Gransnet forums

AIBU

Excitement

(28 Posts)
Carol1ne63 Fri 23-Dec-16 21:42:44

When was the last time you felt truly excited by something? Spine tingling, butterflies in the tummy excited?
Two of my sons got married last year, one has a baby this year - my first blood grandchild - we went on holiday abroad this year and in 2 sleeps it's Christmas and I feel tired and flat as a pancake. Is it normal to feel this way when you get older?
We went on a night out with friends last week and I just felt bored and wanted to be at home . What's wrong with me? 53 by the way, so not old.

goldengirl Tue 27-Dec-16 11:11:57

The trouble is if I get excited my IBS kicks in. That said I did get excited when I went to Australia to meet the brother my dad never knew he had - and found they looked alike! It will remain in my mind forever. Imodium proved a very trusty friend and there were loads of free and clean loos wherever we went so no real problem - unlike in the UK!!!

Luckygirl Tue 27-Dec-16 11:00:28

When my depression was at its height I can remember looking at or listening to things that would normally have made me excited or moved and ..... nothing, just nothing. I think it is part of the illness - you just feel "flat." I thought it was interesting that rather than just feeling flat, there was my "other brain" looking in and observing the fact that I felt flat - fascinating.

I hope that you will regain the occasional thrill when you have had a chance to unwind.

Jayanna9040 Tue 27-Dec-16 10:39:48

Went to the new Stars Wars film last night in 4d, with shaking seats, smoke effects and flashing lights. Now that was exciting!

BlueBelle Tue 27-Dec-16 07:30:35

I can't remember feeling excitement since I was a kid in fact I would LOVE to feel excited I enjoy things but get worried more than excited for instance travelling ...I ve had so many difficult journeys that now I dread them, which takes away any excitement of the holiday or visit Itself, and it isn't done on purpose it's there nagging away I try all sorts of practices to change it but it has got much worse the older I get Everyone sees me as a jolly, proactive go getting Gran but I m not it's all a huge facade

I have realised over the years that I don't have the capacity to live in the moment so I am constantly worrying about the next step or analysing the last one it's a BLOODY horrible personality trait to have and I ve gone to great lengths to try to change it but it's still there never allowing me the peace to just be and enjoy each situation I suppose I carry too much baggage which just weighs you down

morethan2 Tue 27-Dec-16 06:51:11

I've had enough excitement. What with three weddings, eight grandchildren I just want a bit of quiet happiness. I think excitement often has a price as in disappointment, anxiety, or just plain hard work. I don't think my family will produce any more grandchildren so I won't be getting that very real pleasure and excitement. Yes some calm will do nicely thank you.

Thebeeb Mon 26-Dec-16 22:44:22

Big difference between expecting constant excitement and feeling a constant flatness and nothingness.

rosesarered Mon 26-Dec-16 21:48:08

Nobody should expect constant excitement ( only young children.) Looking forward to some events with a sense of anticipation, and enjoyment of life in general, with some flat or depressing times, is the norm.

Thebeeb Mon 26-Dec-16 20:05:24

Spooky!!!!! Feeling exactly the same as you OP and have same name. Sounds like circumstances might be similar too. Been like it a while now . Just waiting for something to change. Good luck.

Ankers Mon 26-Dec-16 11:01:16

absent, provided I am right in my thinking, you live abroad?
Can I ask did that suddenly make things a lot more exciting? Even life's little things? Did you suddenly see life through fresh eyes?

ffinnochio Mon 26-Dec-16 08:42:55

I do get excited, but it doesn't display itself overtly. It feels more like being filled with a quiet joy, often accompanied by tears.

JackyB Mon 26-Dec-16 08:42:28

I remember getting excited about going on holiday, but I think that stopped when I had to organise everything myself and be prepared for all baby and toddler eventualities whilst living in tents. One brain is not enough to contain all the stuff you need to remember for that - there's certainly nothing to get excited about.

Christmas too - one's head is so full of food preparation, decorations, who's going to sleep where and with what bedlinen, that excitement is not involved at all. In fact, it's best if any disruption or panic can be staved off and things are just relatively normal, on the outside at least.

grannyqueenie Mon 26-Dec-16 07:37:38

I'm.not sure I "do" excited in that jumping up and down way that some people do. But there are lots of things that give me pleasure and enjoyment, when a plan comes together, a special gift is given or received, seeing the family thrive, when I meet up with someone I love etc. If a special occasion is coming up I do enjoy anticipating it, but is that the same as being excited?

absent Mon 26-Dec-16 04:03:57

I find almost everything exciting – I probably have a very shallow personality. It is exciting when my youngest grandchild recognises – and says – a new word. It is exciting to cook something delicious to take to my daughter's house for Christmas day; it was even exciting to make her a "victuals box" full of tasty treats to help through the holiday season. Like most things, feeling excited is just the way you look at stuff. I even get excited when I go to the library and find books by my favourite authors that I haven't yet read.

