Gransnet forums

AIBU

Words of songs

(31 Posts)
Hildagard Tue 20-Jun-17 10:15:30

We were lucky enough to go and see The Manfreds recently, I have always loved Paul Jones voice. I now can't get certain songs out of my head very frustrating. I daren't sing out loud I may cause accidents my voice is not good. Anyone else have this?

kittylester Fri 30-Jun-17 06:38:53

It was one of the worst days of my young life when Paul Jones was replaced by Mike D'Abo!

rosesarered Thu 29-Jun-17 22:17:02

I liked Mike D'Abo better than Paul Jones ( starts a riot.....dons tin hat) grin

merlotgran Thu 29-Jun-17 22:14:46

Manfred Mann's 'Down The Road Apiece' was the first LP I bought. It's very bluesy and totally unlike their later stuff.

My friends were all buying Gerry and the Pacemakers and Freddy and the Dreamers so I reckoned I was dead cool. grin

Nandalot Thu 29-Jun-17 21:33:43

Paul was replaced by Mike D'Abo. Paul and Mike both sang at the recent concert I went to. As well as being impressed by Paul standing on one leg, I was impressed by Mike's ability to get up from his knees in one go during one song. I think it was Ha Ha said the clown.

Ana Thu 29-Jun-17 21:27:01

Not one of their best, to my mind roses.

I do like Pretty Flamingo and some others though.

Didn't Paul leave and was replaced by Mike someone? And poor old Mannfred was never really acknowledged although he was always there in the background!

rosesarered Thu 29-Jun-17 21:22:01

You ain't seen nuthin' like the mighty Quin!.......what's all that about then?grin

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Jun-17 16:56:00

grin

devongirl Thu 29-Jun-17 16:03:47

Damn you all! can't get Doo Wah Diddy Diddy out of my head now!!

lilypollen Thu 29-Jun-17 15:42:50

We've seen the Manfreds 3 times over the past 10 years. Love them. My absolute faves, still going strong are the Searchers (always preferred them to the Beatles). I tend to only listen to Gold stations, music means so much for memories. Had a grey and dark grey Dansette in the 60s. DH bought me the identical model in pale blue a few years ago.

Elrel Thu 29-Jun-17 15:17:02

I'd have been up there with you, kitty!

kittylester Thu 29-Jun-17 08:10:11

My bil played trumpet with Manfred Mann - unfortunately before they became famous.

I loved Paul Jones and a policeman once had to haul me off a drainpipe at the Gaumont in Derby when I was trying to get at to him. blush

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Jun-17 23:33:23

There she was just a-walkin' down the street ....

merlotgran Wed 28-Jun-17 23:13:27

Saw Manfred Mann at Portsmouth Guildhall in the sixties.

Paul Jones was the second biggest poster on my wall.....after Paul McCartney.

Nandalot Wed 28-Jun-17 22:29:32

We saw the Manfreds and bought a cd at the end and Paul was lovely. Very patient while my tech.phobic husband took a picture on my phone. He was very chatty through the show too and I was very impressed to see him standing quite steadily on one leg for Pretty Flamingo. Saw him again when he came to our local town with The Blues Band on my birthday. I thought that was very thoughtful of him! That was a good show too, a little less slick, and they admitted that it was the first show after a break and they were a bit rusty.

Deedaa Wed 28-Jun-17 22:08:48

Paul was performing at a theatre I worked at about 20 years ago and he was lovely. Probably feels he's had enough now.

glammanana Tue 27-Jun-17 10:05:32

Wow Newquay he must have come down a wee bit in status if he has to sell his own CDs mustn't he ? they did a show at a theatre near us a while ago and he just certainly did not want to be there he was so stand offish with people.

FarNorth Tue 27-Jun-17 10:01:45

Just checked Wikipedia - Paul is 75. Maybe he was feeling a bit worn out with being a star, Newquay.

Greenfinch Tue 27-Jun-17 09:47:09

Mine was green and cream ??

kittylester Tue 27-Jun-17 09:19:47

Mine was blue and cream.

rosesarered Tue 27-Jun-17 08:59:53

I had a Dansette ( I bet we all did) mine was red and cream coloured.

kittylester Tue 27-Jun-17 08:53:59

Pretty Flamingo was one of the first records I bought for my Dansette!

rosesarered Tue 27-Jun-17 08:45:02

5...4..3..2..1 ! Now, either sing it, or have it in your head all day.grin

Newquay Mon 26-Jun-17 22:23:06

Saw the Manfreds with DH a while ago. DH bought a CD at the end to replace an LP he had worn out as an art student and said as much to Paul who was selling them. He was very offhand as he was all through the concert too.

Newquay Mon 26-Jun-17 22:20:44

I've always been one for bursting into song, pity my poor family and colleagues. My dear Mum used to do the same. HER Mum was born in Leeds after HER Mum escaped the famine in Ireland (are you keeping up?). A few years ago I went on holiday to Ireland with DH and saw a tea cloth with the words of songs printed on them eg "by Killarney's lakes and hills" and others and I realised I knew them all. . . . Must have been passed down in song. Very moving moment.

Elrel Mon 26-Jun-17 00:35:34

Yes, Paul Jones ?