Gransnet forums

AIBU

It's not New Years!

(65 Posts)
phoenix Fri 30-Dec-16 00:30:51

Well, yes, it's New Years Eve, followed by New Years Day, but I don't understand this thing of referring to "New Years", as in "what are you doing for New Years?"

Well, for this New Year I'll be staying in, having a quiet night, but as I'm without the gift of foresight, I haven't the foggiest idea as to what I might be doing for future ones!

M0nica Thu 05-Jan-17 14:55:01

Were they tasty and did he eat the dogs as well?

annifrance Thu 05-Jan-17 13:28:46

Our famer neighbour had the hunt for dinner last Wednesday and the most amazing firework display followed, which we could see from our windows, much to the delight of my grandchildren.

Yorkshiregel Mon 02-Jan-17 15:34:11

Just found out that my niece got engaged to a lovely man on the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve! So happy for her.
She got bells and fireworks and a beautiful ring.

Yorkshiregel Mon 02-Jan-17 15:31:42

Elegran, yes Scotland is still part of the 'United' Kingdom. Although Mrs Sturgeon would have it otherwise. Long may it remain I say. Lovely people the Scots. I remember watching was it Jimmy Shand and his band letting in the New Year and we always enjoyed it. We used to go first footing when I was younger, with money, coal and food of some kind. That seems to have died out now. Isn't it strange how that happens?

When we lived in Norway we let the New Year in twice as they were on a different time from us by one hour.

Elegran Mon 02-Jan-17 13:22:44

Isn't Scotland in the UK any more? Has Independence gone through while I was out of action with some virus or other?

Yes, annmarg I moved in the opposite direction, but I noticed that too. New Year in Scotland is the first of January. New Year's Eve is Hogmanay. People wish one another a Happy New Year the first time they meet after midnight, sometimes it is a few days later, but it peters out once January is well on its way.

Towards the end of December, they may say that they hope someone has a Guid New Year "if I don't see you".

Yorkshiregel Mon 02-Jan-17 12:02:14

annemarg it is customary in UK to wish people 'Happy New Year' the first time you meet them in the New Year. It does not have to be on New Year's Day.

We used to party but we don't stay up now as there is no body around to party with.

Yorkshiregel Mon 02-Jan-17 11:58:58

Did you bring in the New Year? We went to bed at 8pm and would have slept through if it had not been for the fireworks waking us up.

Happy New Year everyone! Hope this one is better than the last.

Floradora9 Sat 31-Dec-16 20:28:06

It was deemed unlucky to wish anyone " Happy New Year " before the bells at midnight on the 31st . If you wanted to say it you said " Happy NewYear when it comes "

Wheniwasyourage Sat 31-Dec-16 17:43:23

Yes, annemarg, I feel that "Happy New Year" is what we say on New Year's Day - as soon as the bells chime in fact - and for several days afterwards when meeting friends for the first time in a year. Today I was a bit taken aback to be wished a Happy New Year by a friend, but as she is English, what you say would explain it. Obviously I haven't met her on Hogmanay before! Naturally I wished her the same and we parted on good terms and with mutual satisfaction smile

annemarg Sat 31-Dec-16 16:44:57

I don't know about the New Years thing but since I came to England I notice that people say "Happy New Year" the day before or even before that, whereas in Scotland I'm sure people only actually say it on New Year's Day!

Has anyone else noticed this?

I don't know about the New Years thing but since I came to England I notice that people say "Happy New Year" the day before or even before that, whereas in Scotland I'm sure people only actually say it on New Year's Day!

annemarg Sat 31-Dec-16 16:44:56

JackyB Sat 31-Dec-16 08:29:03

We definitely didn't have fireworks. When I first came to Germany as an au pair, in 1973, and the parents of the children I was looking after went out for a New Year's Eve party, the father said, just as he was going - "don't forget to look out of the window at midnight". I thought they might have put a bottle of champagne on the balcony for me, or something.

So I was very surprised to see that fireworks were going off all over town. I hadn't expected that at all.

