Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be ashamed of being British?

(159 Posts)
Morgana Tue 10-Oct-17 23:25:57

Just watched Panorama. Reminiscent of Germany in the thirties - made my flesh run cold. Pity no mention of the role of the gutter press.

varian Thu 12-Oct-17 21:50:27

Surely none of us can deny that the UK has changed for the worse in the last two years. Our country has never been so divided.

Anniebach Thu 12-Oct-17 22:19:09

I do agree Varian,

Nelliemoser Thu 12-Oct-17 23:15:30

Why should I be ashamed to be British?
Compared with many other countries we have a stable and more or less liberal democracy (whether or not we like the government in power.)

We still have the remains of a welfare state (which the current government appears to be trying to demolish) but we could just be in a worse mess .

Britains large role in the slave trade was certainly shameful but we cannot keep beating our country up for our bad deeds of the past. It is not an excuse but many other countries behaved in the same way. We just need to remember our colonial past enough to remind ourseleves that we must never reapeat it.

What is more, our little island is beautiful. We have so much wonderfully varied scenery packed into such a small country.
(I am totally hooked on our landscape for which I cannot claim any credit whatsoever.) When I have come back from the meditteranean and come out of the airport think thank heavens to be back where everything is green and lush.

Day6 Fri 13-Oct-17 00:10:11

If we don't show a better side, and defend ourselves - and the majority of our fellow-countrymen - from stereotypes, then the bad image goes unchallenged,

Well said Elegran

I do think a sense of proportion is needed. The majority of people everywhere are kind, considerate and not full of hatred.

Modern media would have us think every man a molester or sex fiend, every voice of dissent a harbinger of doom, every care home a place of abuse, every hospital inefficient and every immigrant hard done by. It's just not true.

Most people tend to be decent. Life is still good.

SOME people - individuals - are beyond the pale. It has always been thus.

We are in danger of sensationalising everything and some people on GN are guilty of emphasising the bad in this world.

I remain proud to be British.

Day6 Fri 13-Oct-17 00:20:50

The EU as it is at present encompasses many racist extreme right wing parties the like of which are reminiscent of the 1930s at it's very worst. I can't help thinking if it hadn't become the unwieldy federal union it is today that this resurrgence of nationalism wouldn't have happened.

I feel exactly the same way Terribull. I was in a large discussion group the other day and exactly the same point was raised.
The EU has a lot to answer for.

The EU question has also divided the UK. It arouses strong feeling and has pitted one against the other. However, I know of no Leaver who wishes anyone else any harm or who is racist. It's a cliche to say that now now when many can see how people all over the continent of Europe are unsettled and rising up. The political climate has opened the doors to unrest.

lemongrove Fri 13-Oct-17 08:53:05

It’s a strange thing, but a lot who voted Remain seem to think that anything to do with the EU and other countries in Europe is all sweetness and light.Britain still remains one of , if not the best country ( considering how diverse the population is ) in regards to race relations and generally getting along together, it’s as if they know nothing of other
Countries and their problems in this area! Especially when you consider how small a country, but how heavily populated we are.

Eloethan Fri 13-Oct-17 09:11:24

I am neither proud nor ashamed to be British. I am pleased about some of what this country does and displeased about some other things.

On balance, I think this country is more tolerant than many other countries but I don't think there is any room at all for complacency. The fact that racist incidents have increased recently is certainly a matter for concern.

I think making a positive contribution to the country you live in, in terms of your general conduct and actions, is of more importance than empty flag waving-type gestures.

GillT57 Fri 13-Oct-17 10:04:04

well put Eleothan.

Firecracker123 Fri 13-Oct-17 10:46:40

Why would anyone be ashamed of being British, I'm English and I'm glad that I am. If you are ashamed of being British perhaps you should move to some other country then.

Tegan2 Fri 13-Oct-17 10:58:38

No Firecracker; I am ashamed to be British at this moment in time, but love my country to the extent that it breaks my heart to see what has happened to it and it's people. Comments such as 'if you don't like it just move' only serve to reinforce my horror. What about the people who did 'move to some other country' and now are in a state of limbo not knowing what the future holds for them? Oh, sorry, the usual comments are 'well, you moved away so that's your problem'. sad

margrete Fri 13-Oct-17 11:30:17

I didn't see the 'Panorama' programme so I don't know what you're talking about.

Paddyann says she has never felt British. Nor have I. I'm English, English, English!

