Gransnet forums

AIBU

Syne Syne Syne

(13 Posts)
felice Sun 01-Jan-17 00:38:20

Ok a late night rant, but if they are going to sing it please please get the words right.
Auld Lang Syne S S S. Not Zyne ZZZ.
Ok off to bed A Guid New Year tae one and all.

merlotgran Sun 01-Jan-17 00:50:29

Is it really that important? hmm

JackyB Sun 01-Jan-17 06:02:32

Yes, that one annoys me too! (even though I'm English!)

Whether an 's' is aspirated or not is very important to me, asI hear a lot of Germans speaking English and they usually get it wrong. They don't seem to hear the difference. They can't say Jesus either - it always comes out as 'cheeses'. Sometimes it can change the meaning!

felice Sun 01-Jan-17 08:42:08

Merlot, I am sure if thousands of people sang God save the Quine(Doric for girl) people would be fast enough to complain.
Is it so hard to get a letter right?????

DaphneBroon Sun 01-Jan-17 08:44:55

First World Problem and only once a year at that.
If you want to be pedantic and you are of course right, might I add it's a "guid New Year tae ane and a'" (ane as in yin) flowers

felice Sun 01-Jan-17 08:49:31

I'm from Edinburgh my Father would be turning in his grave if I used too much slanggrin.

mcem Sun 01-Jan-17 08:54:42

Significant difference between slang and dialect!

DaphneBroon Sun 01-Jan-17 08:57:35

I didn't realise they spoke Doric in Morningside.
It's not slang. I'm from the Borders.
For reference

A Guid New Year to ane an' a'

A guid new year to ane an' a'
An' mony may ye see,
An' during a' the years to come,
O happy may ye be.
An' may ye ne'er hae cause to mourn,
To sigh or shed a tear;
To ane an'a baith great an' sma'
A hearty guid New year.

Chorus
A guid New Year to ane an' a'
An' mony may ye see,
An' during a' the years to come,
O happy may ye be.

FarNorth Sun 01-Jan-17 09:08:48

I agree with you, felice. I put that programme on for midnight, and quickly put it off again as the presenter, and then the singer, mangled the word.

"God Save the Quine" would be worth a go, tho. grin

felice Sun 01-Jan-17 09:17:59

Colinton dear, not Morningside, my Dad was very particular aboot ma speech, I then lived in the North east for many years. I have spoken more proper since I moved abroad, DD and I have friends who cannot understand us when we are talking with each other.
Funny thing is I have heard Auld Lang Syne sung in many countries by various nationalities and they usually get it right.

vampirequeen Sun 01-Jan-17 09:20:08

It's so irritating if somethings grates on you every time you hear it. I hate the advert phrase, 'Nothing works better than...'. If nothing works better than you don't need the product. I know it's an accepted phrase but it drives me insane.

Floradora9 Sun 01-Jan-17 20:22:08

I agree and I get really upset when whisky made in Scotland is called whiskey . It really is a minor point but still grates with me.
On a lighter note DGD was singing a carol about lighting a candle in the darkness. She turned to me and asked " what does duckness mean ? " He little sister insists that you should sing " glad timings we bring " She says her teacher says so .

Ankers Sun 01-Jan-17 21:13:26

There is a whole topic on gransnet for pedantics. I have no idea why.
But it seems a busy topic so I dont see what the problem is with this thread and particular angle.