Gransnet forums

AIBU

Talktalk (SCAM WARNING)

(14 Posts)
Esspee Tue 09-Jan-18 11:31:25

I have been having a dialogue with Talktalk about intermittent drops of my broadband speed. Last night it dropped to 0.4 and they (eventually) agreed to send out an engineer to investigate. (Note that I am omitting all the aggravation and time wasted as this is not the subject of this post.)
This morning at about 8am I got a call from the Talktalk engineers saying they had detected problems with my broadband. Seemed logical to get a call from them in response to my complaint but something struck me as not right so I asked for my account no. to confirm I was talking to Talktalk. The account number was promptly given and correct. Still my senses told me that something was not right so I told them I would call them back on the Talktalk number I always use.
When I did this I was told that the company had not contacted me and it was an attempted scam. Had I allowed the call to continue they would probably have offered to fix the problem by connecting with my computer after which they would have been able to access sensitive information such as bank. account details.
It worries me that vulnerable people could easily be sucked in with this scam so I am posting this to warn everyone that you should NEVER allow anyone to link to your computer, never type in a web address if asked and should never give out personal information to someone who calls you. Don't even give your house number and postcode to verify you are the account holder. Instead you should call them on a number you get from another source.
Do please warn your friends that friendly callers can be up to no good.

MissAdventure Tue 09-Jan-18 11:49:09

It's a good job you were on the ball! Thank you, I'm with talktalk, and I doubt I would have been so clued up.

glammanana Tue 09-Jan-18 11:53:26

So glad you detected something untoward and where on the ball so to speak,I would change my password also if you have not already done it I chnage mine every 3 mths or so just to make sure everything is secure.

Margsus Tue 09-Jan-18 12:14:27

I had exactly the same happen at about 8.30 this morning, except they said they were from BT, also saying that they had detected problems with my broadband. I ended the call and phoned BT immediately, who told me that they had received a lot of calls about this recently, and of course it was a scam. I can see how someone who is vulnerable could be taken in.

OldMeg Tue 09-Jan-18 12:21:07

Thanks for the warning.

bikergran Tue 09-Jan-18 13:22:39

I can see how I would easily be conned into this especially If I had rung them previously to report a problem...I mean if they rung you back you would assume it was to fix the problem...you were certainly "on the ball" Esspee.

NfkDumpling Tue 09-Jan-18 13:35:34

Congratulations on spotting the scam! I’ve had a call purporting to be from BT on similar lines but didn’t fall for it as I’m with Sky. It’s a pretty obvious scam really as there’s a very good chance your broadband does keep dropping out. Mine does it all the time.

Esspee Tue 09-Jan-18 14:22:12

I have had similar calls in the past purporting to be from Talktalk and am aware that their database was breached years ago. I tend to have fun on such calls usually ending up by asking the person if his mother knows that he scams people for a living.
This call, coming on the heels of my complaint last night, could have been genuine. We all need to be very careful these days.

Bellanonna Tue 09-Jan-18 18:52:06

Well done you for being so aware. And thank you so much for the warning. I’m sure I’d have fallen for it.

farview Tue 09-Jan-18 19:15:26

Last year,my H fell for it,they,over the phone,had him do things on his laptop,eventually he smelt a rat,told them so but they then told him he had to £hundreds as they were now already into his computer,he told them to .... off!! Too late though,guy next door works with computers/repairs them but nothing he could do,everything sabotaged,we rang talk talk and let the police know and also had to buy a new laptop so BEWARE!!

Fairydoll2030 Tue 09-Jan-18 19:47:26

This seems to stem from Talk Talk being hacked and thousands of customer details being stolen.

At the beginning of 2016 we had the same problem as the OP and over a period of three months were visited by 13 (yes, 13) engineers, non of whom were aware how many had come before them! There was talk of digging up the road, our drive and the garden! The problem was ultimately solved by a conversation with a senior technician at Talk who was able to talk (!) me through changing the channel on my router.

During the three months we endured the constant drop outs, we were also bombarded with calls from the sub continent from people purporting to be ‘working on the line.’ They were obviously scammers and worryingly knew the account number and other details (thankfully not bank details). I am pretty sure that they were Talk employees probably doing a bit of moonlighting!

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 09-Jan-18 19:48:00

Thanks for the warning. I will pass this on to my Mum who has been targeted in past.

MamaCaz Tue 09-Jan-18 20:12:25

Regular calls like that to us too, but claiming to be from Openreach.

MamaCaz Tue 09-Jan-18 20:16:42

Back when I was with TalkTalk, I often got emails supposedly from them saying that there had been a problem with my direct debit payment that month, asking me to contact them via a link in the email. Er, no way!