Gransnet forums

AIBU

.. to be appalled by this news about Jacob Rees-Mogg on GMB today

(499 Posts)
devongirl Wed 06-Sep-17 11:33:30

"Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg says he is "completely opposed" to abortion, including in cases of rape or incest."

durhamjen Thu 14-Sep-17 17:09:04

He obviously doesn't communicate with MPs in Cornwall, even though the one for Redruth is nearly as blue as he is.

www.welfareweekly.com/there-are-children-out-there-starving-says-foodbank/

durhamjen Thu 14-Sep-17 16:23:24

Here's another of his attempts to distance himself from normal people.
He thinks the reason that people never used food banks under Labour was because Labour didn't tell them that they were there!!!

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-uk-food-bank-uplifting-conservative-mp-leader-a7946096.html

You'd think he would at least find out a few statistics to support what he says.

There were
2 foodbanks in 2004
22 in 2007-8
100 by 2011
close to 1000 by January 2014
more than 2000 in 2017

Hidden well, weren't they?

durhamjen Mon 11-Sep-17 14:04:57

twitter.com/Randombob18/status/906883099673362433/photo/1

Rees-Mogg being selective of his Christian values.

Anniebach Mon 11-Sep-17 09:38:28

If it looks like a duck?

Just what I have been saying about Comrade Corbyn

trisher Mon 11-Sep-17 09:08:01

JRM may have tried to distance himself from the movement but they are still great pals with the Conservatives.
www.ibtimes.co.uk/tory-think-tank-invites-anti-black-traditional-britain-group-anniversary-dinner-1610411
If it looks like a a duck........

Anniebach Mon 11-Sep-17 08:19:32

Yes POGS, that was the reason for the link I posted, thank you.

durhamjen Mon 11-Sep-17 08:15:25

Diane Johnson had a bill going through in March to decriminalise abortion. It was still a criminal act unless it had the writtn support of two doctors.
142 MPs voted against it, including 123 tories.
In favour were 173 including 146 labour and 17 tories.
That was the second reading, so it still isn't law.

At the moment there is a bill to reduce the time to 12 weeks. Some women don't even know they are pregnant until 12 weeks.

Eloethan Mon 11-Sep-17 00:03:50

I think there would be only a very few in any party who would be supportive of legislation to prohibit ALL abortions, bearing in mind that this would certainly result in the deaths of many women. Therefore, to describe it as an "extreme" position is, in my view, justified.

In my view, a woman's body is her own - it is not the property of any other individual or of the state - and no person or authority should be legally empowered to force her to continue with a pregnancy.

As to the sanctity of life, again tonight we were reminded in the news of the 400+ children (from babies to teenagers) who died, supposedly of natural causes, at Smyllum Park children's home, Lanarkshire (which was closed in 1981) and whose bodies were buried in a mass grave with no gravestone to commemorate them. Meanwhile, smart gravestones adorn the graves of the nuns who died there.

This is similar to the case of a former Catholic care home in Tuam, west Ireland where the remains of 800 babies and children were discovered.

Both discoveries have raised questions as to not only the manner of the children's burial but also the allegedly cruel regime operated by the nuns.

Once a child is born its life and wellbeing no longer appears to be of such interest to the church and state. Insufficient resources are available to properly look after the thousands of children who end up in the care system and help to parents who are struggling is strictly rationed and often inadequate.

GracesGranMK2 Sun 10-Sep-17 23:39:33

I have been getting more and more concern by the attempt to clamp down on anyone who criticises the Israeli government by playing the anti-Semitic card. In the long-run it will not do anyone any good.

Good post Eloethan.

GracesGranMK2 Sun 10-Sep-17 23:35:42

Madgran re prevarication - his replies to his tie-up with Traditional Britain Group

GracesGranMK2 Sun 10-Sep-17 23:30:18

Thanks devongirl.

POGS Sun 10-Sep-17 23:10:02

paddyann

Yes I would and have defended any MP of Any faith or from Any party to vote with their conscience or be able to speak about their faith without being subjected abuse/hatred or intolerance .

Do you believe only Conservative MP's vote against Abortion Bills ?

POGS Sun 10-Sep-17 23:01:54

I may be wrong but I think Anniebach may have provided a link to Corbyn /Paul Eisen and D Y R in response to Eloethans point re Rees-Mogg attending the dinner when she said:-

" Or you may conclude that, even if he was totally unaware of the sort of statements made by the Group's members, the Group had formed the opinion that he was broadly supportive of their views and aims, which is why they invited him as guest of honour."

In other words if you believe that Rees-Mogg is guilty 'by association'. then remember that view could be said of many politicians and some politicians on more than a handful of occasions with connections to some banned organisations .

Or is it only Rees-Mogg?

