Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think daughters rent is her buisness

(16 Posts)
ninathenana Tue 04-Jul-17 18:23:53

D has just moved. My friend has just asked me how much the rent is. She did say she'd understand if I didn't answer.
I honestly don't know, it's none of my buisness and I wouldn't dream of asking. Would you ?

Ana Tue 04-Jul-17 18:27:43

Yes, I would - but I wouldn't tell anyone else!

shysal Tue 04-Jul-17 18:33:15

I wouldn't be offended if anyone asked about my DD's rent, and she makes no secret of it. The average 3 or 4 bedroom basic home in this area (Oxfordshire) is £1,300 to £1,500, which I think is extortionate.

tanith Tue 04-Jul-17 18:33:54

My daughters would probably tell me in general conversation if not I would probably ask at some point, like 'Ana' I wouldn't pass it on.

Alima Tue 04-Jul-17 18:58:57

I wouldn't ask. If I was that interested I could look up local rents on Rightmove. Round here they are astronomical.

Maggiemaybe Tue 04-Jul-17 19:02:02

I haven't a clue what my lot's mortgage payments are and it's never occurred to me to ask. I suppose we only need to know if they can't pay them! I wouldn't dream of telling anyone else, even if I did know.

Ilovecheese Tue 04-Jul-17 19:32:11

I asked one daughter because she lives and rents in London and I was curious. Don't know what the others' mortgage payments are hadn't occured to me to ask.

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Jul-17 19:43:10

I asked DD when she moved to London then wished I hadn't
'How much?' shock

petra Tue 04-Jul-17 20:28:40

It's just another of our British idiosyncrasies, this 'how much did it cost' thing.
I don't have a problem telling or asking.

merlotgran Tue 04-Jul-17 20:53:55

If the house is going to be re-let the rent will be on 'Right Move' for all to see.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 04-Jul-17 21:16:36

I'm British Petra and it is not something I would ask or share. I would find the question rude and really, why would anyone want to know? I have a real problem with gossip about other people's business;I forget it so quickly it's never in my memory long enough to repeat.

Swanny Tue 04-Jul-17 21:31:40

Have never asked DS how much rent he pays - I'm frightened of the possible answer! I know I can only afford my place in London because I qualify for Housing Benefit and he's just under a mile away from me. Most of the accommodation around him is Social Housing with two partners both working. Around me is mostly private and neighbours opposite sold their house for £1.5 million 2 months ago.

Deedaa Tue 04-Jul-17 21:54:23

I know how much DS pays because we have to help him with it. I know roughly how much DD's flat cost, but no idea what the mortgage payments are. I have sometimes told people what DS's rent is because I can't believe people have the nerve to charge so much!

ninathenana Tue 04-Jul-17 22:05:47

Just me then grin
D would tell if I asked.
I certainly wouldn't ask my friend what her two sons mortgage payments are. What good would it do me. D's flat is not even in my friend's or my area.

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Jul-17 22:58:27

Mine would tell me without me asking but it's their business whether or not they tell anyone else. Certainly not something I would pass on to a third party.

Eloethan Tue 04-Jul-17 23:52:07

I would ask my daughter - I think it's a quite natural thing to do. I don't think I'd ask a friend what rent her daughter was paying.