Gransnet forums

AIBU

Ring the bell!

(73 Posts)
Lynnebo Wed 17-Jan-18 14:12:23

I get so cross when people look through my front window before ringing the door bell. It's sooo rude! I have one friend who presses her nose to the glass and waves when she comes round and it's beginning to drive me bonkers. One of my neighbours stands on the pavement and peers through the window (about 10ft away) before coming up the path. Grr! Doesn't give me the chance to hide grin
Rant over, thank you x

chrissyh Fri 19-Jan-18 12:14:52

I've got wonderful blinds that pull up from the bottom so I have them halfway up and can still see the park but nobody can see in. My best buy.

patriciageegee Fri 19-Jan-18 11:48:41

I'd just moved into my (ground floor overlooking tiny garden and car park) flat last summer and 8.30 Sunday morning was sat at ease with my feet up and the window flung open as it was a beautiful day when an elderly lady popped her head through said window saying she was looking for Sandra!? First thought was WTF!! second was lucky I was fairly decently arrayed cos I'm usually a bit of a freedom girl and I think the shock of seeing me unadorned would have seen her off! I suppose I could get nets/blinds but I love the feeling of space - even if it is a bit risky lol

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jan-18 11:46:56

I have curtain panels that are very similar to the ones between bays in hospitals. They come ready made, can be cut with scissors, and have different designs. The holes in the top are already made, and they can be pulled back if you feel daring. I'm rather pleased with them.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 19-Jan-18 11:42:58

This is why I have net curtains for ground floor windows - the plain ones don't look like old frilly knicker legs. I'd also recommend a prickly shrub outside if that's possible - something like pyracantha which is really vicious.

grandmac Fri 19-Jan-18 11:41:05

I live in a bungalow and my living room has a bay window so the space before the garden fence is only about 6 foot. Because of the sea view I don’t have net curtains and very often people stand outside discussing and pointing at various features in the garden or of the bungalow, even if I am sitting at the dining table in the bay eating!! shock Sometimes I wave but it doesn’t seem to deter them.
I now have shutters so don’t feel quite so exposed. smile

blue60 Fri 19-Jan-18 11:27:40

I have vertical blinds on our windows. They are great because you can angle them to stop people looking through the window.

Funnily enough, we went for walk yesterday and took a short cut through an estate. The number of windows with views right through the house was surprising - messy playrooms and all! grin

Avsy57 Fri 19-Jan-18 11:22:45

I’d hide anyway, they’d soon get the picture ?

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jan-18 11:13:39

When I was a child, I was taught to knock at someone's door and then step back, so that I wasn't too close.. Its very disconcerting to see a shadowy figure inches away from where you're sitting, in my case, when people decide to walk just the other side of the window.

Nanny123 Fri 19-Jan-18 11:10:03

I totally agree with you. I lived in a detached house once no street lights and very isolated I was sitting in the office which was at the front of the house when a “friend” came up and started banging on the window - I nearly lost my life! It scared the living daylights out of me - unfortunately she got the sharp end of my tongue that day

Elegran Fri 19-Jan-18 11:06:51

knittinggran Recently I distributed flyers about a stray cat to the streets around us. Every house on the upper side of the roads had 6 to 12 steps up from the gate to the front door and my leg muscles were screaming. The semis in one street mostly had a gap in the strip of garden between the two front doors. I was VERY glad to take advantage of it (and I found the owner of the cat - she was looking out of the front window as I passed)

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jan-18 10:58:38

Our postman knocks at all our downstairs doors whilst he runs upstairs and does their post. So, me and the woman opposite open our doors and there is nobody there. We are both just looking at each other.

knittinggran Fri 19-Jan-18 10:55:52

We have postmen who walk past everyones front windows in a row of bungalows opposite where we live rather than walk up and down each path,i think this is very rude and not the done thing.

Farrsan2003 Fri 19-Jan-18 10:31:05

I so agree. Next door always ordering from internet but never answer door to take parcels in. They rely on neighbours to do this. I now refuse to do it and being on crutches often won’t answer door when know it is yet another delivery man trying to offload a package. On many occasions after knocking they then look through window - so, so rude. x

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jan-18 10:26:49

confused nobody said they were special.

Carolpaint Fri 19-Jan-18 10:17:26

Sorry but I could not care less. Many door bells do not sound in all the house, so a good rap at the door may be necessary. What is so special about you? Just answer the door and get it over with. My dogs let me know who is there but seeing a cats furry body slinking past when you are half dressed can be irritating. A friend, who does want to see me, is so hard of hearing, that in spite of bells, and rapping I have to use my mobile to ring him, so please walk a while in another's shoes.

Cathy21 Fri 19-Jan-18 10:13:52

Guilin, an acquaintance recently looked through a friend's letterbox and saw her lies get on the floor. Thank heavens she did, her friend had had a stroke but recovering well in hospital.

razzmatazz Fri 19-Jan-18 10:06:04

Just ask her why she does it. That will highlight the problem/your annoyance. Bad manners to look through the window.

antheacarol55 Fri 19-Jan-18 09:56:55

Made me smile and brought memories back my used to hide from one of her “friends “ If we answered the door even if mum was out she would come in and stay for hours .
People are strange it would bother me if any of my friends did this

sarahellenwhitney Fri 19-Jan-18 09:51:54

Venetian blinds. You can see out they can't see in.

MissAdventure Thu 18-Jan-18 17:19:49

Very droll! grin

Bathsheba Thu 18-Jan-18 17:05:50

Thanks MissA, I may well look into this (if you'll excuse the pun grin)

Nonnie Thu 18-Jan-18 16:06:14

Going to try to remember all this when we choose our next home. Need:

Long drive
Thorns in front of house
High hedges
No neighbours
No doorknocker
Loud bell

Kirsty and Phil where are you?

OldMeg Thu 18-Jan-18 15:12:20

I have flower beds outside both my front windows. But you might need something more discouraging.

How about a nice hawthorn hedge or pyracantha? They are quite easy to keep under control, and I love the feel of a chain saw in my hands.

goldengirl Thu 18-Jan-18 15:08:07

Like you Luckygirl people knock on our door rather than ring the bell. The GC did that until I didn't come to the door straight away and now they ring the bell!
I was also thinking of putting a notice / arrow pointing to the doorbell too but it seems a waste of effort!!!!!!

Luckygirl Thu 18-Jan-18 10:03:21

WE live in a bungalow which is a bit sprawly and it takes us a while to get to the door. Sometimes I can see someone setting off towards the gate when I am arriving at the door - usually a parcel delivery.

And people are always knocking on the door (which is barely audible) rather than ringing the bell, even though I have a little notice pointing to the door bell!