Gransnet forums

AIBU

Shopping trolleys

(50 Posts)
GrannyMac1945 Thu 20-Apr-17 17:03:24

AIBU in objecting to children, sometimes quite big ones, sitting/standing in trolleys . Not talking about the child seat, the grocery area. They have outdoor shoes on and I dread to think of what is deposited on the wire. I can't understand why supermarkets allow it.

narrowboatnan Wed 26-Apr-17 18:42:42

There are more germs on your hands than on your shoes and the skin on your hands will deal with most of it. Pheonix is quite right about the germs that we can pick up from trolley handles and the stuff on the shelves that gets picked up and put back down again by hundreds of people with germs on their hands. We are all guilty of doing it. Coughs and colds get spread this way

Margs Mon 24-Apr-17 14:17:58

Is it any wonder that kiddies are the size of weather balloons when they are ferried everywhere by car by parents and don't even manage to walk/waddle around a supermarket but are "trollied" around by mum!

annodomini Sun 23-Apr-17 19:41:58

A local train I was on the other day had signs saying:"Bums on seats; feet on the floor". I don't know if this instruction was observed, but at least it was there! I am sure that supermarkets have - or used to have - signs saying that children are not allowed to sit or stand in trolleys, apart from the baby/toddler seats in the big trolleys. These signs would mean that if a child fell out of the trolley, the company could not be sued for having unsafe equipment.

Morgana Sun 23-Apr-17 18:24:41

Well done to those who spoke out! I find it quite worrying how many parents get so abusive when anything is said, even if it is for the child's safety. My son was a horror in supermarkets and had to be bribed with food! In Marks and Spencer he was truly horrendous and even now will not shop there! So I know how hard shopping with kids can be.

jenpax Sun 23-Apr-17 14:06:37

Don't forget it's not always parents taking children around the supermarket sometimes it's exhausted grandparents?I have to confess to having allowed my grandson to sit in the main part of the trolley on a couple of occasions when I have been in charge of him and he was too tired to walk I try not to take him shopping at all and usually if he does go with me he walks round but occasionally I have had to take him I try to ensure that he places his feet on my coat which I will wash! Rather than the bottom of the trolley And he definitely does not stand up I have also wiped the trolley down with anti vac after so hopefully minimal germs

Barmyoldbat Sun 23-Apr-17 08:47:03

I was waiting at the checkout with a mother with 3 school age children in front. The children were giving her hell and being a real nuisances pushing and shoving each other. She did try I give her that. I had had enough, so I said to her "would you like me to do my granny bit and get them to calm down? Yes she would. So I simply said in a very hard almost loud voice "stop this now and do as your mother said. Go and sit on that bench and don't move or make a noise until your mother is ready. Their mouths dropped open but they did. I got a thank you. Not bothered about kids in trolleys as long as they are behaving

1974cookie Sat 22-Apr-17 22:19:52

My pet hate in Supermarkets is children positively whizzing around the aisles in 'Heelys', which are those skating shoes. They do not see the danger that they can cause, and neither can the parents/carers judging by the fact that they take no notice. I have seen several near misses involving these kids on wheels and other shoppers. What will it take before they are banned from being used in shops ?
Probably a hefty lawsuit !

Luckylegs9 Sat 22-Apr-17 21:26:37

No one gets home and washes all their packages down. Why can't children be controlled whilst shopping? Parents are so busy on their mobile phones all the times I wonder how they get the time to shop. A meal out this lunchtime was ruined by two children running around the pub, whilst both parents were realy busy on their phones.

Boolya Sat 22-Apr-17 20:07:21

What really bugs me is how filthy the handles of trolleys can be. I gave given feedback on this to our local Co-op and was told that a firm comes in to clean them periodically. I fear they do nit do a good job.

Jinty64 Sat 22-Apr-17 19:04:48

My eldest has ADHD and my ds2 has ASD. Believe me when I say shopping will have been much more pleasurable for other customers by my sitting one of them in the seat and one in the trolley. Besides the trolleys are generally kept outside the store in full view of the seagull shit anyway.

Caretaker Sat 22-Apr-17 18:43:41

I went to a Tesco extra store early one morning and notice a car park man cleaning the car park and using one of the stores shoppers trolleys to tip all the rubbish in. I would have thought that Tesco could afford a proper road sweeper barrow.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 22-Apr-17 18:42:16

Respect, mcem!!

rosesarered Sat 22-Apr-17 18:39:48

Good for you mcem the Father should have said while still at home...no rollerboots!
I am not too fussed about children in trolleys, but last week was a bit worried by a boy about ten ( he may have had problems) but kept seeing him left on his own while the Father was engrossed in shopping and he looked set to overturn the trolley.

