Gransnet forums

AIBU

Disgusting!

(100 Posts)
Penstemmon Tue 10-Jan-17 22:19:07

AIBU to be irritated by the overuse/incorrect use of the word 'Disgusting'?

I see it frequently used to express anger, opposition, disapproval and annoyance but rarely in response to a truly 'disgusting' situation.

Disgust for me is a physical revulsion..I experience disgust when I see a mass of maggots or smell fish soup or see someone eating snot!!

I do not feel disgust when I see people wearing certain clothes, hairstyles etc. I am not disgusted by theft or fraud etc. I may experience other responses but not disgust!

Starlady Sun 12-Feb-17 14:04:01

Good to see people who truly appreciate the English language! Don't see enough of that!

I agree - most of the things that people today call "Awesome" don't really inspire awe, and most of the things they call "disgusting" don't fit that description either. But words seem to follow "fashion," especially among young people. And those words just seem to be "in style" right now.

TBF, does everything we call "wonderful" really fill us with wonder? And yet, look how overused that word has become over the years.

Elegran Sun 12-Feb-17 10:42:52

Sounds as though they can't spell and have mixed up similar words. I can see the progression from "tired of that person" to "weary of that person", though, if they mean that and not that they don't trust the person.

MissAdventure Sun 12-Feb-17 10:27:01

I can't understand how the word 'weary' has come into use in the sense of "I was a bit weary of that person/situation as I hadn't encountered them before".
Is this right? I always thought 'wary' was the word, but I've seen weary used in that context a few times now.

Elegran Sun 12-Feb-17 10:16:46

gilly I remember "what can I do you for?" from my grandparents in Sussex, so it can't just be Yorkshire. In the days of rapacious landladies letting rooms to single men, there was also a spoof version of the "Room to let" notice, that went "Young men taken in and done for."

mumofmadboys Sun 12-Feb-17 09:32:33

That made me laugh Greyduster!

Greyduster Sun 12-Feb-17 09:03:01

The parlance seems to have done a backflip now, MOMB. One of the boys at GS's party yesterday, having inspected the cake, said "Aw, that's really sick!" I gather that it is meant as a compliment confused!

JackyB Sun 12-Feb-17 08:58:35

Oh yes. I remember "chronic". At least that has gone back to its original meaning (sort of).

mumofmadboys Sun 12-Feb-17 08:20:46

I remember as a teenager saying everything was chronic meaning awful. Can others remember that?

Elrel Sun 12-Feb-17 00:01:11

'Stunning' irritates me, especially when used by some proud young person of their own achievement. What happened to modesty, humility or simply keeping your total awesomeness to yourself?
Totes amazeballs, innit?

varian Sat 21-Jan-17 17:11:08

Why do so many people when asked a question, start the answer by saying "so"?

Yorkshiregel Thu 19-Jan-17 14:53:18

Gillybob, It may well be, but I don't live in Yorkshire, I live in Staffordshire now, just on the border with Shropshire.

gillybob Wed 18-Jan-17 13:58:55

I have never come across "Swuft", "Belting" or "what can I do you for?" Yorkshiregel Maybe they are typically Yorkshire terms confused

"Pet" is a term of endearment often used here in the North East (not by me, mind you) although it doesn't bother me at all when I hear it.

Yorkshiregel Wed 18-Jan-17 13:47:05

rosesarered you are so right. 'Swuft' and 'belting' and phrases such as 'What can I do you for' really grate with me. Also I hate being called 'darlin' by men I do not know, or 'pet' by women who sometimes give you a squeeze of your hand. They think you have turned in to a simpleton just because you have a few white hairs.

Yorkshiregel Wed 18-Jan-17 13:38:30

Ana, are your books English or American? I know what you mean though. It is still not correct English grammar.

Yorkshiregel Wed 18-Jan-17 13:36:09

I hate people saying 'delicious' for things you cannot eat. ie 'That hat is delicious!', 'That colour is delicious'! Why do they do it? It makes them look foolish.

gillybob Wed 18-Jan-17 08:01:57

My granddaughters are so alike sometimes they are almost interchangeable and often say what each other is thinking. Lately one will say something and the other will just say "same" . Which presumably means "that's what I think too" or "I agree" .

Nelliemoser Wed 18-Jan-17 07:53:29

I hate "awesome" and these people who keep shouting "Oh my god" all the time, and several more such examples I can't think of right now.

Grumpy old bat that I am.

TerriBull Tue 17-Jan-17 13:25:22

I agree with the op and another word that is used to describe say disappointment these days is "devastated" such an overstatement. Also "awesome" as loved by Americans I remember ordering a couple of coffees in the States waiter's response "awesome!" I wanted to respond with "you're mad!" But such disgusting rudeness could have left my server devastated.

BlueBelle Mon 16-Jan-17 22:06:58

Definitely double for speech and single for quotes

Mair Mon 16-Jan-17 21:45:10

My pet speech modernism is that the standard response nowadays to the polite enquiry 'How are you?' is not to answer honestly (God forbid), or even to give the one time stock response: 'Fine thanks, how are you?' , instead they smugly reply: "I'm good!" This is not followed by a counter enquiry. Egoism!

Deedaa Thu 12-Jan-17 22:27:43

GS2 who is just 4 either "REALLY LOVES" something or else he "HATES" it, there seems to be no in between. He told me I was nearly dead one day and his brother asked him if he new what dead meant. "Blind?" he said hopefully grin

I know I'm spending too much time with the GSs when my answer to everything is "oh Wow!"

GrandmaMoira Thu 12-Jan-17 16:40:59

Recently I've seen lush used a lot such as lush dinner or lush outfit. This is an entirely new meaning of the word. Also my DGDs (and others I've heard) say that's sick when they mean really good. I do remember being told off at school as we all said fab (or fabulous) and teacher told us we were misusing the word.

mrsmopp Thu 12-Jan-17 15:33:56

When my son was in his teens he described something as 'gross' and I had no idea if he liked it or not. I thought gross meant 144, but what do I know?

Ana Thu 12-Jan-17 12:10:45

I don't think the rule about speech marks applies any more really, Yorkshiregel. Just had a look though the four paperbacks I've got on the go at the moment and they all use single speech marks (or quote marks) for direct speech.

Yorkshiregel Thu 12-Jan-17 12:04:08

So true! Mostly used by the youngsters though. I wonder what the English language will be like when they are adults?