I honestly don't think tiredness has much to do with it. I do 20+ hours of childcare every week and am pretty fatigued. I don't have enough time to maintain my garden but today I am excited that the little courgette plants that were transplanted only a week or so ago have flower buds.

Try standing in a different place and looking at what is happening in you life – it might seem ore joyous and thrilling.

Grandma2213 Mon 26-Dec-16 02:23:29

I don't have much excitement after cooking, cleaning, washing, looking after DGC etc, but I get really excited about the few things I do that are out of the ordinary for me. This included a hot air balloon ride, trips to the theatre with DSs, a holiday abroad with one DS and family and a public performance with my choir. The problem is I worry about getting a migraine and spoiling it. So far this has not happened though I get them at other stressful times. I have noticed that it is usually when there is some sort of backup so my sub conscious must be telling me something. It doesn't stop me worrying though. sad

As I am about to post DGD aged 4 has been sick in the bed. The excitement of Christmas!!!! Chip off the old block! Just loaded the washing machine.

f77ms Sun 25-Dec-16 15:15:10

I never feel excited and can`t ever remember doing so . I think it depends an awful lot on your personality type . I know I look forward to things like certain holidays , the birth of my grandchild in a month but it could not be called excitement blush
I am a very laid back , even tempered person prone to being a bit low in mood sometimes and I don`t think I `do` excitement . If you feel that something is not right perhaps a little soul searching to try to find out what is preventing you from feeling happier may work . Otherwise it could just be the fact that you have too much on and are a bit overtired xx

Carol1ne63 Sat 24-Dec-16 16:42:30

Thanks everyone. Going to take it on board and have a bit of a rest after Christmas Day xx

vampirequeen Sat 24-Dec-16 13:26:18

You've had a very busy year and it's possible you're just very tired.

Jane10 Sat 24-Dec-16 10:15:02

I don't want to be excited in the way the OP talks about. I do like having things to look forward to and enjoy life (or at least I hope to if this pesky knee improves). I have found though that I really don't enjoy evening social events. I like meeting people for lunches or coffees but parties at night? No thanks. Must be an age thing. Its not just the OP who feels like that.

Jayanna9040 Sat 24-Dec-16 09:41:05

Well you won't feel excited unless you do something exciting! Perhaps you're in a bit of a rut and need to make some changes? What makes the adrenaline flow for you? Abseiling? New job? Travelling. Lover?!!!!!!??

Ankers Sat 24-Dec-16 08:51:12

Yes, tired is one thing - too much babysitting perhaps? But being flat a lot of the time is another.

M0nica Sat 24-Dec-16 08:21:36

Could you be developing depression? You are at menopausal age when one's hormones are all over the place and this can cause mood changes and depression. Best caught early.

Ankers Sat 24-Dec-16 08:09:20

I am about the same age, and dont feel excited like I used too.
Nothing wrong, but just sort of feel I have seen most things before.

Having said that, I very much enjoy life.

Carol1ne63 Sat 24-Dec-16 05:29:31

Thanks rubylady and Swanny
Yes, there's a lot going on. Family coming for Christmas, some on the day and some on Boxing Day. One of my children has fallen out with her sibs this year - badly- so still not sure if she'll come.
Just finished my childminding st 6 last night. That was some shift from noon ! The big ones were harder work than the Wee ones.
Then during the break we have visits to and from elderly relatives so I suppose it does feel a bit full on.
Thank you though. I'm going to try hard to get some quiet time for DH and me just to sit and chill out.
Have a good Chrustmas and New year yourselves xx

rubylady Sat 24-Dec-16 02:55:49

Just gone on Santa Tracker and it's 7 hours until he sets off from the NOrth Pole - now that is exciting! tchgrin

rubylady Sat 24-Dec-16 02:25:51

It's ok Carol to feel like you do. You have been daughter, wife, mother and now grandma, no wonder you are exhausted. You need to take some time out for yourself, discover yourself. I am 52 years old and this last couple of years have changed things around a bit. This is the first year I am on my own, my DS now having gone back to uni as some mates were going back too and he wanted to spend "down" time with them. Plus, he isn't a great fan of Christmas anyway. He was here for a while, but I am more than happy to be on my own now. I do get excited for things, mainly for Christmas, programmes on tele where I like the people on them. And I know they are going to make me laugh.

Do you still have any children at home? Are you still mum at home, as well as wife, running a home, babysitting, etc. etc., the list goes on. Get the bare minimum done for Christmas now and go and have a sneaky nap, recharge your batteries. Take some iron tablets. Are you through the menopause? It all adds to taking it out of your body.

I practically ran out of the garden centre today as it was noisy, busy, music blaring, too twinkly and sparkly (why do they overdo it?) and just annoying really. So back home to peace and quiet and a sleep later in my lovely comfy bed. Don't worry about it, just listen to your body and go with it. Take care. X