Gransnet forums

AIBU

Ryanair

(12 Posts)
Lisalou Tue 26-Dec-17 21:54:41

Remind me NEVER to fly Ryanair again. I am sick to the back teeth of their tricks. I am used to them trying to con me into spending extra on bags, priority booking, cars to rent, hotels, etc etc etc, but the latest is this: I am flying to Seville tomorrow, so went to print boarding cards this morning; I find that if I want to print them, I have to pay 4€ for the pleasure, or print in the evening after 21.30 (we fly at 09.15 tomorrow morning) They also warn me that if I DONT print them at home, I will have the pleasure of paying an extra 50€, I presume, per ticket holder to have them printed at the airport.
Of course, if you cant print them because the ryanair website seems to deliberately try to print them in the wrong format, it is far too late to go to a copy shop to have them printed - can you see where I am going? My good fortune is that my husband has worked in printing and was able to re.format the boarding card (which is hard to find on the website in the first place) so they cant charge me 50€ extra tomorrow morning.
This is not the only time I have had problems with them, but that is another story for another day, Suffice to say they offer you free tickets because THEY cancelled your flight and put in the small print conditions that mean you will not be able to use the freebies. I wish I could say this surprises me. This company has no ethics at all.
It really is disgusting. I will no longer fly with them EVER AGAIN.

janeainsworth Tue 26-Dec-17 22:10:20

Cheer up Lisalou
m.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOaKxM

FarNorth Tue 26-Dec-17 22:26:10

Great song, jane tchgrin

Really annoying for you, tho, Lisalou.

Morgana Tue 26-Dec-17 22:33:57

Understand that they treat their staff really badly too.

BlueBelle Wed 27-Dec-17 05:25:25

I don’t understand your post .... you can print your tickets up to four days in advance free of charge if you want to print ahead of the four days they do charge you You can also print them up to 2 hours before your flight without being charged so you could in essence use the computer at the airport when you arrive for checkin You could also put the Ryanair ap on your phone and use that so not having to print at all
I m no lover of Ryansir had some bad times with them in the past although the last few years have been good but just got back from using them very recently where it cost me £5 each way to get to see my family in Ireland so I m not complaining
You do have to be savvy though as they will try every trick in the trade to get a ‘ little bit more’ squeezed out of you

JackyB Wed 27-Dec-17 06:30:53

I have been using Ryanair for over 10 years and I fly with them every few weeks - the most recent was last month. I have never had problems, except one delay, which was not their fault. Nowadays I have my boarding card on my phone which has always worked up till now, but I keep a printout in my handbag as backup.

I never pay the extra for insurance (there is a travel insurance policy included in my credit card), priority boarding or extra baggage (only ever take hand luggage), or the €6 for booking a seat in advance, unless I am travelling with someone, to ensure that we sit next to each other.

However, I don't really have a choice as they're the only airline that fly the stretch which suits me best. It takes me 5 hours to get to my mother's house, door to door, which is really good, and stress-free.

JackyB Wed 27-Dec-17 06:32:53

Oh - and the car hire deals are not more expensive than if you book directly - I usually book my car via their website, too.

suzied Wed 27-Dec-17 07:14:12

I fly regularly to Ireland and Italy and haven’t had bad experiences with Ryanair. Just have the boarding pass on my phone this has always worked. I do prefer EasyJet as it’s easier to change your flights , but let’s face it people continue to fly with these airlines as you get cheap flights. You can slag them off for their ways of getting extra money out of you, but that’s understandable as they’re a business, and as others have said you can avoid them.

NonnaW Wed 27-Dec-17 10:37:29

We’ve used them twice this year and both times we were able to print off boarding cards about 2 weeks beforehand. I’ve never been charged extra for doing so. I do agree though about the extra charges for anything they can.

JackyB Wed 27-Dec-17 11:47:51

I am glad that I can choose not to pay for things I am not going to use. For example, on cheap airlines you pay for the food you eat - and not for everyone else's as well. On my last long haul flight I didn't eat a thing because I had an upset tummy. I didn't get a refund, though.

Maggiemaybe Wed 27-Dec-17 11:55:18

How odd. I've never had to pay for printing tickets, or seen any peculiar formatting. And the extras are just what you could buy - just scroll past. I might just have been fortunate, but I've never had a problem with the budget airlines, and I've travelled for as little as £1.99!

Welshwife Wed 27-Dec-17 12:06:58

When I had a return flight and knew before I left home it would be difficult to print off the return boarding card (don't have a smart phone) - I needed to book a seat to print it - all worked though. Although I only had a hand luggage sized case I booked it into the hold and was I glad I did - at Liverpool the flight of steps up to the plane were so steep I would never have made it with my case in hand!