By the way Eloethan you also said:-

" But there are no instances of Corbyn making racist statements about any group of people. "
----

Well neither has Rees-Mogg to my knoiwledge and I have still not been informed by posters who have made allegations that Rees-Mogg has done so as to why/where/when he has!

paddyann Sun 10-Sep-17 22:52:53

he already SAID his religious "whip" was more important than the parliamentary one pogsNow tell me if this was about moslem MP's putting THEIR religion first would you still be on his side ...as they were "honest" about it ..or doesn't it apply to anyone but"christian" religions

POGS Sun 10-Sep-17 22:36:21

trisher

" In other words in order to continue to receive Holy Communion JRM MUST act in some way to counter the move towards abortion and anything else the Catholic Church opposes. So although he may acknowledge that "the democratic majority is entitled to have the laws of the land as they are". He has a responsibility to act in line with his religious beliefs. I am convinced that his concern for his salvation and his soul would allow him to abandon any democratic beliefs if there was a conflict of interests."
-
If that is your opinion then it would it not follow you are saying MP's from whichever party who are Catholic and take Holy Communion , indeed ALL/ANY Catholics irrespective of being MP's who take Holy Communion would ' abandon any democratic beliefs in a conflict of interest'.

Or just Jacob Rees-Mogg.

durhamjen Sun 10-Sep-17 20:51:00

Annie says she never reads my links, so I return the compliment now, trisher.

trisher Sun 10-Sep-17 19:16:23

Anniebach has told me off for outdated links before. Hers is 2015 HIGONFY?
I haven't said he isn't entitled to an opinion lemongrove I have questioned what would take precedence if his religious beliefs came into conflict with democratic ideas.

Serkeen Sun 10-Sep-17 18:46:57

My priest mentioned this MP in his sermon today!

durhamjen Sun 10-Sep-17 18:43:54

Accusations against Corbyn are acceptable, though, are they?

lemongrove Sun 10-Sep-17 18:40:24

I don't think that anniebach or anybody else has 'supported' JRM on this thread, ( his views on abortion) but rather have aknowledged that just like everybody else, he is entitled to an opinion.Yet on and on it rolls, with accusations of all sorts being flung about.Quite ridiculous.

durhamjen Sun 10-Sep-17 18:36:27

I've just checked mine and my husband's because I filled it in online, but kept the paper copy for future research interest - just in case anyone is in the family. The government doesn't want to do it in 2021, does it?
Anyway we are in the no religion group.
Hard to believe that 70% said Christian then.
I had to fill my husband's in because he couldn't write because of the ataxia. It was a few months before he died.

Just realised that that census was taken on our eldest granddaughter's 18th birthday. I wonder where she was!

Eloethan Sun 10-Sep-17 18:34:50

Corbyn's response was:

"On Monday, Corbyn responded for the first time personally to the accusations, claiming Holocaust denial was “vile and wrong.” He said: “I have no contact now whatsoever with Paul Eisen. I did attend a number of events concerning DYR a number of years ago.”

“I think it’s reasonable we should remember all those people who have suffered in the Middle East on whatever side,” he added. Eisen had recently claimed Corbyn had “put his chequebook on the table” to support his cause, however the veteran Islington MP said he had “no recollection of a chequebook on the table.”

“Fifteen years ago he was not a Holocaust denier; if he had been I would have had nothing to do with him. The Holocaust was the most vile part of our history. The Jewish people killed were the ones who suffered the most in the 21st century."

You already think Corbyn is the devil incarnate anniebach so nothing can persuade you otherwise. But there are no instances of Corbyn making racist statements about any group of people. His record, in my view, is an honourable one and he has throughout his political career worked for peace. Corbyn is unpopular with some Jewish people because he has been critical of Israeli government policies relating to the Palestinians - and that is a very dangerous route to go down. Anyone who criticises the Israeli government - including Jewish people - are called "anti-semites" or "self-hating Jews". However, in April 2016, 82 professional, academic and religious Jewish people - together with several other individual correspondents - wrote a letter to The Guardian expressing their support for Corbyn and the Labour Party and refuting any suggestion that he or the party was anti-semitic.

But you go ahead, carry on supporting Rees-Mogg - whose comments and voting record show his complete disregard for the welfare of poor, sick and disabled people and his medieval views on women, together with his opposition to the notion of a fair and equal society.

trisher Sun 10-Sep-17 18:07:37

I suspect it began taking off when some people claimed they were Jedis in the Census
This makes hilarious reading particularly the England and Wales details!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon

durhamjen Sun 10-Sep-17 18:00:40

It shows that people can feel they can be more honest these days, devongirl and GracesGran. For years I used to say I was CofE when asked when in hospital. Nowhere else; just when having an operation. I don't know why, I don't think it gave me any better protection!

devongirl Sun 10-Sep-17 17:56:10

GGMk2 this is the survey:

natcen.ac.uk/news-media/press-releases/2017/september/british-social-attitudes-record-number-of-brits-with-no-religion/