Gransnet forums

AIBU

Daily emails

(23 Posts)
NanKate Mon 05-Feb-18 22:26:08

Often when I buy clothes the shop persuades me to give them my email with some offer of a reduced price on my next purchase then, and this the bit that annoys me, they email me most days trying to persuade me to buy more. The worst offenders are,

Cotton Traders
John Lewis
M and Co.

I know I could stop them but on occasions I want to look at their products but just not every day.

lemongrove Mon 05-Feb-18 22:28:05

M&S and Debenhams bombard me, also Mint Velvet.

NotTooOld Mon 05-Feb-18 22:33:26

Cotton Traders and MnS are always emailing me. Don't they realise it just puts me off? Not the result they were hoping for.

Nelliemoser Mon 05-Feb-18 23:02:08

You can usually find something at the bottom of the page of these adverts, emails or whatever it was, giving you the opportunity to "unsubscribe" to such "newsletters".

Theses are only there to show you more advertisments. and tempt your purse to buy some more stuff.

Christinefrance Tue 06-Feb-18 07:55:15

Like NanKate I want to look at these sites just not every day so don't want to unsubscribe.

On the subject of Cotton Traders I have found lately they don't have a range of sizes when I come to order something.

OldMeg Tue 06-Feb-18 08:05:13

Unsubscribe and just look at their website when you want something. Sending you these emails are a way of reeling you in, so you end up buying something just because you want it and not because you need it.

Greyduster Tue 06-Feb-18 08:38:51

In January I bought DD some running clothes for her birthday from a site she uses. Since then, they have emailed me daily - sometimes twice a day. I have unsubscribed twice but still they keep coming. Bally nuisance!

Lovetopaint037 Tue 06-Feb-18 08:58:33

They are a pain. I had to unsubscribe from John Lewis as the frequency was ridiculous. The M&S are also a pain but If I unsubscribe I don’t get to see Sparks card offers which you can put on as a choice. Other than that EBay and Amazon get on my nerves. I have only bought one small item thro EBay and the emails are nearly every day. I can’t see where to stop that one.

Greyduster Tue 06-Feb-18 09:10:52

Amazon are certainly prolific with their emails - every day. I really haven’t bought that much stuff from them. I also get bombarded with stuff from a country pursuits company in Penrith who always seem to be having a HUGE SALE!! FINAL REDUCTIONS!! But the prices never change from one to email to the other right through the year.

Charleygirl Tue 06-Feb-18 09:15:05

Amazon irritate me for the same reasons and if eg I buy something from them= maybe a printer after it has arrived for many days afterwards they are showing every printer they possess- I only need one.

hildajenniJ Tue 06-Feb-18 09:34:50

Every day, via email, some company or other is trying to sell me insurance of some sort. I keep clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the page, but they keep on coming. I'm getting really fed up of it all.

annodomini Tue 06-Feb-18 09:37:37

I 'select all' and press 'delete'. I receive all the above plus Hotter shoes. From some, I also receive catalogues through the mail. Overkill, isn't it!

FarNorth Tue 06-Feb-18 09:39:02

On Hotmail, the 'Sweep' button, at the top of the page is very useful.
Other types of email probably have something similar.

annodomini Tue 06-Feb-18 10:14:33

Gmail has a section for 'promotions' which lumps all these annoying advertising emails together and makes it easy to do a mass deletion which is the first thing I do in the morning when I first log on.

loopyloo Tue 06-Feb-18 10:19:19

Can't you just look for unsubscribe at the very end of the email? Usually in very small writing but it is there.

Greyduster Tue 06-Feb-18 10:37:45

That’s what I tried - twice - with the running site, Loopyloo. They ain’t listening!

NanKate Tue 06-Feb-18 16:47:30

One system I do find helpful is from my hairdresser who just before my next appointment (6 weekly) send a message saying ‘Do you want your appointment on Weds at 9.30’. I just have to click on Confirm or Cancel. Easy peasy.

silverlining48 Tue 06-Feb-18 17:28:26

I am looking for a a small armchair, and looked at wayfair once, did not contact them or buy anything but every day, often twice a day they email me with the same chairs for sale. This lady is not for turning into a customer. I shall seek out the cancel button.

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 06-Feb-18 18:39:40

My Mum can't get Roman Originals to stop sending her emails and she keeps buying things. That's what companies not sticking to the industry Code of Practice rely on. The best sites have the option to have a weekly digest email, a summary of the week's offers.

I stopped all Cotton Traders emails last year and won't use them again after they blocked a review I wrote about some shoes. It was a perfectly polite review saying that although the shoes were nice, I didn't think they were a wider fit like other CT shoes I had. In fact, I'd been away somewhere for the weekend that had a CT shop (not a discount outlet), but it didn't have the shoes I wanted. I did try on another pair from the same range which fitted fine, so I felt confident ordering the ones I wanted online.

I received a snotty email from CT saying my review would not be published (or would be withdrawn, I can't remember now). Apparently I had broken the T&C of their reviews and I should have got in touch with customer services which would have agreed to pay for me to return the shoes. I replied asking exactly what was wrong with my review, but they couldn't/wouldn't tell me, so I still don't know what the problem was with my review.

It's the first time anything like that has happened to me and completely turned me against CT. I'd heard about review fixing/fiddling and you can spot fake reviews on Amazon quite easily. Several reviewers will use the same standard text as if choosing from a selection. Also, a group of reviews will all be dated the same date, or a day or so apart. Often that's down to the individual sellers, but my experience was with a big company. Never again.

HurdyGurdy Thu 08-Feb-18 14:25:52

I have a junk email address that I give out. I only give it to places that will send me unsolicited emails so I rarely, if ever, check it, and just bulk delete everything in there when I do

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Feb-18 15:25:16

You should be able to 'unsubscribe' and fingers crossed it will work.

However, I do the same as HurdyGurdy, have another email address for all those kinds of things and then bulk delete (skimming through the names first just to make sure).

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Feb-18 15:28:28

M&S refused to publish one review I posted - I had bought some bras then they didn't stock them for a long while so I reviewed them, saying they fit well and the colour was good - but why can't we buy any at the moment, they have been 'out of stock' for a few months?
They blocked my review in a very snippy fashion because it didn't abide by their rules.

Catlady47 Thu 15-Feb-18 21:38:43

I always refuse to give mine. It's just a way of spamming you