Gransnet forums

AIBU

A week of Fridays

(24 Posts)
MawBroon Fri 24-Nov-17 00:04:51

All week I have been bombarded with “Black Friday” advertising which has been very confusing as it has only just become Friday or am I in a different time zone from Planets Amazon/Ocado/etc etc

cornergran Fri 24-Nov-17 00:22:49

Just a way of encouraging us to buy a ‘bargain’ that sometimes isn’t in my view, maw. So, no, you aren’t in a different time zone, they are jumping on a bandwagon that I think was begun in America. I have been deleting the emails without reading them, possibly to my detriment if there is something we really, really need, but I’ll take the risk.

SueDonim Fri 24-Nov-17 00:59:55

I received one which read 'Black Friday sale! Starts Wednesday!' confused

grannyactivist Fri 24-Nov-17 01:10:58

Now I'm feeling a bit miffed that I haven't got any emails enticing me into a Black Friday spending spree! grin

Actually just now I very nearly bought myself an iPad mini to replace my old one; it was almost £100 cheaper than at John Lewis and I did plan to get one if I could find a bargain. Somehow, even though I know I probably won't find one as cheap again, I just couldn't bring myself to press the final button. I have the money, I do actually need a new one as my old one really is on its last legs, but I need to sleep on it once more. I don't do impulse buying even when I've been planning the bloomin purchase for months!

ninathenana Fri 24-Nov-17 05:46:06

A 'Which' survey concluded that items are often cheeper after Black Friday

BBbevan Fri 24-Nov-17 06:21:24

It's one of those American imports again ?

kittylester Fri 24-Nov-17 07:00:35

On Breakfast this morning someone said that 'traditionally' we shop for variations today. confused

MawBroon Fri 24-Nov-17 07:04:22

confused
Not aware “we” traditionally shop for anything today but what on Earth is a”variation” ?

kittylester Fri 24-Nov-17 07:08:33

Bloody phone - bargains!!!!!

grannyactivist Fri 24-Nov-17 07:12:11

Still not inundated with emails asking me to purchase Black Friday goods; only Able Labels bothered with me and offered me 25% off. I don't do much shopping on t'internet, and rarely indulge in any impulse buys so I guess I'm not their target consumer. I've even managed to talk myself out of buying the new iPad that I was thinking of getting.

Bellasnana Fri 24-Nov-17 07:44:41

kitty grin

Yes, I've been inundated also. I have to say I do not understand why this phenomenon has 'crossed the pond' as it is traditionally what Americans do the day after Thanksgiving. I had never heard of Black Friday until I went to visit DD2 in the US. confused

Marydoll Fri 24-Nov-17 07:53:20

I got up this morning to 20 "Black Friday" emails. I've just deleted them all!

mumofmadboys Fri 24-Nov-17 08:03:28

We bought a half price HF holiday for February when the offers came out on Wednesday. Really chuffed!

MawBroon Fri 24-Nov-17 08:07:58

Kittlylester gringringrin!!!

M0nica Fri 24-Nov-17 08:10:17

I have been inundated with Black Friday adverts. No idea why.

I am neither an impulse buyer, nor a rush out and buy buyer and my present buying is particular and precise and generally not the frippery Christmas trivia on offer in the Black Friday sales.

I have decided not to do any shopping or buying from now until the middle of next week. My tiny protest will be noticed by none and dint no sales. But it makes me feel smug!!!

BlueBelle Fri 24-Nov-17 08:35:36

I too have been bombarded they have all gone in the bin I m afraid I m an old cynic and don’t believe in Black Friday bargains and dislike it
I suppose people will be ‘ killing’ their friends to get to the start of the queue never seen such horrible stuff as the US (and us in a smaller way thankfully ) bargain hunters .....barbaric

baubles Fri 24-Nov-17 08:47:01

This popped up on my Facebook feed this morning. grin

Bellanonna Fri 24-Nov-17 09:05:34

I’ve just deleted 7. I’ve no idea what they were about, just didn’t read them.

Luckygirl Fri 24-Nov-17 09:10:35

I too have been deluged with BF (interpret that as you wish grin) offers. Even my wood supplier is offering me cheap kindling! Mad!!

Christinefrance Fri 24-Nov-17 09:20:02

How true baubles but its not just an American phenomenon. There seems to be a feeling now that the Black Friday thing is falling off. Not sure how true this is. There are a lot of scams associated with it.

annodomini Fri 24-Nov-17 09:21:19

There were 131 emails in my 'promotions' box this morning and even if some were left over from yesterday, that is ridiculous. I just deleted the lot without reading any of them.

Jalima1108 Fri 24-Nov-17 10:05:27

I thought I'd look online this morning starting with Debenhams children's clothes - I thought there could be a bargain for the DGD.

Out of stock/out of stock/out of stock etc etc

Jalima1108 Fri 24-Nov-17 10:05:45

It was just a thought grin

Squiffy Fri 24-Nov-17 10:21:23

Kitty I'd like one of your 'variations', please, they sound a lot more interesting than all the BF bargains that are inundating my Inbox!