Gransnet forums

AIBU

To want to buy a Remoska

(20 Posts)
storynanny Wed 01-Feb-17 19:07:56

When there are just the 2 of us and we have a perfectly good oven? I've always wanted one as friends rave about them but the cost has put me off. I can afford to buy one now but can they really cook anything? Not worried about saving electricity just like the idea of one pot cooks anything.
Hoping to hear the pros and cons from you clever people to help me make my decision.

Grannyknot Wed 01-Feb-17 22:25:20

I didn't know what a Remoska is, so I googled (as you do) - isn't it the same thing as an electric frying pan - they used to be so popular, my mother had one. So I'm not sure what makes the Remoska special - apart from the price tag?!

cornergran Thu 02-Feb-17 00:24:18

Used one for years in our caravan. Have cooked full roasts, potatoes of all kinds, rice, fish, roasted vegetables, heated pastries, pasties and pies. Still use it now, it's cheaper to run than the main oven, cooks a fab jacket potato and it's really difficult to burn anything in it. They are expensive now, ours is ancient, we think it would be worth replacing it. Can I suggest you look at Remoska recipes on line? Will give you a better idea of the range of things you could cook. There was a previous thread about them, a search should find it.

Lisalou Thu 02-Feb-17 05:37:12

I too had to google, just being thick here, maybe; but what does this thing do that you cant do in a slow cooker?

glammanana Thu 02-Feb-17 08:30:15

My neighbour has one and uses it constantly she bought it from Lakeland and when the lid cracked (she dropped it) she had the complete item replaced free of charge under their lifetime gaurentee so if buying one I would go to Lakeland for that peace of mind.

Izabella Thu 02-Feb-17 09:32:46

I too am interested what they do that a slo-cooker cannot.

shysal Thu 02-Feb-17 09:49:21

A slow cooker cooks slowly, but a Remoska takes a similar length of time to a conventional oven! Also I don't often cook dry dishes or cakes in the SC.
I have a Remoska and love it. One drawback is that the temperature cannot be regulated and in recent models you have to lift the lid to see how your food looks. For this reason, and the lower cost, I think I would go for a Halogen oven another time. They are see-through with temperature control and timer, and as far as I can tell do the same job as a Remoska.
I hope you will be pleased with your choice.

Welshwife Thu 02-Feb-17 09:57:17

I don't have a Remoska but I have a halogen oven - if you read all the claims it says you can cook anything in it that you can cook in a normal oven including cakes etc. It could be that I am not doing it quite right but the one attempt I made with a cake to try it out resulted in the top very well cooked while still not thoroughly cooked lower down- my friend found the same. It is great for jacket potatoes and roasts and also casseroles - I use a dish of some sort inside most times to aid cleaning.
As far as I can see these ovens are similar to Remoskas but far cheaper - I got mine on offer for less than £30. I do have a rack on legs as well and a metal ring which allows bigger joints etc. Like a Remoska the heating element is in the lid. You can only time it for up to an hour and then it turns off (or my one does) but I have not found that to be a problem.

shysal Thu 02-Feb-17 10:03:02

www.melandmal.com/Media/PDFs/halogen_oven_cooking_-_the_facts.pdf

Luckygirl Thu 02-Feb-17 10:52:59

Get it! There are only two of us here and that is precisely why it is so good. I do not need to heat up a whole oven for the sake of a tiny meal. I have had a remoska for decades, and recently splashed out on the new one. It is brilliant!

I cook absolutely everything in it. Sometimes a whole meal - e.g. fish, potatoes and veg roasting - all in the same pan together. It is great for heating croissants - they are ready in no time and barely any electricity used.

Go for it - enjoy!

Luckygirl Thu 02-Feb-17 10:59:52

By the way, we have lived in our new home for 7 months and I have yet to switch the oven on!

Luckygirl Thu 02-Feb-17 11:00:45

Another advantage for me (and anyone else for whom bending is a challenge) is that it is on the worktop and I do not have to bend to get anything out of the oven.

Charleygirl Thu 02-Feb-17 13:23:19

I am sure that there was a thread on this subject a couple of months ago. You may get more ideas if you look at it.

shysal Thu 02-Feb-17 13:57:09

If you enter 'Remoska' into 'search forums' above right, you will find several previous discussions.

MiniMouse Thu 02-Feb-17 14:22:37

Yes, this has been on previous threads, so you should be able to weigh up the pros and cons before deciding. I'm a Halogen oven advocate! Used mine every day until we replaced the cooker with one that has a top oven/grill.

The Halogen oven gives you more control over the heat, as it's adjustable, and, being glass, you can see what's going on! There are often good deals to be had, I think I paid about £30 for my last one.

Lisalou Sat 04-Feb-17 15:41:40

Shysal, yes, I can see the advantage of it cooking in the same time as an oven over a slow process like a slow cooker. For me, that is a disadvantage, as I work such long hours, the slow cooker is a godsend as i can cook in advance and it is ready when I come in.
On the other hand, you can do a lot of dry cooking in a slow cooker with very good results, such as making bread, roasting a chicken, doing baked potatoes and many more.
The remoska seems tremendously expensive though.

Annierose Sat 04-Feb-17 15:54:39

Lakeland can supply you with exact details about electricity use, so you can, if you like, do a calculation.
Leaving aside the environmental issues, I remember reckoning that it would take a good few years to recoup the cost. However, I got one when we were in temporary accommodation with no proper cooker,and I too, take it to use in our camper.
I too use my slow cooker for 'dry cooking' - they really are quite different, and I see little cross over.
The main Remoska advantage is the lower electricity use, and in certain circumstances, the space saving. It does a lot of cooking well, and a few things better than conventional ways of cooking - I love a Spanish omelette done in the Remoska.

yogagran Sat 04-Feb-17 16:43:53

I sold my Remoska when we gave up caravanning as we never used it at home. I've bought an Instant Pot (electric, automatic pressure cooker) which is used almost every day. Much prefer it to the Remoska

Araabra Sun 05-Feb-17 00:50:28

I use an instapot. Love. www.amazon.co.uk/Pressure-Electric-High-Street-TV/dp/B01LZKTANJ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1486255642&sr=8-4&keywords=instapot&tag=gransnetforum-21

BlueBelle Sun 05-Feb-17 05:51:28

I too had to Google it Not the same but I bought a 8 in 1 cooker supposed to do everything bar wash up Might have been me but I sent it back couldn't get it to cook anything properly luckily I got my money back I ll stick to my slow cooker