mcem Sat 22-Apr-17 18:01:34

harrysgran 's post interested me. On Thursday I encountered 2 boys (8 and 10 ish) racing around the freezers. Both wore rollerboots and I pointed out that this could be very dangerous. Dad piped up 'See told you to stop! They ignored him and raced away.
2 minutes later - another near miss so I asked dad if he planned to stop them.
Shrugged his shoulders and replied 'You see the problem is that I chase after them to stop them but they're too quick for me!'
I told him straight out that it wasn't a question of chasing after them but of being a responsible parent and exerting control!! Shamefaced, he ushered them out.
No regrets!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 22-Apr-17 17:59:37

I can't say that children in shopping trolleys worries me as long as the children are safe. As for kitchen hygiene I usually put the goods on the worktop but only prepare food on a chopping board which is sterilised with boiling water each time. Thus far I don't believe that I've poisoned anyone.

minxie Sat 22-Apr-17 17:36:38

If sainbury sees a child sat in a trolley and not the seat provided, they put out a tannoy asking you to use the seat provided as a general message

Peaseblossom Sat 22-Apr-17 15:10:35

GrannyMac1945 I'm in complete agreement with you as I have always thought the same. I think the parents are ignorant allowing it. (Yes I also detest seeing people put their feet on train seats! Bad manners and I think it's bad manners allowing children to stand in a trolley with shoes on). It worries me when I see babies in the trolley seat with no reins on. I always clipped my children's reins onto the bars of the trolley to make sure they were safe.

meandashy Sat 22-Apr-17 14:15:38

I am in the 'that's disgusting and unnecessary ' camp! There are enough trollies with seats, no need for kids to be standing or sitting in the trolley itself. It is dangerous too.
Swanny my local tesco has an autism friendly hour in the morning mon-Fri 9-10 where they don't play music etc and it's normally quieter. I think all supermarkets should adopt this for families who would otherwise struggle! But maybe vary the timings ??

inishowen Sat 22-Apr-17 11:18:16

My son in law puts their five year old in the trolley. She runs around otherwise and he does it for an easy life. It doesn't bother me. Food is wrapped, and if I'm buying a lettuce or veg I'm going to be washing it anyway.

Elegran Sat 22-Apr-17 11:08:02

I remember long ago a spoof notice that read "Parents are requested not to allow their children to sit on the bacon-slicing machine, as we are getting a little behind with our orders"
Would parents be deterred by one asking them not to allow children to ride on the conveyer "as they could catch n their clothes in the mechanism and be pulled in, causing serious injuries" ? Or would there then be an outcry about 'elf and safety while the supermarket is pilloried for using unsafe equipment?

bikergran Sat 22-Apr-17 10:51:14

also! I will mention that some people have a three course meal on the way round children and adults....! most if they have given a biscuit or chocky bar to a child or opened punnet of grapes etc will pass you the empty packet/bottle etc to be charged, some! dont...some will eat, munch, drink to their hearts content and leave the packages about the store..security try to keep eye on things but trying to keep an eye on 100s of people children is a task on its own.

I had a person through about 2 weeks ago, the little lad aged around 5 took an item off the stand near the checkout and ate it whilst I was scanning the rest of the shopping, the person made no attempt to give me the wrapper!! until I asked! the little lad then glared at me whilst he deliberately took another item and looked at me all the way through the checkout and proceeded to munch his way through that one as well..! I gave the person a chance to say "oh hes got another one"! but she didnt so I then had to confront her that the little lad had taken another...she knew full well what eh had done and said nothing! it may as well have a HELP YOURSELF notice on.

quizqueen Sat 22-Apr-17 10:48:48

Poor discipline is on the increase because people seem to think they have a right to do anything and this has been encouraged by the compensation culture. I'm not that bothered about germs from shoes because I put my shopping bags in the trolley and they have also been on the ground but I complained once about a naked child of about 4 being pushed round in the trolley! I'm not that bothered if the child falls out of the trolley while messing about as long as they don't injure an innocent bystander; it might make then not do it again.

TerriBull Sat 22-Apr-17 10:18:48

I'm amazed anyone would place their toddler on the belt at checkout and even more amazed that they would give the cashier a mouthful when he/she pointed out it wasn't a safe place. What's wrong with some people confused

harrysgran Sat 22-Apr-17 10:16:47

If it stops them running about bumping into people I'm all for it however it looks ridiculous when you see them they look like overgrown babies my biggest gripe are the children wearing trainer shoes with wheels attached or even worse scooters why supermarkets allow it is beyond me

Tessa101 Sat 22-Apr-17 09:51:05

I work in a supermarket and if there is security guards in there they are supposed to stop it from happening, but in my experience they never bother. I always go and let security know if I see it happening but some just don't even bother approaching the parents. I'm with you I think it's wrong and parents should not even consider it. But I have noticed with years of watching it happen it is the parents who cannot control they children whilst walking around a store shopping that do it for an easy life.