Gransnet forums

AIBU

To refuse to spend almost £90 on a backpack?

(17 Posts)
NonnaW Fri 02-Dec-16 15:49:03

My 14 year old GD has requested a specific backpack for Christmas with link to same, which turns out to be in America. GB price in itself is over £50, but by the time taxes and shipping are added on it amounts to just under £90. You can get something similar over here but she doesn't like the colour of that one.

What would you do? (Bearing in mind I'm unlikely to even get a thank you)

chelseababy Fri 02-Dec-16 15:53:19

Offer her a contribution. If she likes it that much she can pay the balance maybe from other Christmas present money. Or ask her for an alternative suggestion up to your price limit. She is old enough to understand.

Luckygirl Fri 02-Dec-16 15:55:22

£90 - jeepers H creepers!

How much do you usually spend?

NonnaW Fri 02-Dec-16 16:04:40

Not that much, that's for sure luckygirl! She did reluctantly find one from JL but then moaned to her dad that she really wanted the first one. I have told DS that I will send her money, and as you say chelseagirl if she really wants it she can save for it.

tanith Fri 02-Dec-16 16:08:09

Sounds like a good plan NonnaW maybe she'll appreciate it more.

NonnaW Fri 02-Dec-16 16:10:31

Somehow I doubt it tanith she'll probably just think I'm being mean

thatbags Fri 02-Dec-16 16:33:23

Talk to her. Tell her you don't want to spend that much and explain about the taxes, customs, postage, etc. She probably doesn't realise there's all that involved.

It also depends what it's for. If it's for school then, yes, it's too expensive and silly to order from the US. If it's for mountaineering, bought in the UK for fifty quid doesn't sound so bad. There are good and bad kinds of rucksacks. Best go to a proper outdoor activities shop and get advice.

Good luck.

Lillie Fri 02-Dec-16 16:38:43

14 year olds are very conscious of labels. There's no point buying her a cheaper model if she isn't going to use it. I agree, give her a contribution and she can go about ordering it herself.

Christinefrance Fri 02-Dec-16 17:49:51

Yes that's what my daughter did if her teenagers wanted designer stuff. Gave them the money for a basic item and they made up the rest. They soon discovered which items were must haves and which were not.

Elegran Fri 02-Dec-16 18:23:11

I have just received a text on my mobile saying "Can I have money on my account"
I texted back, "Depends who you are. You don't give a name and I don't recognise your number"
Reply "Wrong person"

Was I a grumpy old woman to then text that I hoped the right person would get a please?

thatbags Fri 02-Dec-16 18:37:11

grin No, you were a mother who brought up her kids properly.

Ana Fri 02-Dec-16 18:41:32

No, Elegran - perhaps you might want to block that number though, just in case of repercussions? confused

Nelliemoser Fri 02-Dec-16 20:12:10

I agree with thatbags What exactly is she intending to do with this backpack? Is it for serious trekking or a fashion statement?

vampirequeen Fri 02-Dec-16 20:18:48

If she wants it then she can save for it. Children and teenagers have to learn that money doesn't grow on trees and that sometimes the answer to a request has to be 'No'.

rosesarered Fri 02-Dec-16 21:19:21

A big fat NO.If you usually pay out £50 for her present, then send a cheque.She can then decide if all the postage and packing charges are worth it ( her money.)

Deedaa Fri 02-Dec-16 21:19:25

I think a 14 year old is quite old enough to have the financial facts of life explained to her and to be told that Granny doesn't have limitless funds and requests for presents have to be realistic (and polite and gratefully received!)

FarNorth Fri 02-Dec-16 22:13:39

I hope her parents support your view.