Gransnet forums

AIBU

Odd things we do without realising it

(54 Posts)
Hildagard Fri 15-Sep-17 08:02:02

I have just realised that I clean my teeth with my eyes closed, odd?! Anyone else do odd things, hope it's not just me?

gillybob Wed 27-Sep-17 07:10:05

When I sip from a glass of wine I automatically touch my neck with my other hand. It's fine with other glasses it's just wine glasses with stems.

MesMopTop Wed 27-Sep-17 00:26:12

Kettle on as soon as I get up and before I do anything else. My DH, for some odd reason, will stand on one leg to put his trousers on. Will not sit down and looks just like a stork! Maybe I'm just jealous of his balance! Just realised I also put mascara on with my mouth open ?. When feeding a baby or older person, I was told I always open my mouth as I put the spoon to their mouths. Didn't even realise I was doing that.

Swanny Mon 18-Sep-17 19:56:01

DS has one of those magnetic strips for knives and they all have to be facing the same way, left to right for large to small too.

Swanny Mon 18-Sep-17 19:54:01

I read somewhere ages ago about standing on one leg while brushing teeth to improve balance. Tried it and fell against the radiator! Realised then that for some reason I close my eyes while cleaning my teeth so had nothing to focus on to balance ...

narrowboatnan Mon 18-Sep-17 19:45:20

We have a magnetic strip on the wall for attaching kitchen knives to. They all absolutely have to have the blade facing the same way, and be in size order from left to right, biggest first.

nancan Sun 17-Sep-17 21:42:59

My DH says I wiggle my bottom whilst I'm cleaning my teeth.

Grandma2213 Sun 17-Sep-17 00:07:45

Moocow .. my eyes are open doing the hula hoop move and cleaning teeth but may try shutting them. Isn't there some sort of test involving standing on one leg with eyes shut to improve balancing skills? I do have a very small bathroom so it could be lethal if I topple. I will let you know (if I survive!!)
Marmight .. I hang socks out in pairs too but then gather them in a bundle so still have to sort them out again when they are dry!! There are always some odd ones at the end, whose mates have disappeared into the black hole of socks. Can anyone explain that ?

lemongrove Sat 16-Sep-17 18:42:28

I read magazines from back to the front, but not newspapers or (of course?) books.
I too have to have all apples the right way up in a bowl.
I can put mascara on without jaw drop and also brush teeth with eyes open ( so it can be done) but had to force myself to do it that way today , just as a test.

Marmight Sat 16-Sep-17 13:14:12

I'm another eyes closed tooth brusher. I also have my eyes shut when chatting on the phone. On the few occasions I hang the washing out on the line the socks have to be in pairs and everything else has to be colour coordinated. I'm certainly not ocd - just like everything to look aesthetically pleasing grin

Nannarose Sat 16-Sep-17 08:09:33

Mouth part open when doing eye make up is an old models' trick as it seems to 'stabilise' facial muscles-no I don't know about the anatomy of it, but it is well known and done by a lot of us!

Moocow Sat 16-Sep-17 07:48:08

My mum pointed out to me years ago that i flick nd red through magazines from the back. Thought i was the only one! I'm right-handed.

I'm going to try the hula move ( great idea grandma2213) but might not brush my teeth properly as i find i close my eyes too as it stops me from being distracted and helps me to brush probably.

BlueBelle Sat 16-Sep-17 06:45:46

Always clean my teeth in the shower running water on tap (see what I did there )
Always find myself smiling when I check myself in the mirror ...why
Always have worn watch on right arm (right handed and not dyslexic)
Alologise out loud to any insects I kill, I try not to kill many but bluebottles and wasps have to go and I always hear myself saying 'sorry mate' out loud

Grandma2213 Sat 16-Sep-17 01:02:06

I do an imaginary hula hoop when cleaning my teeth. 100 swings to the left and 100 to the right. Keeps me flexible after a hip replacement 10 years ago!

I always eat the most disliked food from my plate first too. When it's cold and yucky is much worse which I learned from being forced in childhood!

Nanna58 Fri 15-Sep-17 21:40:57

Hollycat I assume the same stance when blow drying my hair - bizarre!?

Lilyflower Fri 15-Sep-17 21:12:36

I pack the dishwasher in the same OCD way every morning and if the DH packs it differently I unpack it and do it my way. We have a pact now, I do the morning and he packs the dishwasher in the evening. His way is definitely 'wrong' even though the dishes come out sparkling.

Is it mad if you know it is?

Andyf Fri 15-Sep-17 20:15:28

I too always start magazines/brochures from the back. So did my Grandmother, we were both right handed.

Nelliemaggs Fri 15-Sep-17 19:59:14

I drive myself insane counting things, quite unnecessarily, e.g. when picking up Lego pieces, or the brush strokes when I clean my teeth, slices of banana as I cut one up for my grandson, arm strokes when I swim, anything and everything. I stop myself doing it then find myself at it again a few minutes later. I don't have any counting rituals, I couldn't care less what number I get to, I just seem to do it for no reason at all.

Grandmama Fri 15-Sep-17 18:36:19

Someone (a man) in a magazine queried why women opened their mouths when putting on mascara. I thought about it and realised I always open my mouth. I read magazines and newspapers from the back, somehow it's easier to flip over the pages. The apples and tangerines in the fruit bowl all have to be the same way up.

stevej4491 Fri 15-Sep-17 18:30:08

One of my sons always eats veg first,potatoes next and meat last.Always has done since being very small,he's now fort,y seven,can't see him changing anytime soon.

Hildagard Fri 15-Sep-17 18:10:02

Oops just posted same thing again, take more tonic with it doh.......

Hildagard Fri 15-Sep-17 18:08:51

Cookgran65 are you left handed by any chance? I to read magazines and papers from back to front and am left handed

devongirl Fri 15-Sep-17 16:09:53

I brush my teeth at night while in the bath! catches drips and I can stay warm and cosy while doing the chore..

Hollycat Fri 15-Sep-17 15:40:45

I stand on my right leg and rest my left foot on the toilet seat lid while cleaning my teeth. Doesn't everyone?grin

Direne3 Fri 15-Sep-17 15:18:05

Some years back, it was pointed out to me by visiting DD3 that I always tapped my toothbrush on the sink 3 times (to dry) when I'd finished with it. Now I feel self-conscious even when alone in the house and try to vary the timing.

ninathenana Fri 15-Sep-17 14:52:55

When I line up the plates to dish ulp it's always S on right H middle Mine left and I'm another that always arranges the plate the same way and I always put them on the table so that the plate is the same as when I dished up.
Always pants, bra, skirt then top and left shoe before right.
I thought everyone closed their eyes when teeth cleaning smile
I also have the jaw drop reflex when applying mascara.