Gransnet forums

AIBU

To hope that Prince Philip now lives for ever?

(11 Posts)
grumppa Sun 07-May-17 08:38:55

.... Or at least until after I've handed in my dinner pail, because I can't stand the prospect of all this stuff being regurgitated in the press and on TV. Obituaries should be kept for when someone dies.

By the same token, Your Majesty, DO NOT ABDICATE!

Christinefrance Sun 07-May-17 08:52:09

Just expressing a view Grumppa as of course are you. Sometimes it's good to say things whilst the person is still living rather than waiting until after their death.
Whilst not wanting HM to abdicate I think she should let her family take on much more responsibility, hopefully this will happen now.

ginny Sun 07-May-17 08:54:29

No , you ANBU .

Anniebach Sun 07-May-17 08:59:18

So agree grumppa,

Nannarose Sun 07-May-17 14:09:19

Anyone else remember when Leonard Bernstein retired? All the 'reviews of wonderful career'. He died the next day, cue repeat!

Leonora47 Sun 07-May-17 14:29:47

Why was an announcement necessary at all? If he gradually attended fewer and fewer public engagements, it would surprise no-one. Even with the finest medical care available, he must, at 96, be unable to keep late hours, and eat highly un-digestible public banquets and lunches.
Let's give the old guy a break

M0nica Sun 07-May-17 20:21:30

A journalist did tell Prince Philip he wanted him to live a very longtime and when the Prince asked why, he told him that he had been commissioned to write several newspaper obituaries for him and every five years or so the newspapers pay him to rewrite and revise them

Eloethan Sun 07-May-17 23:30:29

I'm fed up with it too. There is nothing that interests me less than the royal family.

Alima Mon 08-May-17 06:22:56

It isn't just HRH though is it? I suppose with him it is rather different, all the news was about his "retirement" thankfully, and not his death. I remember when Elvis Presley died, apart from the over-playing of his stuff on the radio, and I am not a fan, the rest of the offerings were very funereal. The same with Frank Sinatra. At least Prince Philip did not record any songs. What I am trying to say is that there will always be news that does not interest everybody, just get over it.

Anya Mon 08-May-17 07:10:24

At least Prince Philip did not record any songs grin

Auntieflo Mon 08-May-17 08:14:34

Anya, you never know grin