Gransnet forums

AIBU

Reusing Postage stamps

(49 Posts)
HootyMcOwlface Thu 08-Dec-16 11:25:16

AIBU to reuse unfranked postage stamps? I didn't realise it was 'naughty' until recently and now I feel really guilty! I just used to think "Oo a free stamp!"

Loulu Sun 31-Mar-19 09:40:26

What risk?

Totaldogsbody Sun 31-Mar-19 02:08:32

55p for a 2nd class stamp is ok if you think that the letter you post could go all the way from Landsend to John O Grouts. Remember the money that you pay is the cost of transportation and the posties wages. Most people think nothing of giving Starbucks 3 quid for a coffee but the cost of sending cards which for most if us is the only thing we post nowadays, emails and testing have seen to that, the poor posties will be redundant in a few years.

peterjhon7 Wed 27-Mar-19 13:23:12

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

peterjhon7 Wed 27-Mar-19 13:22:24

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Jaxie Sat 10-Dec-16 22:18:56

Many a mickle maks a muckle!

ElaineI Sat 10-Dec-16 20:17:57

Never thought of it - not the main thing on my mind as too busy so don't even look.

mumofmadboys Sat 10-Dec-16 18:26:48

I think reusing unfranked stamps is theft. If you buy a meal out and you are not charged for the dessert, would you not point it out so you pay what you owe? I am shocked that so many think dishonesty is acceptable.

Ana Sat 10-Dec-16 18:21:39

roses, if you put a one pound coin into a parking ticket machine which not only issued the ticket but also the £1 clattered back into the 'change' outlet, would you feel that you'd stolen from the Council?

loopylou Sat 10-Dec-16 18:11:43

Too true I do!
At 55p for a 2nd Class stamp, reusing the odd stamp makes perfect sense to me - and no, I don't see it as theft or anything else ?

rosesarered Sat 10-Dec-16 15:18:56

why is it any better morally than shop lifting?

rosesarered Sat 10-Dec-16 15:17:42

I agree harrigran I have never done this, and it is a form of fraud.No wonder the Post office doesn't do well.When you think about it, you are using the postal service for no charge at all. Good job that most of us don't hey?

harrigran Sat 10-Dec-16 09:51:52

I am quite shocked to read that people actually re-use stamps, next you will be telling me that you obtain plrate DVDs. May seem trivial but it is wrong.

BlueBelle Sat 10-Dec-16 08:11:49

Muddynails I ve never heard of anyone paying extra because of an unused stamp so I think you have been missing out I think the theft of the Royal Mail whose prices are probably some of the highest in the world is grander than a few reused stamps, If it's such a big problem they should make sure their machines are up to speed and if that's the biggest crime I ever commit I think I m alright

Solitaire Sat 10-Dec-16 06:03:29

I've saved stamps from letters for the past few years for charity and it didn't occur to me that I could have used unfranked ones ?

etheltbags1 Sat 10-Dec-16 00:35:25

I just steam stamps off, hold em over the kettle and they peel off and stick back on

live7 Fri 09-Dec-16 23:28:41

Gosh....I wonder if this is a true sample of people? I used to do this when younger as my family did it. However when I married my husband was really shocked as his family didn't do it and he saw it as theft. After a little while I stopped doing it as I no longer felt comfortable with it and I do feel that it is wrong ... paying postage pays the wages of those who work for the Royal Mail. Just because you can get away with doing it doesn't make it right and we all end up paying more in the end if some people won't pay for their postage. (a bit like shoplifters getting away with it and us all then paying more??)

Grannyboots1 Fri 09-Dec-16 18:54:51

Guilty!! I opened the post in a busy office for years and had quite a stock. Especially after Christmas. I have had no success with the new style stamps.

grandma60 Fri 09-Dec-16 17:27:52

When I was working in an office any unused stamps that came with the mail were shared out between anyone who wanted them. Our view was that it was Royal Mails responsibility to make sure that they had franked them. They were very popular with members of staff that did a lot of eBay selling. Only one person objected, her husband had worked for Royal Mail before he retired and she insisted it would effect his pension hmm

muddynails Fri 09-Dec-16 17:18:39

Stamps on my incoming mail never seems to be franked, I presumed the P.O. had some sort of clever machine so if the stamp went through a second time the stamp is invalid and excess postage had to be made by the person receiving the mail,please some-one tell me I'm right other wise I'm going to cry at all the money I have spent needlessly.
I also re-use old envelopes, isn't it called recycling.

grannypiper Fri 09-Dec-16 17:00:53

HOOTY Its called recycling, you are doing your bit for the enviroment

ShGr Fri 09-Dec-16 16:37:37

You can 'recycle' used/franked stamps for Kicks Count. They will send you prepaid envelopes so you can send them to them.
www.fundraisingstamps.com should provide further details for other charities you can support in this way. You could also email [email protected]

LadyGracie Fri 09-Dec-16 16:10:27

I'll carry on using unfranked stamps and will even use the return franked envelopes in future. There's nowt mean about it!

joannewton46 Fri 09-Dec-16 16:04:01

Since it now costs much more to post the card than to buy it, I have NO problem in reusing stamps that haven't been franked.

millymouge Fri 09-Dec-16 15:30:52

Another guilty one here!!!

emilie Fri 09-Dec-16 15:20:37

How mean can you get!!Must have too much time on your hands.