Firecracker123 Fri 13-Oct-17 13:05:07

Theresa May has said she wants all EU citizens to stay and do a reciprocal deal. The ball is in the EU court. It's them you should be criticising.

Morgana Fri 13-Oct-17 13:07:31

Sad to read the comments along the lines of 'we are not as racist as other countries'. Yes racism exists elsewhere - but surely we should not be complacent about it here? The rise in the number of reported incidents here is very worrying.

TerriBull Fri 13-Oct-17 14:12:33

There are completely unpleasant people in every country who take a dislike to foreigners, simply because they are just that. I believe this week a young British man was sadly killed in Germany by a far right nationalist who didn't like foreigners. Possibly the average German is also saying to him/herself "I'm ashamed to be German would this have happened a few years ago before our country underwent such a seismic shift and it breaks my heart to see what has been unleashed as a consequence"

Why should there be a collective guilt for the behaviour of a minority? I suspect you could go anywhere in the world and there would be hositlities to incomers. The rise in nationalism throughout Europe displays an almost tribal primeval mentality it's not unique to Britain. Possibly it's borne out of a feeling of being subsumed by a disengaged central government creating the climate for the Pandora's Box of nationalism.

lemongrove Fri 13-Oct-17 14:16:42

Good post TerriBull smile

Bellanonna Fri 13-Oct-17 17:19:47

I like your post Eloethan, it makes a lot of sense.

Granny23 Mon 16-Oct-17 09:46:39

Here is a blog post about the same Panorama programme:

marksimonfrankland.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/for-very-first-time-in-my-56-years-of.html

Isn't it strange how different people can watch the same programme and take a completely different view of it?

gillybob Mon 16-Oct-17 12:45:49

I didn't see it either to be fair, but have just read the link (I never normally read links) posted by Granny23 and can't help but feel that this man (Mark Frankland) needs to move on from the past. None of us the world over could ever feel proud of atrocities / misdeeds / wars that happened many years ago. But we need to move on and I can't help but feel that he has specially chosen the most recent incident (The Polish family) in order to paint the English in the worst possible light and of course the Scottish in the best. I imagine that another writer/blogger could and would find a very similar story the other way around.

paddyann Mon 16-Oct-17 12:48:27

Granny23 its a great blog ,I know many English born people who live here who feel the same ,some who have only been here 6 or 7 years .They call themselves Scots by choice .Long may it last .Thats where the differences show,we are inclusive,our nationalism is CIVIC not blood and soil .I am and have always been Scottish...I dont understand what "british" IS.I dont hate anyone from any other part of these isles ,as I've said before I have an english son in law and grandaughter and loads of English cousins etc.Its never been about the people it has been about WM ,about being controlled by people who dont know or understand us.Thats why it pees me off when folk like Richard Madeley sat on TV and asked" WHY do Scots hate us so mauch they want to leave us".....I would ask our friends from the south if they would be happy being run by Spain or Portugal...if being given a portion of your income back and then told you HAVE to spend it how your told would be how they want England to be run? I'd guess its not ...they dont even like the small % OF laws that came from the EU !

Iam64 Mon 16-Oct-17 12:56:55

I'm from the north west, with a very mixed heritage like most of us but I identify as English. Given a chance, I'd like independence from Westminster. I have some sympathy with the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish who'd like separation from Britain - but I still feel nationalism is not always a good thing. I also do feel its unfair that the only part of the British Isles it seems fair game to criticise, is England.

Tegan2 Mon 16-Oct-17 13:47:21

Have to agree with your last sentence; can't remember what we were watching but, on hearing a throwaway comment on tv I said to the S.O. you could only aim that comment at an Englishman; wouldn't dare aim it at someone else.

lemongrove Mon 16-Oct-17 13:48:49

Yes, agreed Iam64 if English people expressed sentiments of say, pride in their country, it is taken as being akin to the NF, whereas Scottish people are regarded as somehow admirable if they express the same views.Unfair? Yes, very.

Maggiemaybe Mon 16-Oct-17 13:58:10

But then we don't live in a land of milk and honey where peace and harmony forever flow. Though from the official statistics, neither does anyone else.

Tegan2 Mon 16-Oct-17 15:20:03

Photographed on it's way to France....[hangs head in shame]....

Maggiemaybe Mon 16-Oct-17 15:49:11

What on earth is that, Tegan? And whose is it?