Gransnet forums


.. that GP letter was ignored

(18 Posts)
humptydumpty Tue 12-Dec-17 16:36:30

This is in connection with student accommodation. DD had a serious panic attack and extreme anxiety as a result of problems with the student hall she was living in. Long story but bottom line, they asked for GP letter, he recommended she be released from her (academic-year-long) contract without penalty, and they took NO NOTICE.

She has to find a replacement tenant, with no help from the hall, and they are not waiving any charges or refunding any rent.

2 alternative rooms were offered but at full price, which we cannot afford.

I think this is appalling but not sure what to do about it - any advice appreciated...

eazybee Tue 12-Dec-17 16:41:33

Is this the student who was distressed by another student's alarm clock, and other things, or is that another case?

GrandmaMoira Tue 12-Dec-17 17:07:12

Is there any kind of student support service at her University who can help her? I thought that universities usually have this.

humptydumpty Tue 12-Dec-17 18:24:57

eazy, yes.

Moira, the hall is an independent entity, so not associated with her uni.

M0nica Tue 12-Dec-17 21:52:27

Nevertheless, it would still be a good idea if she spoke to the University Housing officer and also any mental health support officer on campus. These people can often offer help or provide the weight behind her to insist the hall behave appropriately

NotTooOld Tue 12-Dec-17 22:01:53

Agree with MOnica. The University will have some sort of support or counselling this student should access although if I remember the original story correctly (alarm clock etc) she may or may not have grounds for being moved, GP letter or not. Sorry.

newnanny Wed 13-Dec-17 09:47:08

If your dd entered into legally binding contract no amount of gp letters will release her. Gps cannot override the law. Surely you must know this. If they release her from contact it would be discretional.

eazybee Wed 13-Dec-17 10:14:41

The university student associations and housing officer will have websites where she can advertise for a replacement tenant. The Hall won't refund money or waive charges because they are not responsible for the reasons for her decision to leave, ie substandard or inadequate facilities.

humptydumpty Wed 13-Dec-17 10:25:58

Thanks for these replies. Of course I know they are not legally bound to release her. However my feeling is that they have a duty of care, which they have not fulfilled, written into contract or not.

In fact, she did leave because of health issued caused by problems with a flatmate, who also had been complained about by another flatmate; nothing was done.

Nonnie Wed 13-Dec-17 10:27:34

newnanny is correct. It is a commercial enterprise and, like all such bodies, has no obligation to release her from her contract. It is actually doing her a favour by letting her find another tenant. I hope she didn't have to pay the GP for the letter as they are also often private companies and have the discretion to charge.

humptydumpty Wed 13-Dec-17 10:30:04

No, Nonnie, kind GP didn't charge and he was incensed at the idea they required the letter, instead of dealing with the problem of the flatmate.

humptydumpty Wed 13-Dec-17 10:31:34

My main concern now is that she hasn't felt able to stay there since the MH issues, so is commuting from home, while I continue to pay rent sad We have advertised the room but no success as yet.

SheilaDenton69 Wed 13-Dec-17 11:15:05

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Anniebach Wed 13-Dec-17 12:51:40

My granddaughter2 is in a hall of residence, 2 girls and four boys, the girl has left and granddaughter2 isn't happy sharing with four boys but she has to

eazybee Wed 13-Dec-17 16:22:00

Is there someone managing the hall? My son had a hard time in his first year at University because of idiots who used to set off the fire alarms regularly in the middle of the night, to the extent that the Fire service refused to attend after the seventh callout. They could not afford to leave, so had to tough it out, as no-one seemed to have any authority over behaviour. She would be better in a small student house, once she has found another tenant.

humptydumpty Wed 13-Dec-17 17:02:28

eazy as with your son, the ahll does have a management, but they seem disinclined to manage (e.g. it is easier for my daughter to move out than for them to sort the original problem). I thik the main problem is she is doing an MA which hopefully will set her on course for her chosen career so is keen to work hard, and being kept awake every night by the idiot (preumably 1st yr undergrad) next door was wrecking that.

Ah well, I shall just have to hope we can offload the room before I am completely broke!

humptydumpty Wed 13-Dec-17 17:02:53

Apologies for all the typos!

Maxy Thu 14-Dec-17 09:08:22

My son had a similar problem at Sheffield Uni in his first year. Luckily he was in actual Uni accommodation and they moved him immediately. They also suggested he make a formal complaint which would enable them to look into the background of the problem student more thoroughly. After checking his background they found there were things he hadn't disclosed, one of which was that he had been expelled from a different university for similar behaviour. After this experience, we would always advise going for actual Uni accommodation for at least the first year as they are more able to help out if something goes wrong then.