Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is it 1984?

(9 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 24-Dec-17 09:54:49

Who do you call a celebrity ?

Grandma70s Sun 24-Dec-17 09:48:00

I have hardly ever heard of the people called ‘celebrities’, or I know the names but not what they do or who they are. Who the heck are the Kardashians, for instance?

I have my own list of people worth celebrating, but suspect other people may often not have heard of them.

Yes, I think our world is very much dumbed down. TV and all-pervading American culture are the main culprits.

sunseeker Sun 24-Dec-17 09:46:55

With respect, isn't it possible to be interested in what is going on in the world as well as lighter unimportant news? I also haven't heard of this person but to be featured on Desert Island Discs, he must surely be fairly well known to a lot of people.

Esspee Sun 24-Dec-17 09:38:41

I do have television and am well informed on things that actually matter in the world. I don't watch reality TV and wouldn't waste my time reading up about random people whose claim to fame seems to be "being on TV".
Agree with you Wilma about it probably being advertising but the worry is that so many people choose to read it.

BlueBelle Sun 24-Dec-17 08:40:34

I often haven’t heard of ‘ celebrities’ so I google them to see if they are worth learning about Just because you haven’t heard of the guy doesn’t make it or him uninteresting

tanith Sun 24-Dec-17 08:29:44

What WilmaKnickersfit said!

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 24-Dec-17 08:08:26

PS Desert Island Discs is a R4 programme, so there was a bit of advertising going on no doubt.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 24-Dec-17 08:06:14

Bruno Tonoli is on the BBC's flagship programme which is also sold to more than 40 countries worldwide. He's pretty well known. Do you not have a TV or read the news?

My reaction to the news about North Korea is that one step closer to a military conflict.

Esspee Sun 24-Dec-17 07:31:56

Always start my day with the BBC News. Today's lead story is sanctions on North Korea which is also the most read article. The second most read article is about someone (I'd never heard of) in tears on desert island discs.
I am in despair. Is this indicative of a general dumbing down of the population? Has 1984 arrived?