Gransnet forums

AIBU

Unreasonable flights cost

(11 Posts)
SueDonim Mon 14-Aug-17 18:25:18

Yes, I think we just got lucky because it was a Sunday morning after the schools had gone back. It's never happened before or since!

tanith Mon 14-Aug-17 18:22:00

I might keep checking 'SueDonim' just in case but the flights are normally booked solid .

SueDonim Mon 14-Aug-17 18:16:40

I feel your pain! My eldest son lives in the US and because they now have school-age children we and they have to fly at holiday times, which is expensive.

My other son lives in London, near Heathrow, and the flight prices from where I am in Scotland are preposterous! Only one airline flies to LHR from here and often a one way ticket is £250+. The minimum cost now seems to be £82, usually flying at the crack of dawn or the last flight of the day.

We did get lucky when his first child was born. I had a quick look online at about 11am on the Sunday morning and saw flights for £40. We were showered, dressed, packed and checked in at the airport by 1pm!

silverlining48 Mon 14-Aug-17 17:32:38

Pre christmas sounds good especially if your husbands treatment is finished by then, and you get to see the new addition. Lots to celebrate.
We too hope to go away in autumn as my husbands treatment has just finished, he is just left with the inevitable and awkward post surgery after effects!!
And yes it is unfair to hike the cost but twas ever thus unfortunately. Enjoy your trip.

tanith Mon 14-Aug-17 17:10:09

This really was a grab it while you can trip I would book months in advance under normal circumstances but things are far from normal at present. I think I'm going to have to settle for booking now for a pre Christmas visit as OHs treatment shoul be finished by then . The bonus with waiting is they are expecting a new addition in November so a bit of a bonus grin thanks for the suggestions it seems very unfair to hike prices soooooo much.

MawBroon Mon 14-Aug-17 17:04:36

Would it be worth paying a taxi to and from the further away airport? An hour+ away should not cost you more than about £80 each way.

silverlining48 Mon 14-Aug-17 16:49:53

But a huge amount...not nit!

silverlining48 Mon 14-Aug-17 16:49:12

Its always much more expensive the closer you are to the date of travel nit a huge amount if you are just going for a few days. Its Awkward if you have a window in which to travel which is close, and certainly with easyjet who we usually fly with to visit our daughter the longer in advance you book the better the price plus different days of the same week can cost double or worse usually over the weekends which we try to avoid.
Hope you can sort something out.

devongirl Mon 14-Aug-17 16:24:04

A friend told me that airlines release seats in blocks for booking, so it is difficult to know when is the best time to book.

He recommended www.skyscanner.net, I believe if you open an account you can get regular updates when new seats are going to become available..

Coolgran65 Mon 14-Aug-17 16:12:13

I do understand how it feels not to have seen family for so long. My ds and family are on an 8 hour time difference and the journey takes at least 18 hours with one stopover. To get it cheaper is at least 2 (longer) stopovers and up to 30 hour journey. We see them every 2 or 3 years, for two weeks.

Is it possible to book for flights about 5 weeks ahead, I've heard that's the best time for booking. Perhaps it isn't possible for you to plan this far ahead.

Can you really not travel from the airports that are further away. I feel sad for you.

tanith Mon 14-Aug-17 15:01:56

To pay reasonable price for flights?
My son and family abroad and I used to visit 2/3 times a year but due to my hip surgery and then OH being ill and having extended treatment I haven't visited for 18mth+ ,they managed to come over last Summer but it's now over a year since I've seen them and I miss them.
So OH has a break in his treatment and said grab a flight and go visit for a long weekend. I've just looked for flights this weekend and to go from our nearest airport it's £750 shock. I can go from an airport an hour+ away returning to a different airport £355 which would be a real hassle. I know it's holiday season and I expect to pay more but I've never paid more than £160 before and it's made me mad and sad in equal measure I doubt I shall be going sad.