Gransnet forums

AIBU

Junk emails

(19 Posts)
norose4 Sun 04-Jun-17 14:51:33

No matter what I have tried I can't block a substantial amount of junk & often sexually offensive emails. Does anyone else agree we should have a little red reply button on our computers to push ,saying F--- O-- & I don't usually use those words!?

Ana Sun 04-Jun-17 15:52:30

My Outlook Live hotmail account automatically shunts junk mail into the appropriate folder, which is emptied regularly.

I never get any in my Inbox.

norose4 Sun 04-Jun-17 16:02:49

Thanks Anna I will try that, I have tried various ways but no joy so far, some of the ones that get through are very offensive just in their title within even opening them .

Nonnie Sun 04-Jun-17 16:09:51

Whatever you do don't 'unsubscribe' or 'block' such emails as apparently it just lets them know they have got through to a real person and then you get added to a list and gets loads more.

norose4 Sun 04-Jun-17 16:11:26

Ahh that's interesting Nonnie, thank you, what crafty little devils they are!!

Elegran Sun 04-Jun-17 16:22:04

Have you cleared out the internet cache on your browser lately, or the temporary internet files or the cookies? They can contain a reminder to these sites to send you emails. Getting rid of the dross could stop them.

Elegran Sun 04-Jun-17 16:24:39

I use Ccleaner (apparently that is short for Crapcleaner) every week or so. It is amazing how much rubbish it finds and deletes. You can set your browser connection to delete stuff when you close it down, too.

Elegran Sun 04-Jun-17 16:25:48

but get the free version, not the upgrade to the paid one.

norose4 Sun 04-Jun-17 16:31:26

Thanks Elegran. I didn't realise there are quite a few options, I will give them a go

grannylyn65 Sun 04-Jun-17 16:43:20

Have Thunderbird, don't get any, all go into spam folder.

norose4 Sun 04-Jun-17 16:47:18

Thanks Grannylyn

varian Sun 04-Jun-17 16:53:07

I have had an increasing amount of spam, all originating in the US, in the last few months. Unfortunately because I run a professional practice, my email address is in the public domain.

It all seems to come from the USA. About half of this rubbish is financial, or things to do with electricity, camera gadgets, free movies, insurance, etc and the other half is pseudo medical.

You would not believe the number of Americans who are worried about my baldness, weight gain, fungal toenails, likelihood of having a heart attack and most especially, erectile disfunction. They all offer miracle cures.

The odd thing is that they tend to come in pairs, ostensibly from different sources. Obviously I never click on anything, I direct them all to my infected messages folder, and this seems to filter out a few of the subsequent ones, but not all.

The other day I reported this to Plusnet and was told that they would activate a firewall but I am still getting them. Any suggestions?

norose4 Sun 04-Jun-17 17:02:25

You have made me laugh Varian, it is very scary when you realise how many people , companies etc have access to our email address, do you think our details are sold?

varian Sun 04-Jun-17 17:50:58

I think it is quite possible that email addresses are sold but if you are running a business or have a website, anyone in the world can get your email address for free.

Since setting up my practice many years ago, I have never had to advertise as I have always had as much work as I want through recommendations, etc, and so I have never needed a website, but nevertheless I appear on many professional directories so if you google "service in location" my name, email address, home address and phone number etc will pop up.

Hence the spam.

M0nica Sun 04-Jun-17 19:28:20

I find that my Windows email software is not very efficient and I regularly have to redirect files that end up in my junk box back into the main system. This includes emails from addresses in my contacts file.

However, most of the junk is from shopping sites I have used or those ones, purportedly from people I know, with just a link address in them which I just delete unread.

mimiro Sun 04-Jun-17 19:33:05

use your crapcleaner everytime to log off
if it sits in your harddrive it is just as potentially dangerous as if you opened it
wont get into the tech part .but using bleachbit or crap cleaner is a must and your pc will thank you and run faster too

mimiro Sun 04-Jun-17 19:39:59

yes every retail site or brick and morter store you give your email to sells it to aggregators who love to spam you.those little savings cards you swipe too,
some email accounts will make an item moved from inbox to spam automatically non grata
do not open email just click the box for that email
than there should be a menu close by with the option to move the designated email to various places
move to spam than delete.
also if you are unsure of email
hover over subject line
you can read first 100 or so characters of email
also...hover over email address it should tell you who is actually sending
if nothing shows its probably BAD

simple things can make your life and computer use easier.

mimiro Sun 04-Jun-17 19:51:06

ps;bleachbit is the one hilary used that got everyone so bent out of shape....

norose4 Sun 04-Jun-17 19:51:45

Thanks everyone I shall endeavour to be a bit more junk savvy?