Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to expect classic dishes to be served in a classical style in a restaurant?

(69 Posts)
JMitch Thu 15-Feb-18 05:17:30

Just had two meals out in two days and each time had to send my plate back to have the balsamic vinegar removed! Don’t get me wrong, there is a place for Balsamic Vinegar, on freshly cut tomatoes and other Mediterranean veggies for example, but the first occasion was brunch and I had ordered scrambled eggs on sourdough with a side of Bacon - served with a flourish of BV across the whole lot. And the second time was at lunchtime today when I ordered what turned out to be a great Cesar Salad, with BV!! Why do restaurants insist on messing with menu staples? AIBU to expect classic dishes to be served in a classic style?

Oldwoman70 Thu 15-Feb-18 11:07:41

SueDoku - yes I must have been eating improper salads too!!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 15-Feb-18 11:19:17

YANBU but I expect the chef is trying to be 'modern' which doesn't always work. Leave it alone!

Lilyflower Thu 15-Feb-18 11:42:23

Ask for any dressing to be served separately. It's quite common now that people have realised that some salads are worse than pizzas calorie-wise due to the heavy hand with the oil.

Also, BV is indigestible but have you tried balsamic glaze? Yumsk!

BBbevan Thu 15-Feb-18 12:25:36

Trouble is many chefs now do classic dishes " with a twist". I really dislike that phrase. If they wish to create something new, well do so. As DH says ' Don't muck about with a classic recipe'

AsarahG Thu 15-Feb-18 12:36:59

My partner and I can't take anything too hot and chilli seems to be put in everything now. It is okay in something appropriate like a curry etc, but it even in oven chips nowadays. My partner's mouth can get very sore if he has too much, so we have to explain we a) do not like it and b) my partner is allergic to it. The restaurants are usually very good, and it does show you which restaurants cook their meals from scratch so they are quite happy to leave it out.

oldgaijin Thu 15-Feb-18 13:13:54

SueDoko, if you want an anchovyless dressing, try Mary Berry's recipe for Caesar dressing...beware the Worcestershire sauce as it contains a smidgeon of anchovy. Bon Appetit!

felice Thu 15-Feb-18 13:42:57

Oldgajin, a few prawns to someone who is allergic to them could be very serious, certainly I do not want to end up in hospital because the chef puts "a few mussels" on what should have been a plain fish dish.

willa45 Thu 15-Feb-18 13:54:00

Many restaurants have an on-line presence where you can check menus, prices etc. before you go. You can also call ahead when someone has dietary restrictions. I usually order dressings, butter, sauces etc. 'on the side' whenever possible. With few exceptions, I have found most restaurants to be accommodating.

kittylester Thu 15-Feb-18 14:06:39

GA made my point! Although not so drastic as her DGS's reaction, I have unfortunate consequences if served gluten and some restaurants assume that just means serving an alternative to the bread.

Jalima1108 Thu 15-Feb-18 14:38:44

or not bothering to wash the knife between slicing ordinary bread and gf bread kitty

GabriellaG Thu 15-Feb-18 14:56:57

It may depend on where you are and where you're from. If I, as an Englishwoman, were to ask for a pasta dish in Rimini, I can hardly expect it to be the same as one served in London or Bristol.

Spangles1963 Thu 15-Feb-18 16:59:30

Noir quite in the same league as balsamic vinegar,but I remember a few years ago my late DM and I were in a cafe. DM ordered a jacket potato with tuna and cheese. When it arrived she asked the waitress if she could have salt and pepper,as there was none on the table. The waitress informed her that salt and pepper had already been added! My DM was shock.

Spangles1963 Thu 15-Feb-18 17:00:48

Not! Not 'noir'.

leemw711 Thu 15-Feb-18 18:12:26

IMHO though Balsamic Vinegar can be delicious in the right dish, there is no way that BV on scrambled eggs would ever be a good combination. BV would overpower the delicacy of the egg flavour and ruin the dish. Each!

Grandmama Thu 15-Feb-18 18:33:30

Grannyactivist: very recently on a TV programme one of the presenters rang several different takeaways to order a meal and specified a particular ingredient (possibly nuts) that must not be included. When the takeaways were tested the allergy ingredient was either in them all or perhaps one was safe. The others could have had dangerous consequences.

marionk Thu 15-Feb-18 21:00:39

Anchovies are an ingredient in the Caesar sauce and are very often included in Caesar salads but as they can be an acquired taste eaten as they are you think they might have warned you on the menu

Kim19 Thu 15-Feb-18 21:00:49

I think this, or any addition, comes under the modern culinary trait of 'artistic licence'. In other words, if you go to any restaurant it's their interpretation of any classic which will be presented to you. I suppose you can't blame them in that there's a lot of competition out there but I do agree it can be very disappointing.

JMitch Thu 15-Feb-18 21:28:38

Wow! I didn’t realise just how many like minded souls there are out there. I take all the points about ‘served with a twist’, or ‘designer food’, but then the title of the dish must be different. Cesar salad is Cesar salad, anything else, including Balsamic, turns it into lettuce with a dressing, croutons and other bits - not a Cesar salad! Similarly, scrambled eggs is or should be what it says! Rant over - feeling much mich better to know that I am not alone.

Catlady47 Thu 15-Feb-18 21:36:03

Ewwww bbq!

M0nica Thu 15-Feb-18 23:07:02

A chef who thinks it is the heights of sophistication to splash BV everywhere is not a very good chef. Eat somewhere else.

seasider Fri 16-Feb-18 07:43:45

I loved bread and butter pudding made by my mum as a cheap pudding to use up stale bread. It is now a trendy pudding but I am always disappointed as chef has added orange or chocolate or similarsad

Kim19 Fri 16-Feb-18 11:40:37

Seaside, I feel exactly the same but it's with crime brûlée. People seem to have this inexplicable need to add something to it whereas it can stand on its own two feet amazingly and is only reduced by additions in my opinion.

Witzend Fri 16-Feb-18 11:41:05

Must say I really don't care for balsamic vinegar - to me the taste is so strong, it overpowers everything else. A dd puts it on every salad, so unless I make a classic oil and vinegar dressing first, or maybe an oil and lemon juice - I have to grab my portion before it's swamped.

Ditto to bread and butter pudding! Why do they have to muck about with it? I did make one with a super-size brioche when we were in France last year, but that was because the bakery had given it for free - because it was stale! Which of course we didn't realise at the time - thought they were just being nice!

00mam00 Fri 16-Feb-18 13:14:28

Why have so many cafes etc started serving savoury snacks in a brioche bun!? It’s not smart or clever, it’s wrong, brioche is sweet.

indispensableme Fri 16-Feb-18 14:29:22

Balsamic and very roughly crushed black pepper on strawberries is delicious when they're part of a savoury meal, not with cream.