Gransnet forums

AIBU

Philip green

(50 Posts)
Morgana Tue 28-Feb-17 22:55:41

am I being unreasonable to object to the way that the BBC reported the news that this despicable man has magnanimously agreed to give some if his vast 'looted' wealth to give his former workers pensions?

Jaycee5 Sat 04-Mar-17 11:40:36

Joanne I agree about watching several news sites. It is important to remember what their particular bias is and you then get a better view of what is going on.
Al Jazeera is Qatari and Qatar is fighting alongside the Saudis in Syria and their Syrian reporting is very one sided. They are still trying to push the White Helmets as heroes. They have some very good and interesting reports on Africa, South America and the UK.
RT is good on the UK and US but I would not trust it on Ukraine or Syria. It is pro Trump but it is interesting on the propaganda against Russia in the US.
The BBC is occasionally ok but not on UK politics.
Sky occasionally does surprisingly good reports on things like the bedroom tax but is generally a milder version of Sky News.
ITV News seems to be the most balanced and will report protests that the BBC ignores.
There are some good online sites like Off-Guardian but they do go for conspiracy theories a bit.

Jalima Sat 04-Mar-17 10:31:16

And he shouts at traffic lights (only red ones)

sunseeker Sat 04-Mar-17 10:08:39

Jalima I find the same thing with local BBC news. I find they will now spend 15/20 mins on a "puff" piece and then rush through two or three news items.

NfkDumpling Sat 04-Mar-17 06:56:48

Does your DH swear at talk to the TV too Jalima?

Jalima Fri 03-Mar-17 10:24:13

It is not so long ago that DH was getting annoyed at BBC News at Ten and saying 'it's on for half an hour and we've had 20 minutes of bloody Trump. Is there nothing else going on in the world'? They do seem to concentrate on one thing and rush through a few other items at speed.
I think he watches Al Jazeera now.

Rigby46 Fri 03-Mar-17 10:15:02

Kylie Morris' US coverage is second to none

Rigby46 Fri 03-Mar-17 10:14:07

I can't believe people watch BBC/ITV news. Only C4 news is worth my valuable time.

Rigby46 Fri 03-Mar-17 10:12:46

LK left wing? <faints>

Marieeliz Fri 03-Mar-17 09:19:59

My friend and I think Laura Keunssberg is very left wing. So there you go!!!

NfkDumpling Fri 03-Mar-17 07:11:44

Al Jazeera. I read it on line as it has a far better world coverage and it's nice to see how the rest of the world sees Britain. (In a much better light than we see ourselves!) The BBC and ITV seem to just concentrate on one or two main items and, although the straight reporting is factual, the reporters who are invited to give opinions - Mr Preston and his ilk - seem just a bit left wing. All interviews seem determined bent on destruction, nothing positive or up-beat, only criticism and sourness. No wonder the country is so divided and entrenched we're encouraged to be that way.

joannewton46 Fri 03-Mar-17 04:47:16

PS I read Kate Adie's autobiography (The Kindness of Strangers - I recommend it as a really interesting read!). In it she says she left news broadcasting after having a factual report rejected because it did not present the desired view of the situation. Censorship is alive and well and living in the UK.

joannewton46 Fri 03-Mar-17 04:43:32

We still watch the BBC news but also ITV, Sky, Russia Today and Algecisaz (?spelling)- at least that way we might get a more balanced view. We regularly see what we think are important items for the UK on RT that don't get a mention on BBC.
It would be nice if even one paper or news programme said something positive about Corbyn. He was out campaigning every day before the Brexit vote but did that get a mention - not a dickybird. Anyone would think he was a terrorist - although to this Tory government, he probably is.

Birene Thu 02-Mar-17 23:37:53

I find that BBC news has a very left wing bias- particularly their online daily news app.

CardiffJaguar Thu 02-Mar-17 22:03:51

This is standard nowadays for the BBC. Biased and not reporting news that they do not want to. The same news from early morning right into News at 10. And what was to be 24/7 news has been replaced with other programmes in between the headlines and weather.

