Gransnet forums

AIBU

Taking Decorations Down

(48 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Sat 30-Dec-17 21:34:57

Does anyone else not want to wait until 05 January to take Christmas decorations down? I know people that hate them going, but I can't wait to get them up before Christmas and then after Christmas to take them down.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 03-Jan-18 23:26:39

JackyB that's how I started! tchgrin

DanniRae Wed 03-Jan-18 21:59:25

All gone - happy to be back to normal!!

etheltbags1 Wed 03-Jan-18 21:16:31

Mine are down today before i went to work. Dd took hers down on 27th as her tree is so big they were falling over dgd toys. Just no space.

Iam64 Wed 03-Jan-18 19:14:08

Ours came down today because we're away for a few nights from tomorrow. It was much easier than I'd feared it would be.

Day6 Wed 03-Jan-18 17:28:53

Ours are still up and I am hoping OH will help me get the tree down tomorrow and the decorations packed away before our DGS comes to stay on Friday for a few days. I know I will feel shattered and not up to much once he's gone, so best take down the decs now. I always feel the days after Christmas are an anti-climax. I played Christmas music on Boxing Day and it seemed, well, just wrong! My Mum always left the decorations up until 12th night.

Nannykay Wed 03-Jan-18 17:03:43

Mine came down today, got this awful bug that’s going round so it was hubby that did the most of it with me encouraging from the sofa !

Tegan2 Wed 03-Jan-18 16:03:57

I bought lots of special boxes last year to keep my decorations in, Having done so and been pleased with the result I couldn't face taking them out of their boxes again, so they stayed there. Must make an effort to put them up this year, though blush. No one visits, anyway, so it didn't seem worth it sad.

JackyB Wed 03-Jan-18 12:00:19

As I said on the other thread, DGS is coming from America on 8 Jan so we shall be keeping our tree up till next weekend at least - otherwise we shall have been the only ones to have seen it!

The other grandparents (who live in another village near us) will be doing the same.

We only put ours up on Christmas Eve in true German tradition. They cost quite a bit, and then theres's the effort of putting them up, so it seems a shame to take them down after only a few days.

I like the idea of glass vases with fairy lights in them. I have one in the lounge (with a mains plug), but now battery-powered ones are so cheap and available, there's no excuse not to fill glass bowls and vases with seasonal decorations, depending on the time of year, and put them all round the house.

The battery-powered LEDs don't get hot either, so I'm thinking that the decorations in the bowls could be anything - even plastic shapes (e.g. for Halloween?), or dried flowers and twigs for autumn.

Oops - getting carried away, now!

BlueBelle Wed 03-Jan-18 04:47:55

Mine were down last night there was a definite satisfaction as the last bauble went in the storage box

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 03-Jan-18 01:09:23

Ours will come down on Saturday, although I might start putting some away before then. We left two strings of fairy lights on the bookcases last year, so we'll probably leave them again. My tall twig thing with lights will stay and I have some new fairy lights to drape from the top of the voile curtains. Fortunately DH likes fairy lights too (bit of a surprise tbh), so we sit with fairy lights and tea lights twinkling away in the evening. We have started using battery tea lights, so that makes it easy to keep them going. We've even got some in the hall to light the way to the bathroom (the plug in light is at the wrong end of the hall).

My favourite Christmas decoration is this carousel lithophane dome tea light holder. The rides are polar bears and reindeer. I have several other designs that stay out all the time. I love my twinklies! tchgrin

HillyN Tue 02-Jan-18 23:58:53

I am not superstitious but my DM always believed it was bad luck to take them down before Twelfth Night and I suppose old habits die hard. It annoys me that retailers push Christmas so long before Advent, then can't wait to get rid of it before the twelve actual days of Christmas are over! So mine don't go up before 1st Dec and come down on 6th Jan.

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Jan-18 23:34:46

Oh!! I'd better take mine in now, the dustbins have already blown over and had to be rescued!

lemongrove Tue 02-Jan-18 23:34:01

Had to start early......whizzed outside to rescue the holly wreath on the door, blowing a gale here!

farview Tue 02-Jan-18 22:48:57

Oooh sounds lovely cherrytree59

Bridgeit Tue 02-Jan-18 22:41:36

Loved putting them, loved taking them down,ahh all done & dusted,back to normal, now where was thar Easter egg?

Chewbacca Tue 02-Jan-18 21:05:54

grin that's one word for it lemon!

lemongrove Tue 02-Jan-18 21:04:54

Ah, you’re a fickle woman Chewy?

Chewbacca Tue 02-Jan-18 21:03:47

Funny isnt it.... couldn't wait to get my Christmas tree up and decorated. And I couldn't wait to get my Christmas tree down, packed away and out the door!

lemongrove Tue 02-Jan-18 21:01:35

I always have a glass vase full of lights in the conservatory
Maggie they twinkle away cheerfully.

lemongrove Tue 02-Jan-18 21:00:13

I wait at least until 12th Night to take them down, after all, they are very pretty......tempted to leave them up until next Christmas rolls around.tchgrin

Maggiemaybe Tue 02-Jan-18 19:12:16

I do leave a string on the mantelpiece all year round, MissAdventure, but I might just add a vase full in the hall this year. I couldn’t do without any lights at all. smile

MissAdventure Tue 02-Jan-18 19:07:57

Maybe you should treat yourself to something twinkly that you can keep on all year round? smile a vase with fairy lights looks pretty.

Maggiemaybe Tue 02-Jan-18 19:03:35

Mine are staying up, and all lights will be twinkling, until Saturday. I love them and always feel a bit sad when they’re gone.

MissAdventure Tue 02-Jan-18 18:08:59

Not only can I not stand putting the tree up: I can't stand taking it back down again too. So, all I've done so far is switch off its lights.

BBbevan Tue 02-Jan-18 18:06:35

All down and packed away. Seems a bit bare now., despite a large pot of hyacinths I am growing , in the kitchen Never mind , it won't be long until the £1 bunches of daffodils are in the shops