Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to chuck these tins of horrible food?

(53 Posts)
Bignose Tue 30-Jan-18 19:32:34

I found some tins of stuffed aubergine very cheaply in a supermarket. I normally love stuffed aubergine, so I bought three to take on a camping trip. Once camping I opened the first. It looked revolting (brown and slimy) but smelled OK and the tin was well in date, so I heated up the contents and served it up with rice. It tasted revolting! We put the rest of the tins aside, and I recently found them in the back of the car boot. Should I donate them to a food bank, knowing the contents are revolting? Some friends say yes, others say I should not inflict them on people who are already suffering. WWYD? Do food banks give recipients a choice of what they take? I'd hate someone to have one of these tins forced upon them.

jocork Thu 01-Feb-18 05:42:37

You could offer them on freegle saying you didn't like the taste. That way someone can give them a try if they want to. They may be enjoyed by someone else.

Jalima1108 Wed 31-Jan-18 23:34:06

I did wonder if someone else might like them though .... after all, not everyone likes to eat the same things. Look at the comments on here about bread and butter pudding!

If there was something wrong with them they should have been taken back to the shop. They shouldn't be slimy.

MagicWriter2016 Wed 31-Jan-18 23:23:08

Can hardly believe I am reading this! You bought some tins of stuffed aubergines which in your opinion looked and smelt disgusting, so you are now considering donating them to a food Bank? Do you think folk who are unlucky enough to need to use food banks will eat any old s***? Sorry for swearing, but really? I think you will find that folk who use food banks are no different to you when it comes to what they want to eat i.e. decent tasting food.

Nanny41 Wed 31-Jan-18 16:56:23

Dont donate-get rid

Maggiemaybe Wed 31-Jan-18 16:56:02

I'm surprised so many people have advised putting it on the compost heap. As Albangirl points out, cooked food attracts rats. DH is the gardener round here and is forever having to remind me people that raw food goes in the compost bin, cooked food in the recycling.

petalmoore Wed 31-Jan-18 16:30:53

A bit late for Bignose, who's already decided what to do, but I'm with those of you who advised taking the offending tins back to Lidl. Feedback from customers is always useful, and might prompt them to investigate further. If they find that the contents of the tin were sub-standard, aubergine-lovers in general will benefit. Plus you might get your money back ...

W11girl Wed 31-Jan-18 14:02:46

I'd go with purpledaffodil on this. The most sensible thing to do.

Jaycee5 Wed 31-Jan-18 13:16:20

I recently opened a tin of tomatoes to add to a casserole which was within the sell by date. I thought it smelt a bit strange but I haven't use tinned tomatoes for a while and thought maybe it was a bit strong. I ended up having to throw the whole lot away.
Tinned food can go off. It sounds as if you got a bad batch. You can't risk giving it to a food bank.

FlorenceFlower Wed 31-Jan-18 13:04:21

Hi, either return them to Lidel or compost the contents, recycle the tins and give three tins of baked beans to the food bank.

The context sound awful and may just have been badly stored or overheated

?

starlily106 Wed 31-Jan-18 12:59:55

I would dump them, not donate them to a food bank. If they were slimy and tasted revolting please don't pass them on to someone else. I'd be afraid that I would make someone ill if they ate them. People who need to use a food bank have enough problems, I'd only donate something that I would eat myself.

JanaNana Wed 31-Jan-18 12:59:50

I would throw them out....I would never give people food that I consider unsuitable to eat myself. If it looks awful to you then it probably will to someone else.

mcem Wed 31-Jan-18 12:51:20

Return to lidl.
They'd want to know about a faulty batch but wouldn't want you criticising them in public without the chance of putting things right.

Albangirl14 Wed 31-Jan-18 12:10:58

You are obviously a person like me who wastes very little but on occasion when something tastes unpleasent or may not be safe to eat I do discard it. Food banks get a lot of out of date tins donated and these are thrown away.We do not put food on our compost as we found it attracted rats.

GrannyO Wed 31-Jan-18 12:09:28

Throw them out and donate something else instead -that way you don't feel guilty.

Kittye Wed 31-Jan-18 11:44:27

Please don't inflict them on someone less fortunate than yourself. Chuck them in the bin!

Aepgirl Wed 31-Jan-18 11:23:01

Throw them. I'm confused why you have still got them seeing as they were so awful.

oldgaijin Wed 31-Jan-18 11:22:54

Bread and butter pudding? Yuk and double yuk.
Bread pudding?...now you're talking!

henetha Wed 31-Jan-18 11:07:53

I've never stuffed an aubergine, nor tasted tinned ones.
Have I missed out on something exciting?

Bignose Wed 31-Jan-18 11:04:34

Right, decision made: compost and tins recycled. Or I could give them to the friends that think this option is taking food out of the mouths of children, and lumber the friends with the dilemma.) BTW, Jalima: not all Lidl tinned stuffed aubergines are horrible. These were a different brand from others I have bought in there before, which were v. nice. Avoid the ones in turquoise tins. Re Bread and Butter pudding: lovely stuff but imho if you want the Gold Standard in Bread and Butter puddings, look up the recipe for Egyptian B&B pudding, called Umm Ali. It's even better, and comes with interesting folklore back stories.

caocao Wed 31-Jan-18 10:38:27

Taste not take!!!

caocao Wed 31-Jan-18 10:37:56

Bread and butter pudding made with half milk and cream or for a special treat replace a little of the cream with Baileys - it doesn't take alcoholic, just richer and more luxurious. Guess I should have bought some of the small Panettone with chocolate chips that were reduced to 50p in John Lewis yesterday because I really fancy a pudding made with them now.
Anyway, back on track - I would ditch the aubergines, many people who use food banks have families and I personally think if they are going to end up in the bin anyway (can't imagine children liking them), then why let someone carry them home?

auntbett Wed 31-Jan-18 10:34:58

Just throw the contents away. Recycle the tins. If you found the contents revolting, why inflict them on someone who needs to use a food bank.

Witzend Wed 31-Jan-18 09:56:12

I agree, ditch them, even though the waste will grieve you.

I used to think bread and butter pudding was disgusting - until I actually tried it. My mother never made it, since my father wouldn't eat anything made with milk, or that even looked as if it contained milk.
He spent his entire married life of well over 40 years blithely thinking there was no milk in Yorkshire pudding. While cooking the usual Sunday roast, my mother's hissed refrain of, 'Get Daddy out of the kitchen!' as she mixed up the pud, was legend.

Oldwoman70 Wed 31-Jan-18 08:53:22

If you wouldn't eat them because they are so disgusting why would you think someone visiting a food bank would want to? As others have said it could mean someone (even children) going without food if you "donate" them.

Maggiemaybe Wed 31-Jan-18 08:39:15

I agree with Elegran. Take them back to the store. It sounds as if they’re from a bad batch that needs to be investigated.