Gransnet forums

AIBU

To not like nail polish on little girls?

(99 Posts)
Hopehope Tue 11-Apr-17 00:04:28

My DGD who is three and a half always seems to have nail polish on. I don't say anything, but I think it is a terrible idea. I once just said " Oh nail polish!", DIL said that is it special stuff for kiddies from Boots, not harmful to the nails.

As I said I didn't comment, life is too short, but I think little girls should be little girls, plenty of time for all that later.

what does anyone else think>?

Bluegal Mon 23-Apr-18 18:39:05

The nail varnish is not an issue to me either! Both my GD’s and GS’s have proudly displayed their nails to me. I just say nice nails haha. Also - can’t remember who said it but I already had two step sons when I had my first daughter so the house was full of cars, trains etc. After daughter arrived she would play with the cars and garages for ages and the boys took the dollies for a walk in the pram. When I got grandchildren of both sexes I let them choose whatever they wanted to play with. Seems the best way to me. But then I grew up with a similar age brother so we ALWAYS had the best of both worlds. I adored the scalectrix. Maybe a separate thread needed re stereotyping of sexes?

Situpstraight Sat 21-Apr-18 09:11:02

My GS used to wear blue nail varnish when his sister had her pink nails, they were 4 and 2, GD is nearly 14 now and never wears it, neither does the GS!
It’s just play dress up, I wouldnt worry about it, I used to wear it over 60 years ago too.

LynneB59 Sat 21-Apr-18 09:05:30

My granddaughters are 6 1/2 and 3 1/2, and they often have nail varnish on. (the eldest only wears it at weekends or school holidays). Like most little girls, they like to dress up and look pretty. They always ask for my lipsticks, but I bought them some lip salves, and they're happy with that. I don't see anything wrong with it.

NanTheWiser Fri 20-Apr-18 17:04:06

Reported

zoeycarter Fri 20-Apr-18 14:14:46

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Nelliemoser Wed 14-Jun-17 23:40:52

Blue Belle grin

I don't like the idea but I don't really have any good reason not to.
Perhaps it's something to do with trying not make our children grow up too early or be trying to fit into a sterotype of any particular gender identity.

I had a neighbour similar age as me who was determined not to let her daughter have a train set. (as it was a boys toy.)
My father bought one for my sister way back in the 1950s as well as a BAKO set and I had a chemistry set for a birthday. (He was a secondary tech school teacher.) In those days that was quite a bold thing to do.
Blue Belle grin

stillaliveandkicking Wed 14-Jun-17 19:03:33

I used to love dressing up in my mums shoes and jewels too but I also like to climb trees and my favourite thing was to dig up worms and play "families" with them.

My son had dolls etc.

Does it matter? Some girls are girly girls some not. Some boys are rufty tufty some not.

Little girls wearing nail varnish doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Elegran Wed 14-Jun-17 14:28:39

There's nothing new under the sun, grannysue. I am sure Juliet's granny said the same ("She is just 14! That Romeo is taking advantage of her because she looks older! Her mother should forbid it! Kids these days!")

grannysue05 Wed 14-Jun-17 14:03:32

I know that we are discussing little girls nails but can I mention older girls nails....my GD aged 12 yrs. In school uniform - blazer, knee high socks, tie and flat pumps with long hair tied up in a pony tail, she looks...well...twelve. At weekend, she dons sports gear (tight), lets down her long hair to cascade down her back, paints her nails pink and ....well......she looks sixteen. Gives the wrong impression to those who would not have her best interests at heart. What do others think?

Elegran Wed 14-Jun-17 09:42:02

I didn't read anyone encouraging gender stereotyping, mimiro, more the opposite. The thread started and mostly continued as a plea to let small children stay as small children without being primped and decorated like adult women. Time enough for that later.

And children's nails are beautiful unadorned, without nail varnish.

MawBroon Wed 14-Jun-17 09:25:51

confused

mimiro Wed 14-Jun-17 01:04:33

feel like i just stepped into a timewarp
ummm in 1972 my penpal from cornwall came to visit
she brought her triumph motorcycle with her so we could ride from florida to california together.

Boomboom Thu 20-Apr-17 15:29:39

Good job you're here then Maw wink

MawBroon Thu 20-Apr-17 15:05:13

Keep your mouth buttoned tight if you really don't want to say anything

Empty room.....argument....hmm

Luckygirl Thu 20-Apr-17 14:57:37

It's just a bit of fun. My DGS (nearly 2) was here yesterday with green nails! - he though they were great!

They have nail polish that does not give off fumes.

Boomboom Thu 20-Apr-17 14:52:34

"Passive aggressive"???
Somebody is overthinking something hmm

Comment or don't comment but commenting and then claiming 'I didn't say anything...just/but...' is passive aggressive.
Keep your mouth buttoned tight if you really don't want to say anything...

PRINTMISS Thu 20-Apr-17 11:34:38

OH! Maw thanks for the sympathy, perhaps I am not used to it?'A little kindness goes a long way' I have a little plaque that says that, maybe I should remember it? For some reason I have become 'angry' recently, no idea why, perhaps that came over in my last post although I was not angry - oh I do so hope I am not becoming one of those horrible old women who complain about everything! Oh! Woe is me. grin

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Apr-17 09:40:31

We may not encourage boys to push dolls' prams but, if one is available, many little boys will do just that, pushing not dolls dressed in frills in the pram but their action figures and perhaps the family cat if it will stay in the pram! Small prams are good for tinies learning to walk too, they can act as 'walkers'.

But put a selection of toys in front of little boys and little girls and it is interesting to see who gravitates towards which type of toy.

MawBroon Thu 20-Apr-17 09:30:50

Apologies if I offended PRINTMISS. <keep my sympathy to myself in future> smile

MawBroon Thu 20-Apr-17 08:55:25

"Passive aggressive"???
Somebody is overthinking something hmm

PRINTMISS Thu 20-Apr-17 08:49:51

Poor PRINTMISS never! I would never mind what people think of my views, they can express theirs and I can express mine; I have had to learn to do that on many occasions; thank goodness we are all different and we live in a society where it is possible to do that.

Boomboom Thu 20-Apr-17 07:36:02

Hopehope
" Oh nail polish!"
But you did comment. This is just the passive aggressive 'non comment' my mother would make.

trisher Fri 14-Apr-17 16:25:31

Saggi my GS loves pushing a toy buggy. It does tend to be at high speed from one end of the yard to the other and sometimes results in the 'baby' being catapulted out, which is a good excuse for sending for the ambulance and getting out the doctors kit. Anything can be fun to play with. (his sister usually nabs the role of doctor)

Ilovecheese Fri 14-Apr-17 16:15:10

Yes, how true about judging people. I walked to a bus stop once, where there were a group of rather rough looking young lads, they were effing and jeffing and I was busy judging. Then the bus came, the lads all stood back and one of them said "yes, let this lady get on first" I felt ashamed of myself.

petra Fri 14-Apr-17 16:01:39

MawBroon Oh how true Re judging people. My step daughter is working with Sadiq Khan for the next couple of weeks on a new app he wants to develope.
She has a leg and arm sleeve ( tattoos) Then there's something printed from her ear to her neck. But she's brilliant at her job, dressmaking and making quirky cakes.