Gransnet forums

AIBU

Ryanair

(27 Posts)
Morgana Thu 21-Sep-17 23:36:33

I would NEVER book with them again if my flight had been cancelled. How about you?

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:12:59

Ha ha grin

Unfortunately, I had put my medication and jewellery into the 'hand luggage' which they took off me on the tarmac and put into the hold.
All arrived safely however.

Yes, we have had padlocks wrenched off hold luggage, breaking the zips. Not by Ryanair.

PamelaJ1 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:44:37

We flew with them for the first time this year. All went well.
We don't lock our baggage any more Jalima. If someone wants to steal anything it's better they don't ruin the case too.
If they do I hope it's the dirty underwear on the way home?

Lisalou Wed 18-Oct-17 19:39:29

Christinefrance, we recently had a flight cancelled for our December flights, and were offered a change at no added cost, plus and 80euro voucher each to fly to any of their destinations between now and end of march - we will be able to have a little break. I am not complaining.
On the other hand, we do tend to fly ryanair because their flights are always cheaper (I look at all the others and always end up on ryanair because it is cheaper than the others)

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:38:29

O'Leary's arrogance may be his undoing.

Christinefrance Wed 18-Oct-17 17:22:49

I have recently had a flight cancellation with Ryanair, unfortunately they are the only airline flying from Limoges to UK so no choice. The problem was not the inadequate rostering but the fact that a lot of pilots and training captains left to join Norwegian airline. O'Leary badly underestimated how the public would react to his cancellations, time he was moved on.

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Oct-17 12:45:34

We had to fly with them from our local airport because the only alternative to get to our destination was Lufthansa with two stopovers which would have taken 14 hours instead of four.

However, they took our hand luggage and put it in the hold - we hadn't anticipated that and it wasn't padlocked.

NonnaW Wed 18-Oct-17 12:35:37

We’ve just returned from Portugal. Ryanair flights both ways were fine, no delays, just the usual restricted seating. However, I was amused to notice, on the check-in desk at Faro, a (very small) notice stating that in the event of a delay of more than 2 hours, we should go to the ticket desk to be advised of our rights and possible compensation.

mazza245 Wed 18-Oct-17 11:47:55

Friends of ours were booked on Monarch to return from Portugal but their flights were changed to Ryanair. They couldn't land at Manchester or Liverpool for some reason so were told they would be landing in Dublin with three hours wait then taken to Manchester. In the event, this was on Monday, they still flew them into Dublin, knowing that the airport would be closed because of the wind. They were dumped there, no help offered at all, complete chaos. We got them a hotel and the first flight out was TODAY, so two nights in a very expensive hotel (not much choice, all had doubled their prices or were completely unavailable), extra subsistence etc, no compensation offered as yet.

I wouldn't fly with them if they were the last airline going on our route, no sirree!

nonnasusie Wed 18-Oct-17 11:36:46

My stepdaughter and family are booked to come here on Ryanair at the end of November and we are booked with them at Christmas!! Fingers crossed! Mind you we have friends that were booked with Monarch who have had to rebook with Ryanair from Naples. It has cost them 2 days extra car hire and an hotel in Naples due to a very early flight!!

Lindylo Wed 18-Oct-17 11:11:22

Has anyone else noticed that Ryanair are advertising on the TV? £19.99 flights apparently... They shouldn't be allowed to until they sort their problems out. I couldn't believe it when I saw the advert.

CassieJ Fri 22-Sep-17 12:39:11

I last flew Ryanair 10 years ago from Paisley. The customer service staff were incredibly rude and we had very poor service. It was the worst flight I have ever had.
I said then that I would never fly with them again and never have. I wouldn't now even if they were the cheapest ones going.

I think that Ryanair have really shot themselves in the foot with their handling of this.

NonnaW Fri 22-Sep-17 11:17:26

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Sep-17 10:17:48

Don't hold your breath Nonna - this week people who were flying on Wednesday found out on Monday that their flights had been cancelled

KatyK Fri 22-Sep-17 10:07:34

It's awful. We have flown with Ryanair on many occasions and have never had any problem whatsoever.

NonnaW Fri 22-Sep-17 09:33:47

We are booked on Ryanair in a couple of weeks. So far, it looks as though our flight is not affected, but if this changes, I sincerely hope they give us enough notice to cancel the car hire at the other end, and the parking this end. We will certainly think hard about booking with them again. Having upped their game over the past couple of years, they are slipping back to that 'the customer is always wrong' ethos.

Morgana Fri 22-Sep-17 08:48:02

I thought that too Bluebelle. They were talking about the C.E.O. doing a 'Ratner' yesterday!
The TV programme about Easyjet training pilots was interesting.

Nelliemoser Fri 22-Sep-17 08:38:10

I wonder how they are going to survive. To mess up all your staff rotas is a cock-up of massive proportions.

They have to cut down on their business activities which will mean less income and they are also having to pay out huge compensation claims.
I also have heard that many of the pilots are trying to move elsewhere.

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Sep-17 08:07:12

If no one flew with Ryanair, other airlines would expand and offer more jobs. Pilots in particular are in high demand and one of Ryanair's problems is that many pilots are jumping ship ( so to speak) to other airlines. I've flown Norwegian Air - I didn't even know it was budget. There is clearly appalling management as other airlines have managed with the requirements of how to record pilots annual flying hours.

silverlining48 Fri 22-Sep-17 07:26:15

I am not saying easyjet are great, they are often delayed, by 3 hours for us earlier this month when visiting berlin. And in schonefeld there are few seats for everyone.
We go across regularly and have noticed each trip that we are the oldest passengers by quite some years, perhaps its the destination, not sure, but wonder where the g/ net generation are. Probably not in berlin!

silverlining48 Fri 22-Sep-17 07:19:39

We only used ryanair once, many years ago. It was fairly chaotic at check in, we nearly missed our flight due to how they were dealing with us and we decided not to use them again. Since then its always easyjet because i thought they treated their people better.
However people will always gly with airlines that iffer cheap fares and so if and when this gets eventually sorted out ryanair will still have plenty of customers.

JackyB Fri 22-Sep-17 07:01:00

I have always had to use Ryanair as they are the only ones who do the route which is most convenient for me. I have never had trouble except delays which are usually caused by events beyond their control such as weather. I don't pay any extras and I have come to object to paying more on other airlines thus paying for the other passengers' extras. I sympathise with the employees who are treated quite badly but if no one flew with them they wouldnt have a job at all.

If they stop using Stansted as they say they will after Brexit I will have to fly to Luton and am dreading the drive. Heaven knows where I will be able to fly from. I visit my mother near Newmarket every few weeks.

BlueBelle Fri 22-Sep-17 06:36:44

I have to fly with Ryanair as they are the only ones going to the area I go to two or three times a year I have had some shocking flights with them and dreadful customer service BUT for the last few years they have been a lot better and I haven't had any problems but they are renowned for poor treatment of crew so I m not in the least surprised they are having problems however I m certainly sure the story is NOTHING to do with holidays and there will be much more behind it, than what they are saying

Humbertbear Fri 22-Sep-17 02:05:51

Can I please recommend Norwegian airlines . I just flew with them and the service was incredible. They are using new planes so the tickets are cheaper as they use less. Fuel. They will be my airline of choice from now on.

Eloethan Thu 21-Sep-17 23:57:29

I've never used Ryanair and don't intend to. I think Michael O'Leary is a rude man who appears to have nothing but contempt for his employees and his customers.

Marydoll Thu 21-Sep-17 23:39:31

After previous disastrous trips and extremely poor service, we have never used them since and never will again.