Gransnet forums

AIBU

Security tag left on

(12 Posts)
Izzywizzy Sun 24-Sep-17 16:52:56

I was on holiday in Devon and bought a coat from a smallish Boutique shop. Once home went to put my coat on only to find a liquid filled security tag on the lapel.
Goodness knows why I didn't notice the tag but as it was a one of a kind shop and about 400 miles away i never managed to get the tag off so the coat was never worn.

inishowen Sun 24-Sep-17 16:22:44

I bought a handbag in Tesco. You've guessed it, the security tag was left on. The alarm didn't sound so I was oblivious. Hubby managed to take it off but it left a small hole in the bag.

DerekB Fri 22-Sep-17 21:53:35

A couple of times my ICD (Heart Pacemaker) has set off one of these alarms. Staff usually just ignore me when I tell them.
I also have to tell the security at airports. Not usually a problem but I do know people who have been hauled off for strip searches.

OurKid1 Fri 22-Sep-17 10:22:15

Happened to me once in Bhs (sadly no more sad). I phoned the store first and got the name of someone to go to and when they would be in. No problem. Apparently it happens "all the time!" so flippin' do summat about it then!

annsixty Fri 22-Sep-17 08:00:37

This happens far more often than it should.
If you get home with the article it is very inconvenient to go back and involve lengthy explanations and if it does off leaving the store it is very embarrassing.
It happened to my neighbour in M&S and the security guard was very unpleasant, with of course lots of people staring. He wouldn't check her receipt and insisted on her going back inside.
When her husband was told he rang London and told them to check just how much they spent yearly with them.
She had to borrow vases to fill with the flowers they received.
The system is flawed. It should show at the till when security tags are removed and warn if they are not.

Gagagran Fri 22-Sep-17 07:28:33

On our weekly shop in Tesco my DH usually triggers the alarm both going in and coming out. We can't work out why but the security guard has only stopped him once so maybe it's faulty? It never happens to me!

Liz46 Fri 22-Sep-17 07:25:05

The alarm went off as we walked out of Asda. None of the staff took any notice but we went back in and told a member of staff. She checked our receipt, said it could be the steak and rummaged through the bags, found it and went and checked. Yes, there had been a security tag on the steak!

Grandma2213 Fri 22-Sep-17 01:55:27

An alarm once went off in a shoe shop as I left without buying shoes. I turned out to be a tag in my handbag which I had bought in another shop weeks before! They did something to it so it was no longer a problem!

Cherrytree59 Thu 21-Sep-17 22:40:57

Has happened twice to me
Had receipt first time

Second time I had bought 2 hoodies for DGS in the sale.
The larger one DD put away until a later date
Unfortunately unbeknown to us, that one still had security tag hidden on an inside seam.

I no longer had the receipt and even though had purchased the top quite some time ago I decided to go back to the store on the off chance.
(Minus the hoodie didn't want to be arrestedshock)

I explained my predicament to the assistant
but as you said luckylegs the answer was 'we will only remove tag with the receipt'.

I then asked to speak to the manager.
I explained the situation once more.
I pointed out that it was not me as a customer who was at fault but the shop assistant who had not checked the garment properly and removed security tag.

I also questioned the reliability of the store door alarm as it had not sounded as I passed through on my departure..

I finished off my spiel with the a nice smile....
'And I am a very good Customer you know'
well have been in a few times

Bingo!
They agreed to remove B****y tag

So my advice is to speak to manager
And Grovelwink

EdithCrawley Thu 21-Sep-17 22:40:53

What kind of tag is it? If it's a simple magnetic one you can hit it with a hammer and pull it apart.

If it's got dye in you'll need a proper removal!

Marydoll Thu 21-Sep-17 19:56:28

A couple of months ago, I picked up Click and Collect parcels from Asda. As I went out of the store, the alarm went off. I went back in and security guard checked, but couldn't find anything. I got down to the underground car park and the alarm went off again. This time a member of staff insisted I accompany him back upstairs to search my bags. I refused and said, " You can take the box back and check, I've already been searched once. They did that and found nothing. I got home, opened the box and the Yankee candles inside were smashed and there were security tags attached to the glass!!

Luckylegs9 Thu 21-Sep-17 19:42:43

I bought a lovely scarf afford from Roman, months ago, it has just sat in the drawer, decided to wear it today, but the security tag was on, rang the shop, they said they would remove it with the receipt, which I haven't got it, paid cash o what do I do? In future I am going to uses a credit card for everything, I just dont keep receipts for small amounts.