The Germans thought that New Year's Eve in France was boring because they didn't have fireworks at New Year either. The French have them on 14th July, but there is no other day when fireworks are let off in Germany. The sales regulations for fireworks are very strict - they are only allowed to be sold on 29th - 31st December. However, people do import them from elsewhere, or save them, because there are always a few go off when Germany scores a goal in an international football match.

It wasn't until the Millennium celebrations, ringing in the year 2000, that fireworks were let off all over the world, and since then it has caught on in other countries (such as the UK and France)

31st of December is St Silvester's night - so anything to do with New Year's Eve is called Silvester.... in Germany. Silvesterparty, Silvesternacht, etc.

Sorry - that was all a bit boring. I hope everyone has a lovely evening and a great start to the New Year, whatever you call it!

thatbags Sat 31-Dec-16 08:17:26

Just for the record, Judith Ralston, Scottish weather reporter/forecaster (with a beautiful voice; listen to her if you can) says: "Happy Hogmanay and Ne'er day".

Legs55 Fri 30-Dec-16 23:47:34

I'll be sitting at home on my own as usual - haven't celebrated since my DD was little & she's 36 now.

Fireworks all around I expect, no dog to worry about but a cat who doesn't care, he goes out as normal - no fear. I find this strange as normally loud noises frighten him, dustbin lorry terrifies him even when he's in his "sanctuary" (on snuggle fleece on my bed)tchconfused

DaphneBroon Fri 30-Dec-16 23:24:57

Another one for " Old Year's Night "as in my post earlier today (13.01!) Didn't know you were a Scot N&G!! smile
As for "A guid New Year tae ane an a' " granny 23, my late father used to maintain the second line should be
"And money may ye see!"
Wishful thinking ?

NanaandGrampy Fri 30-Dec-16 22:09:30

My Gran always called it Old Years Night and then New Years Day.

Annierose Fri 30-Dec-16 18:48:36

well, I do wish everyone a good New Year, even if I ask what they are doing for 'New Year's' meaning the 31st.
I grew up in area were there were a lot of USAF bases. DH has occasionally pointed out that he has heard me use Americanisms since we met in the 60s (and they wouldn't have come from TV)

Granny23 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:44:49

A Guid New Year to Ane An' A'

A guid new year to ane an' a'
An' mony may ye see,
An' during a' the years to come,
O happy may ye be.
An' may ye ne'er hae cause to mourn,
To sigh or shed a tear;
To ane an'a baith great an' sma'
A hearty guid New year.

Chorus
A guid new year to ane an' a'
An' mony may ye see,
An' during a' the years to come,
O happy may ye be.

2. O time flies past, he winna wait,
My friend for you or me,
He works his wonders day by day,
And onward still doth flee.
O wha can tell when ilka ane,
I see sae happy here,
Will meet again and merry be
Anither guid New year.
Chorus

3. We twa ha'e baith been happy lang.
We ran about the braes.
In yon wee cot beneath the tree,
We spent our early days.
We ran about the burnie's side,
The spot will aye be dear,
An'those that used to meet us there,
We'll think on mony a year.
Chorus

4. Noo let us hope our years may be
As guid as they ha'e been,
And trust we ne'er again may see,
The sorrows we ha'e seen.
And let us wish that ane an'a'
Our friends baith far an' near,
May aye enjoy in times to come -
A hearty guid New year!

bellsisabelle Fri 30-Dec-16 18:41:25

And I'm totally fed up with all this business of, "how soon can it all be over?" too. While we're on the subject. hmm

bellsisabelle Fri 30-Dec-16 18:39:46

It's just short for New Year's Eve or Day. Where's the problem? confused

rubylady Fri 30-Dec-16 18:35:52

Happy New Years Folks! grin

For anyone who has a dog who might be scared of fireworks, there are calming tablets which I will be giving to mine for a couple of days, just to keep her from skitzing out at every bang.

I've found alcohol again so will be having a drink (only the one though probably). tchsmile

Lewlew Fri 30-Dec-16 17:40:30

Hear, hear, or here, here, or year, year's! wink

Elrel Fri 30-Dec-16 17:30:16

Happy, healthy and peaceful days in 2017 - whatever you prefer to call 31st December!?