Gransnet forums

AIBU

Use your imagination!

(73 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Mon 23-Jan-17 11:26:10

We are trying to sell our house. It's been a few months and we live in a state of extreme readiness (a bit like def con 1) !!

We have had new photos taken this morning as we have gone multi agency and god forbid we can use the same pictures.

What's driving me bonkers is the level of detail required.

This morning we had to :-

Remove toilet rolls from bathrooms
Remove towels, tea towels and oven gloves from rails.
Clear the entire kitchen work surfaces of everything inc kettle, coffee maker , toast !
Pick up rugs from floor
Remove dog, bowls , basket and cage.
Take everything out of shower incl shampoo, shower gel etc
Remove everything from bedside tables

AIBU to think people should expect to see things like the damn toilet paper in pictures of the bathroom? I get that we need to move Sam and his accessories out, not everyone likes dogs. He is banished to the garage for the time it takes to do viewings.

I'm getting pressure now to box up everything in my craft room and put it into storage for the duration because apparently people might not be able to see it's a bedroom without a bed in it!

Are we so lacking in imagination we can't see a room for the space it is even without a bed in? Would they not recognise a bathroom if it had no bath....isn't it obvious ? Would you need a bed in room to know it's a bedroom ?

Please give me a good slap - the whole thing is getting on my nerves now ! In fact I'm getting on my own nerves smile

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 24-Jan-17 09:40:58

Well we are going through the selling/buying process at the moment and at no time were we ever asked to remove toilet rolls or kettles!! Obviously the house was very tidy with all extraneous clutter removed but everyday stuff? No!

Also - in terms of houses we looked at. There was one we absolutely loved. But when we went back for a second viewing we realised the reason it looked so amazing was because there was literally no stuff. Anywhere. And we realised that if you actually did put stuff in it (I'm talking toiletries, toothbrushes, clothes, books, nothing out of the ordinary) it would look very different and actually there was no room for anything. The house we fell in love with was tidy but very full of everyday stuff.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 24-Jan-17 09:41:48

We did once view a house where the teenage son refused to get out of bed though. That was a tad offputting

rosesarered Tue 24-Jan-17 09:45:04

grin

rosesarered Tue 24-Jan-17 09:50:24

On Escape To The Country all the houses viewed are presented like show homes.
I don't think people now do have much imagination, and expect all to look perfect.
Years ago, when viewing houses, we took no notice of clutter, just looked at room sizes, location, garden etc.
We sold our last house 9 years ago and knocked ourselves out on the presentation of it, and it sold within the month ( in spite of the agent warning us it could take a while)
I urged a friend to do the same when she was selling last year, and it sold in two days!
So, yes, it can make a vast difference.

FarNorth Tue 24-Jan-17 09:56:09

A relative of mine paid a knockdown price for a house that had been left in a horrendous mess.
After a lot of work cleaning then decorating, they had a lovely house.

grin Maybe that teenager was sick of being made to get out of bed and hide somewhere with the dog!

Lillie Tue 24-Jan-17 09:59:10

Bodies in bed, even in armchairs are a no, no! More than one person doing the "showing round" is off-putting, it gets confusing with all the irrelevant comments chipping in.
What do people think about going out and letting the agent do the viewings?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 24-Jan-17 10:09:29

Lillie we did that wherever possible. Were around more for second viewings when people often had questions but only if the agent thought it was a good idea

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 24-Jan-17 10:10:03

FarNorth it was 6pm. I would say reasonable to expect grin

2mason16 Tue 24-Jan-17 10:18:31

Staying with daughter in Australia at moment. Their system is unusual. One appointment of 15 mins for ALL prospective buyers - Agent shows everyone around and house holders must be out!

Angela1961 Tue 24-Jan-17 10:22:48

Personally if I were to view a house online or visiting the only things that would but me off is a house that is damp, smells strongly of cigarette smoke or is extremely dirty and unkempt. Other than that when whoever moves out they take away all the things when they move so you move the exact stuff back in !

FarNorth Tue 24-Jan-17 10:27:02

When I was 7, I was disappointed that the toy double-decker bus I saw when we looked round a house, wasn't there when we moved in.

Rosina Tue 24-Jan-17 10:32:17

What a pain it is when you are trying to sell - I used to fling piles of mags and newspapers, dogs bed and anything that was making the place look (even more) untidy into the car boot while people viewed!
That said, the house we bought was sad, dingy and unloved inside (couple splitting up - the atmosphere was not good either) but we have always seen beyond decor and it was the location, size and price that did it, as I am sure it does for most people. Never been asked to move the loo roll for photos - how bizarre. Don't we all use them?

radicalnan Tue 24-Jan-17 10:32:43

People have to be spoon fed every experience in life now, egged on by blasted TV programmes, that exert mind control over what is after all a purchase of something you will be creating in your own image anyway.

