making a fool of himself on Strictly. Yes, I admire his guts for appearing on the show, but I'm sure he is enjoying the fame and money that comes with it.

However, that is it, he hasn't done anything to make a difference to our Nation, well not as far as dancing is concerned and I won't go into his politic career.

Am I missing something or AIBU? confused

Daisyanswerdo Sat 15-Oct-16 16:57:05

Didn't Julian Clary call himself a 'national trinket'? There's a sense of humour.

Mary59nana Fri 14-Oct-16 16:15:05

The late Thora Hird now she wa what I would call a national treasure her acting was just brilliant timing to a tee also her one liner were so funny loved her in old movies and in loving memory and last of the summer wine.

vampirequeen Fri 14-Oct-16 09:49:53

rosesarered....Me too but would that person truly be emblematic of our national identity lol.

petra Thu 13-Oct-16 20:54:37

Roses lol.
Did anyone see the series 'National Treasure' on channel 4 with Robbie Coltrane? That national treasure was hiding a very nasty dark side.

rosesarered Thu 13-Oct-16 15:34:15

I would have a drink, any day with a short, witty, face painted Irishman.smile

vampirequeen Thu 13-Oct-16 15:31:50

So if we think of Terry Wogan, Ronnie Corbett and David Bowie as national treasures does that mean that short, witty, face painted Irishmen are emblematic of our nations identity. That says a lot about British culture grin

Ana Thu 13-Oct-16 12:25:49

Cambridge - my keyboard seems to have a problem with 'g' these days.

Ana Thu 13-Oct-16 12:24:59

This is what the Cambride dictionary says:

National treasure - noun
an artefact, institution, or public figure regarded as being emblematic of a nation's cultural heritage or identity.

vampirequeen Thu 13-Oct-16 12:16:55

Treasure means a quantity of precious metals, gems, or other valuable objects. So I guess you could say that the Crown Jewels are a national treasure but a person? The likes of Terry Wogan, Ronnie Corbett and David Bowie were talented in their fields and brought a lot of pleasure to many people but that was their job for which they were very well paid. If we needed to we could sell the Crown Jewels (shhhh don't let Teresa May know) but we couldn't sell a person.

rubylady Thu 13-Oct-16 02:32:54

We have lost National Treasures this year, Sir Terry and Ronnie Corbett, David Bowie. I don't like Barbara Windsor. But I do think that some older "celebs" (a term I also hate) should give up before they lose it, David Attenborough, Brucie, (Phil Schofield, Holly Willoughby, Davina). I do get fed up of seeing the same old faces from the same pack of people, Ant and Dec, Stephen Mulhern, Rylan, Fern Cotton, they are all from the same clan, boring really. I don't watch them now.

gillybob Wed 12-Oct-16 23:06:05

Can't stand any of the "Attenboroughs" so definitely wouldn't put them in the frame. Agree Barbara Windsor has a very dodgy past so not her either.

Maybe (and it's a big maybe) my list would include Judi Dench, and Julie Walters. Can't think of anyone else at the moment. Definitely no politicians from any side .

Jomarie Wed 12-Oct-16 22:14:06

Isn't "National Treasure" just a showbiz term nowadays? A bit like most things being sensationalised for media content/sales? It's all about labelling IMO.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 12-Oct-16 19:49:53

National treasure = twit smile

Deedaa Tue 11-Oct-16 22:18:53

I must agree with vampirequeen about "The People's" anything. I blame Tony Blair for starting it with Diana.

DaphneBroon Mon 10-Oct-16 23:25:21

Going to be quiet soon, Nanabigboobs? We can all get some sleep then moonmoon

Nelliemoser Mon 10-Oct-16 22:41:58

Like vampirequeen I really dislike the term "national treasure" it is horribly patronising.
Just as bad is "The nations favourite" whatever.

thatbags Mon 10-Oct-16 22:31:41

I used to agree with regard to David Attenborough but I've gone off him in the last few years because of his very anti-human ideas.

Greenfinch Mon 10-Oct-16 22:30:20

The sooner the better??????
No offence meant !

Nanabigboobs Mon 10-Oct-16 22:25:51

and I might be gone quietsoon.

Nanabigboobs Mon 10-Oct-16 22:24:46

I have ambitions tobe a national treasure but it must bevery hard.

Deedaa Mon 10-Oct-16 21:38:29

It's certainly a very over used phrase. The only people I can think of at the moment who might qualify are Judi Dench and David Attenborough. Both people who will leave the world an emptier place when they die.

rosesarered Mon 10-Oct-16 21:01:15

thatbags you are so young ! go on, admit it, you are only forty five.grin
Alan Bennet is usually called a National Treasure ( probably much to his annoyance.)

thatbags Mon 10-Oct-16 19:02:27

I had to look up Barbara Windsor. I can't be the only gransnetter who couldn't give a rat's fart who famous people are or why they are famous unless they've done something really impressive. I do seem to be the only one who admits it though.

If Ed Balls is called a national treasure for dancing on Strictly (never watched it, mainly because of not having a telly, but I don't think I'd watch it even if I did), then clearly the meaning of the phrase "national treasure" is fairly close to nonsense. Scoffing, as in the OP, strikes me as the only sensible response.

vampirequeen Mon 10-Oct-16 18:59:06

I hate 'National Treasure' and the 'People's anything'.

Anniebach Mon 10-Oct-16 18:58:43

Oh a joke , thought he had been given some award