Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be irritated.

(83 Posts)
felice Tue 25-Oct-16 15:18:14

This is a small thing but really irritates me.
Contestants who applaud themselves during quiz shows. Why, I was visiting a friend yesterday and she was watching Pointless, and even the losing pair were applauding themselves, when they lost!!!!!!
I know it's not important but I find myself shouting at the TV more and more these days and this is one of the irritants.
Oh and the gushing guy on Flog it, you would think the seller had won the lottery sometimes.
I think I might be in a bit of a mood todayhmm

Lincsblue Thu 17-Nov-16 13:49:04

I agree with the self-clapping and also the ever increasing delay in announcing 'the winner'. Just get on with it!

Elrel Wed 16-Nov-16 02:46:31

Paul Martin is sweeeet!

Nelliemoser Tue 15-Nov-16 15:53:12

I quite like Paul Martin, Not like that appalling Tim Wonnacott who was full of too many "look at me" sly smiles at the camera and his awful ?wig/?hair. That was so clearly dyed it made him look a complete anachronism.

Guess who's a GrumpyGranny today! wink

DaphneBroon Tue 15-Nov-16 09:11:36

I love the ritual of wrapping the presents - clearing the dining table, a glass of something nice, something good on the radio, paper, ribbons, tags, all the paraphernalia for gift wrapping and the pleasure of a pile of wrapped presents afterwards.
Writing Christmas cards gives the opportunity to write a few words to friends or family I may not see and to think of them.

No, given that I don't spend much time on GN really, the time I spend on those I love is priceless.
Amazon is great, I admit, but I am not yet ready to hand Christmas over to them!!

Im68Now Tue 15-Nov-16 08:45:37

You should take advantage of the service with all the time you spend on Gransnet. smile

DaphneBroon Tue 15-Nov-16 08:38:16

Well with all that TV you've got to watch to justify your monthly expenditure I don't suppose you've got time to wrap the presents or write the card yourself.

Im68Now Tue 15-Nov-16 08:18:01

I thought the name of the thread was To be irritated, well a lot of you have certainly been irritated.

We've just spent a lot with Amazon, presents for the DGC (5,3) and Amazon well Christmas wrap them and put a Christmas card in and they will be here today. Money well spent.

I like the idea about spending money on wine, but I already do that. wink

BlueBelle Tue 15-Nov-16 05:11:44

Well I think I d have to watch it all day to get my money's worth at that price
I ve got FREEview and more than happy with that couldn't justify paying for programmes on top of the licence fee

Is it bragging to tell people you are being foolish with money ?

mcem Mon 14-Nov-16 19:10:32

£110 a month for tv! Bloomin' heck. Can't you find something more worthwhile to spend that on??

Granarchist Mon 14-Nov-16 18:11:34

Its because the director asks everyone to clap and films it in one take - it is then edited and used whenever needed. They can't film separate takes every time - looks weird but it is not live and I am sure most people would not clap themselves but do whatever they are directed to do. Does that make sense??

merlotgran Mon 14-Nov-16 18:06:16

Hope not hopes.

merlotgran Mon 14-Nov-16 18:05:38

This is probably an unreasonable moan and I suspect I'm on my own here but I get irritated when somebody puts 'Hopes this helps' at the bottom of a post replying to a question.

To me it comes across as asking for a public pat on the back when the recipient would be more than likely say thank you anyway.

If they have any manners.

judylow Mon 14-Nov-16 15:49:53

The clapping used to annoy me too but I think they must be told to do it.

f77ms Mon 14-Nov-16 12:54:16

I get more irritated with small things the older I get , it is an age thinggrin

BlueBelle Mon 14-Nov-16 12:48:27

I don't mind the clapping oneself or even the whooping what niggles me it's that eternal pause before the winner is announced I swear I could have a decent nap within the time scale

wot Mon 14-Nov-16 12:39:34

?

felice Mon 14-Nov-16 12:37:00

It is still a lot of money, I think I could find better things to spend it on, you know, wine and DGS possibly not in that order.grin

Elegran Mon 14-Nov-16 12:31:10

May be better at maths than me though - I should have multiplied £110 by 12, not by 52.

wot Mon 14-Nov-16 12:06:22

More money than sense.

DaphneBroon Mon 14-Nov-16 12:02:08

if you don't like it find something that you do like, and stop moaning on GN be like us and BRAG
(And then the rest of it)
Yep, that's what I call "bragging". hmm .
Whatever floats your boat.

ffinnochio Mon 14-Nov-16 12:01:22

One doesn't need Amazon Prime to listen to Spotify. It's completely free if one is prepared to put up with the ads.

Elegran Mon 14-Nov-16 11:51:17

£5,720 a year just for TV entertainment?That is about half what a lot of pensioners have to live on, total. You must be loaded, Iam68now!

DaphneBroon Mon 14-Nov-16 11:17:52

confused all heart again im68now or did I miss a constructive comment?

Im68Now Mon 14-Nov-16 11:15:10

Yeah Yeah what ever.

felice Mon 14-Nov-16 11:08:48

IM68 that is about 5 times what I pay for my cable channels here, if you bothered to read my OP you would have seen that I was visiting an elderly friend when I saw Pointless.
I never ever said I watched it regularily at home.
I watch a lot of Flemish or Dutch TV and also Belgian French channels.
Perhaps you should try them before you critisise MY viewing habits.
What a lot of money to spend, there are I believe many second-hand bookshops in the UK now, cheap entertainment ,,,no ?