Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is anyone else doing a pre-Christmas diet?

(33 Posts)
minimo Fri 24-Nov-17 16:57:13

My trousers are already snug blush. Anyone want to join me on a pre-Christmas detox type thing so that we can splurge without guilt come the real festivities? Any tips on how I can make this as painless as possible?

Elrel Mon 27-Nov-17 10:45:52

Anniebach - I hope you are having a good day and that your weight is gradually increasing. Thinking of you xx

123kitty Sun 26-Nov-17 16:04:20

Just started 16:8, feels easy so far as I've never enjoyed breakfast- at last a diet made for me!

Saggi Sun 26-Nov-17 10:04:39

Hi Minimo, don't know if this works for you or is applicable!? I got to 10st 9lbs about 4 months ago and it's the heaviest I've been post childbirth 36 years ago ... so decided not to diet ( never have as its pointless) but I gave up my nightly tipple ( brandy and coke) ... glass or two of wine if my friend popped in . Just gave it all up... I don't miss it at all (habit???), and I've lost 11 lbs. oh and got to say I'm walking three miles a day as feel so much better without the booze. Not preaching to anyone here ( atheist), but saying it's worked for me! I think a lot of us do just booze routinely without noticing the amount. It's a thought.cafe

Lilyflower Sat 25-Nov-17 22:33:49

I am not huge so losing even a little is agony. It has taken me a fortnight to lose a pound put on during a really not too indulgent weekend. I am definitely going for pre Christmas restraint.

Diddy1 Sat 25-Nov-17 22:16:01

My Husband has started on the 16:8 diet, after I had read about it on GN, and he is really losing weight for the first time in months, having tried everything else, thanks GN

mcem Sat 25-Nov-17 18:57:31

16:8 and low-carb for me too. So easy and so effective. No idea about weight but inches are dropping off!

Anniebach Sat 25-Nov-17 18:48:11

Yes I am, trying to put on a stone, proving difficult

Thirdinline Sat 25-Nov-17 17:55:31

Yes, always like to lose a few pounds at this time of year so that the weight that inevitably goes on over Christmas is not too catastrophic.

KatyK Sat 25-Nov-17 17:02:20

I must try to give it a go for a couple of weeks. DH and I went to DD's today to help with a few jobs. She said 'I'll make us some lunch'. It consisted of crusty bread, cheese, quiche, pork pie, sausage rolls, crisps, chutney etc. Carrot cake to follow. Tomorrow it is then grin

Craftycat Sat 25-Nov-17 16:53:20

Yep. Carb free from Monday. Did it earlier this year but lapsed when colder mornings made me crave toast.

knspol Sat 25-Nov-17 15:52:14

No way! The best thing about winter is long, cosy jumpers that hide a multitude of puds and Christmas delights.

Lupin Sat 25-Nov-17 15:33:04

I'm another on the 16:8 diet. It's working for me/ Have a look at the thread.

LadyGracie Sat 25-Nov-17 14:41:36

I've had a virus for 3 weeks, eating a minimal amount that I don't want too, a pre Christmas diet I'd rather not be on.

Omaoma57 Sat 25-Nov-17 13:42:09

Went over to a low carb, high fat way of eating...21 lbs gone, sleeping all night, hot flushes a thing of the past...joint pain gone, no more painkillers , no more ibs symptoms...loads more energy...yay!

Skynnylynny Sat 25-Nov-17 13:41:00

Cosafina - glad to know your second cycle of chemo is going ok. Sending hugs.

damewithaname Sat 25-Nov-17 13:29:52

Detox every third day. Herbex sell a great detox drops. On the third day, eat only healthy and drink healthy. It makes a difference.

Brigidsdaughter Sat 25-Nov-17 12:54:05

I'm starting to seriously tackle my weight. Doing 16:8 where possible but most importantly trying to go without added sugar (eg in coffee) and simple carbs. It's not about my appearance as much as health. I'm 61 with DH, plus son in 20's. Would like lots of years ahead but feel so old physically. Hashimotos diagnosed 4 years ago, 5 st up. Knees struggling, breathing affected, etc So hard to motivate one's self when Autumn n Winter kick in.
I even threwmoney at it - Had a DNAfit profile done.
Let's do our best!

IngeJones Sat 25-Nov-17 11:19:47

I always put on roughly 10lb over xmas so I am trying to lose 10lb in advance. It's easier that way around, while I still have something to look forward to, and a deadline, rather than after xmas when it's all open-ended.

David1968 Sat 25-Nov-17 11:17:01

Oh dear God, life''s too short!

Kim19 Sat 25-Nov-17 11:07:53

Thanks to Jane10, I'm losing nicely on her 8:16 recommendation. No plans to negate the effort by splurging at Christmas. I will nonetheless have a great time as usual in a large family gathering. Bring it on!

Swanny Sat 25-Nov-17 10:44:17

D&V affecting the family one after the other has worked wonders on my tum! Could have done without it though as it's really been a nasty bug sad

W11girl Sat 25-Nov-17 10:37:34

No. I eat what I like when I like but always in moderation and dont drink alcoholl. Lucky me! I was listening to Len Goodman last night...he has slimmed down and is dying for a bacon sandwich, as he is only eating fish and chicken at the moment! Have that bacon sandwich I say.

Cosafina Sat 25-Nov-17 10:09:04

The only plus side to my terrible reaction to my first cycle of chemo is that I've lost 7kg smile. Luckily second cycle seems to be going ok

loopyloo Sat 25-Nov-17 09:25:44

Yes, I am trying to stick to 1500 calories and low carb eating. And I feel much better when I do. Really 300 cals for lunch and 400 for dinner. Healthy snacks and a treat in the evening.
Would love to drop to a size 16

Humbertbear Sat 25-Nov-17 09:20:54

I had recently put on a few pounds so I have been trying to eat less and exercise a bit more. I’ve lost those naughty 7 Ibs. Can I lose another three stone by Christmas?