If you want news today it is better to use other channels even RT and Sky much as I do not wish to. Such a sad state of affairs when we cannot trust the BBC to give us all the essential news. And that is after they have stressed they have reporters around the globe to ensure they get all the news as it happens!

There have been many changes at the BBC and it seems none of them have been good. It needs a clearout and new management.

Jalima Thu 02-Mar-17 21:18:59

I don't think the newsreaders are bimbos.

Don't think Huw Edwards, Fiona Bruce, George Alagiah, Mishal Hussein et al would be happy to hear that shock

Peaseblossom Thu 02-Mar-17 21:10:49

Jaycee5 My daughter is a journalist for the BBC and does her own research, interviewing, filming, editing. She has a degree, BA Hons. and is not a bimbo reading an autocue! She has been on TV many times for local news programmes. She has worked for Sky News, several radio stations and she also worked in Moscow for 2 years for RT. All main news programmes are very left wing and you need to look on the internet to see what is REALLY happening regarding the millions of immigrants threatening our way of life (tut tut am I allowed to say that without getting my head blown off?!) and other worrying news. Everyone seems to be blinkered or totally loony leftie PC.

Jalima Thu 02-Mar-17 20:26:42

my heart sinks (well, my finger goes to the 'off' button) when I see Tasmin Ahmed-Sheikh

I just looked at some photos of her online and she looks quite lovely - so what on earth has she done to herself lately?

varian Thu 02-Mar-17 20:09:09

In spite of the fact that most BBC political journalists (Andrew Neil, Laura Kuenssberg, Nick Robinson etc are Tories, I think the bias is towards maverick individuals who they think can liven up the political scene.

Number one without any doubt, the BBC's favourite politician - Nigel Farage.

Number two - and still good value - Nicola Sturgeon.

Jalima Thu 02-Mar-17 19:28:44

I agree with pollyperkins

They must be getting the balance right as both leftwingers and rightwingers moan about their bias!

Dimbleby is most definitely left wing! He always interrupts the more rightwing panellists but lets the leftwingers go on in full flow.

biasedbbc.org/quotes-of-shame/

Jaycee5 Thu 02-Mar-17 15:46:59

pollyperkins Look at the background of those on their political team. Keunssberg applied for a job as Cameron's press secretary. Neil and most of those on the Daily Politics and Newsnight have been members of the Conservative party.
The right wing accuses them of bias so that they don't dare criticise the government. They were forced to call cuts 'reforms'.
They support the government of the day but they get far less interference during Labour governments.

Grampie Thu 02-Mar-17 15:35:51

Our esteemed journalists should at least determine if Sir Philip intends that take back any part of the £363 million as a tax deduction.

Yorkshiregel Thu 02-Mar-17 15:16:36

I wholeheartedly agree. Giving a hairdresser an honour as Cameron did just makes a mockery of them all.

These politicians fill the Lords with their cronies so they can get bills passed later on. We are seeing an example of that right now with BREXIT and the HofL.

pollyperkins Thu 02-Mar-17 13:29:39

Well I see it, some say the BBC is supporting the (right wing) government and others think there is a left wing bias. Which suggests to me that they are trying to be balanced. I have no complaints. Others are worse.

GranJan60 Thu 02-Mar-17 13:04:02

I am convinced the BBC is biased. There has been no coverage whatsoever about the 1950s women's pension age increases or the demonstrations against them. On Question Time they have UKIP nearly every time and Laura K is definitely a Brexit supporter. Really fed up with them now - we pay for licences and deserve better.

Jaycee5 Thu 02-Mar-17 12:51:56

Yorkshiregel. I totally agree.
Laura Keunssberg seems to be close friends with Katherine Vine, current editor of the Guardian. In the week before and days immediately after the bye elections that paper had over 20 anti-Corbyn articles. They only had 3 or 4 critical of UKIP and they even have one today which is favourable to them. They would seriously have preferred UKIP to win Stoke than Labour under Corbyn. So many people take it all at face value.