Gransnet forums

AIBU

Too expensive?

(18 Posts)
Catlady47 Thu 15-Feb-18 21:19:47

£11.50ph for a cleaner is too expensive?

I've been a cleaner and was on minimum wage.

MissAdventure Thu 15-Feb-18 21:22:08

I suppose it depends if people are willing to pay that amount.
My friend charged around that price a good few years ago, but there was absolutely nothing she wouldn't do.
She basically ran peoples' homes for them.

Jane10 Thu 15-Feb-18 21:25:01

I pay that happily. My cleaning lady does a great job and I appreciate her hard work.

Catlady47 Thu 15-Feb-18 21:30:05

Oh gosh, I'm outdated with prices!

Sunlover Thu 15-Feb-18 21:36:01

I pay £11 an hour. Wouldn't be without my cleaning lady.

SpringyChicken Thu 15-Feb-18 22:25:56

If I had to earn a living by cleaning, I'd like to think I was worth £11.50 per hour. Pretty good value when compared to the cost of, say, a coffee and a piece of cake. And the pleasure of having a clean home lasts longer than the pleasure of cake.
I pay £15 to have my windows cleaned and it takes less than 15 minutes. As long as the cleaner is good at the job and I could afford it, I would pay it.

grannyticktock Thu 15-Feb-18 22:27:34

I don't have a cleaner but know a couple of households who pay £10 an hour.

SueDonim Thu 15-Feb-18 22:58:05

£12:50ph here.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 15-Feb-18 23:08:52

Cleaners are paid £15 and hour around here. Why would you want someone to only earn minimum wage - you would be underpaying them? They have to get to and from the various places they are cleaning; they may have to run a car to do that or have the cost of transport and there is the time between 'hours' getting from one place to another. Then, if you take account of it there is the 'market rate'. If there are not enough cleaners because people prefer to do other jobs or can get better pay you are going to have to pay accordingly. It's not as if the cleaner is earning thousands.

maryeliza54 Fri 16-Feb-18 00:26:04

Good point about the window cleaner’s pay

Menopaws Fri 16-Feb-18 05:16:15

My mum pays £15 but well worth it, I owned a cleaning business 10 years ago and I charged £12 an hour then

f77ms Fri 16-Feb-18 06:44:04

I think £11.50 is a fair rate per hour . I worked as a cleaner when my children were small . It was hard work and the travelling to and fro on the bus in those days took time and cost money .
One thing which sticks out to me is that one of the `posh` women I worked for bought cheap coffee for me and the chauffeur but drank expensive coffee herself , that always bugged me !

Christinefrance Fri 16-Feb-18 07:02:01

A good cleaner is worth their weight in gold. Most employers will happily pay this rate for someone who is reliable and conscientious. It also depends where you live.

Gagagran Fri 16-Feb-18 07:48:52

I happily pay my two cleaners (sisters) £25 for the hour they are here and clean my house from top to bottom every 2 weeks. I presume they split it so £12.50 per hour and worth it to me because I can't physically do it myself.

janeainsworth Fri 16-Feb-18 08:44:19

My cleaner costs a similar amount. She does 3 times as much work as I would do in the same time frame and is worth every penny and having her means I’m free to pursue my own interests instead of hoovering, dusting & cleaning bathrooms.
If I had to make household economies she would be one of the last to go!

TerriBull Fri 16-Feb-18 09:03:11

We pay £12 per hour, it was my husband's idea he did most of the heavy duty cleaning. Well I do pretty much all the cooking and shopping, we split the ironing 50/50. He decided he'd had enough, particularly the bathrooms and responded to a flyer through the door a couple of years ago. She cleans top to bottom once a week, we are on three floors, she leaves the place gleaming and she makes us Polish cakes at Christmas smile We think she's lovely and well worth the money.

OldMeg Fri 16-Feb-18 09:26:46

A good cleaner is worth paying for.

Marelli Fri 16-Feb-18 10:14:43

My late, very elderly, sister-in-law paid £15 per hour for her cleaner. She came in twice a week for 1 hour and asked for only £12 per hour because sil was unable to manage anything for herself, housework-wise. Her cleaning lady therefore took on extra tasks, such as changing L’s bed and washing the floor of the the indoor ‘close’, and front doorstep, (which pleased ‘L’ immensely, as this was on a par with how she was brought up in the 1920 -30’s, to have a clean doorstep, showing how well she looked after her home.