Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dinner dance

(14 Posts)
ninathenana Mon 03-Apr-17 17:32:22

A local hotel is putting on what is advertised as a Dinner Dance. They will have a live Sinatra tribute act playing.
Their organisation for this event has been pretty poor. I have had visions of turning up to find only a handful of tables occupied. Promosed e-mails with pre order menu choices very slow in coming etc.
The menu is beef casserole or salmon fish cake plus veggie option. Fruit salad and cream or cheese cake
AIBU to expect something better/more interesting ?
H and I have decided to cancel, presumably at the cost of our deposit.

tanith Mon 03-Apr-17 17:39:40

Does sound rather lacking in organisation and the menu is hardly inspiring is it? I think I'd give it a miss too.

petra Mon 03-Apr-17 18:21:19

You might loose your deposit but look at it as saving money. If you had gone you would have been buying drinks?

Cherrytree59 Mon 03-Apr-17 18:26:08

I would also cancel Nina
Part of the going out experience is looking forward to the event not worrying about what its going to be like
Agree menu doesn't live up to Dinner Dance expectations hmm

sue1169 Mon 03-Apr-17 21:35:16

Weary sounding menu...would cancel for sure and just go out for a 'good' meal ?

hildajenniJ Mon 03-Apr-17 22:18:25

In this day and age, I think everyone would expect a better meal choice than casserole or fish cakes! It isn't very inspiring. That is the sort of everyday fare that a mediocre cook could make.
You did the right thing in cancelling, I would too.

Welshwife Tue 04-Apr-17 07:52:19

I would cancel but tell them exactly why!

sunseeker Tue 04-Apr-17 08:31:10

I used to organise charity events, including dinner dance functions, I would never have come up with this menu - totally uninspiring. Cancel and go to a good restaurant instead.

TriciaF Tue 04-Apr-17 20:33:48

I don't know how anyone can dance after eating a big dinner. It's either eating or dancing.
I'm always surprised how much the rural french like dancing. About 9pm they have something to eat, usually just a buffet and plenty of wine. Then a small band arrives and they start dancing for hours, until the small hours of the morning. There's always a big turnout, but far too late for me. Husband won't dance anyway. I hear about it from my friend who lives over the road from the hall.

ninathenana Wed 05-Apr-17 06:58:23

Welshwife I did tell them the reason.
I had a phone call yesterday, the guy who called said he agreed with me !
I'm pleased to say we have been offered a full refund of our deposit, without even asking. So they have redeemed themselves slightly.

ninathenana Wed 05-Apr-17 07:00:44

Tricia we wouldn't have been dancing either. It was the tribute act that attracted us.

cornergran Wed 05-Apr-17 07:24:12

Good outcome, nina, what will you do instead?

Teetime Wed 05-Apr-17 09:27:01

I thought (hoped) that the formal Dinner Dance had died out. I think I'd be more inclined to go to something like a Barn Dance or a Ceilidh- much more fun and less stuffy.

TriciaF Wed 05-Apr-17 14:18:31

Yes, I think the dances they have here are more like barn dances. I remember going to those in my youth!