My dad used to take us house viewing as a weekend treat when we were kids, didn't even make appts back then he just turned up and if there was no one home he looked through the letter box (once there was someone looking back as they were hiding behind the door)...all part of the fun back then. I knew what a corner plot' involved before I started school.

I have sold 18 houses and never put a toilet roll away......

Toilet roll is a part of our life style, and the dog (he sits in the car during viewings) and our bins are there for all to see, another part of our lifestyle....what lives are the prospective buyers living ???? No dogs, no toilet rolls, that's not living is it ???

Lona Tue 24-Jan-17 10:39:52

Lillie I went out for viewings, until the third viewing by the eventual purchaser. She said she had fallen in love with it, I gave her a hug and the deal was done!
Phew!

NemosMum Tue 24-Jan-17 11:00:16

Nanny you are paying THEM! You don't have to hide the toilet roll if you don't want to. Apart from a clean and a general de-clutter, I think the biggest factor is getting the price right. Some estate agents like to get the contract by flattering you and suggesting a higher price, knowing you will be forced to lower it. Although they get a percentage, the difference is not that much to them, and it means they get the business, as opposed to the estate agent down the road who gives you a realistic value. Do a bit of research on similar houses nearby and be realistic. It will save you time and, very possibly, money, in the long run.

Mauriherb Tue 24-Jan-17 11:06:11

It all seems a bit extreme. I would definitely make sure that beds were made and floors were cleared of debris , but toilet paper? Sorry but if a house looks too pristine I find myself wondering what they are hiding. ....

CardiffJaguar Tue 24-Jan-17 11:10:12

Now living in our ninth home. Never once have we had to do any of that nonsense. Nexr move we will do as we have always done: show it neat and as tidy as possible. Any agent who disagrees will not be used by us. We will not be selling some vacant luxury but a home to live in,

Lilyflower Tue 24-Jan-17 11:11:41

I agree and rationally speaking you are right. However, watch a TV property programme all the way through. 'Location, Location, Location' is good for this purpose.

However much couples say they want a project or are not bothered about the state of a house they (and the viewer) cannot fail to be affected positively by the sight of a house in a good state of decoration and which looks clean and tidy.

We might have been influenced to see in these terms by TV shows or other cultural pressures but see them we do.

If you want to sell your house I should look at it as if you were a punter viewing a 'Kirsty & Phil' property and declutter.

pollyperkins Tue 24-Jan-17 11:16:55

I think a full toilet foll and folded clean towels morove the sporesrance of a barhroom though probably toothpaste etc sgould be hidden from view. What if they wanted to use the loo? Likewise a cleAn kettle and toaster and folded matching tea towel etc make a kitchen more attractive . You have to imagine using these rooms! Most brochures advertising bathrooms etc have folded towels etc in the Picture! (I know as we have just had our bathroom done)!

pollyperkins Tue 24-Jan-17 11:23:24

Also I'm sure I've read that the smell of coffee brewing or bread in the oven and vases of fresh flowers are supposed to help sell a house? How is that achieved if the kitchen is bare and stark?

marionk Tue 24-Jan-17 11:44:54

Did you have economy packs of toilet rolls lining the walls of your bathroom? If not it seems an odd request. I have seen pictures on the internet when I wonder what people are thinking, clothes airers with drying washing, kitchens with dirty dishes in the sink, kids toys everywhere. These just say I don't care so it makes me wonder what maintenance the property has had and would make me wary.

Elrel Tue 24-Jan-17 12:08:06

Toilet rolls banned! ?

Jaycee5 Tue 24-Jan-17 12:11:34

I used to watch House Doctor when it started and people would walk around and say 'I don't like the pictures'. It seemed to me that it was the buyers that needed taking in hand not the sellers.
I did get put off a house that had gloss red paint on one ceiling because I didn't see how it could be removed without harming the ceiling plaster and it would have been virtually impossible to paint over, but people just seem to totally lack imagination.

Funnygran Tue 24-Jan-17 12:21:30

The constant tidying up is a real pain. The Australian system seemed to be the norm in South Africa when family were selling out there. So much easier to have just one viewing or open house. I've seen that done here but it appears to be for houses that have been on the market for a while. The last house we sold attracted a lot of interest in the first few days and the agent made appointments for six viewings on one day. By the time I'd shown the last lot round I felt I was really repeating myself. As I ushered the couple to the front door they reminded me that I hadn't shown them upstairs yet! And after all that the house didn't sell for months.

Mamie Tue 24-Jan-17 12:22:21

Somebody should tell this to French estate agents. In my experience the pictures are universally dreadful. Unmade or rumpled beds, clothes hanging up all over the place, bicycles in rooms, ironing boards left up, toys and mess everywhere and all too frequently an image of the photographer taking a picture in the mirror.
Always good for a laugh though.
?