Gransnet forums

AIBU

call if you're not coming !

(12 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Sun 26-Feb-17 09:52:28

Having read the title my mucky mind had a quiet giggle BUT I am so cross and was wondering if its unreasonable to expect that if someone makes an appointment to view your house and then changes their mind that they let you know?

We have had our house on the market for a while and I have noticed a pattern emerging of people arranging to view and then simply not turning up.

Yesterday was a point in fact. We got up , had a good tidy round, then sat down to wait. Half an hour after the due time , we called the estate agent who said she would call them.

Nothing ! Its like they disappeared off the face of the earth ! Are aliens beaming these people up?

These people had already seen our house once and this was a second viewing. They SAID they were interested.

Now, I don't have any problem with them changing their mind...but why not say? What makes them think their time is so much more valuable than ours that they can leave us waiting. If they had cancelled in the morning we would have gone out. Sam the dog would have gotten a walk. Our daughter who called after lunch to say could they pop in would have been able to and we could have seen our eldest 2 grandchildren.

Instead we waited , and waited and eventually gave up - there's a day in our lives we'll never get back !!

Is this the norm?

Would you call or simply disappear?

Lillie Sun 26-Feb-17 10:08:59

So annoying and so rude. Everyone has a mobile phone these days to give a quick call to cancel an appointment.
Can you get back to the agent and express your displeasure?
If it was to be their second viewing they sound interested, but given their attitude I'd be worried they might do the same thing just when contracts are due to be exchanged.

Teetime Sun 26-Feb-17 10:10:51

Its so frustrating. I would get the agent to do it - its what you are paying them for.

J52 Sun 26-Feb-17 10:37:44

Happened to us several times. We complained to the EA, but it even happened to them when they did the viewings.
Unfortunately some prospective purchasers are very rude, they are the sort who go round making unnecessary comments.
We had one couple who were like that,and by chance the next day I was sitting near the woman in a coffe shop. She did have the grace to blush. I enjoyed telling my companions ( not in a hushed voice) about the type of person who had been viewing my house.

sunseeker Sun 26-Feb-17 10:49:48

I will be putting my house on the market some time this year and am really not looking forward to the viewings. We used to buy old properties, renovate and then sell on and I know only too well the type of people who view properties. You get the usual looky loos who have no intention of buying but seem to look on viewing houses on a Saturday afternoon as a bit of a hobby. Then the ones who tell you they have fallen in love with the house and they will definitely be buying - then disappear never to be heard from again. Those who despite having read the description continually tell you why the house doesn't suit their needs (not enough bedrooms, no dining room, sitting room too big/small). The last house we sold some people turned up unannounced, they had heard the house was on the market and could they have a quick look round, I was in the middle of doing the washing, hadn't hoovered and the house had that "lived in" look, they were the ones who bought it!

Charleygirl Sun 26-Feb-17 11:01:13

N&G I would put money on it that it is not our age group who are letting you down and I am surprised that this was supposed to be a second viewing. I suppose better to find out now how unreliable they are than 24 hours before exchange of contracts.

It was such a waste of a day for everybody, especially Sam.

MissAdventure Sun 26-Feb-17 11:04:58

It seems to be just accepted now that arrangements aren't important, and can just be dropped with no apology or explanation.

Eloethan Sun 26-Feb-17 13:13:24

We put our house on the market a few years ago. Most people did turn up - though some quite late. I believe one or two didn't show at all. Most people try to have a bit of tidy up before someone views - and they may well cancel other arrangements - so it's very rude not to tell the agent that you won't be attending.

It was all such a hassle - with people making offers and then trying to beat us down on price before even having a survey, or making silly offers, that we decided not to sell.

NanaandGrampy Sun 26-Feb-17 13:51:23

We have spoken to the estate agents and have decided to get tough.

If there are to be weekend viewings , they must be in the morning. A 2pm viewing wastes a whole day.

If there are to be weekend viewings the estate agent needs to do them . We will go out. I'm fed up hearing how the agent has a full diary so would we mind showing them round ! Well now, for the thousands of pounds we will have to pay you - get unbusy will be my response.

We have bent over backwards to accommodate people who want to view at all hours of the day and night because we want to sell, but quite frankly it's getting us no where so time for agents to do a bit more work I feel!

We don't have to move, we want to . But not at all costs .

Charleygirl Sun 26-Feb-17 15:33:39

2-3 years ago neighbours of mine put their house on the market with a brand new estate agent and the couple never once showed anybody round their house. As You said, the estate agent is well paid to do so. Also if the estate agent is let down, he/she may do something about it. I think that they have an easy life.

rosesarered Sun 26-Feb-17 17:31:46

We have bought and sold lots of houses and have never shown anybody around.
We get the house ready for viewings and then go out,The agent has a key.An agent knows all the right things to say, and the viewers can't ask you any awkward questions or put you on the spot!You are paying a lot of money, so sit back and let them earn it.

Ana Sun 26-Feb-17 17:35:21

Same here roses - I'd hate to have to show people round!

Agents will soon wise up to viewers who don't turn up, but at least you won't have been sitting there twiddling your thumbs.