Gransnet forums

AIBU

Something else we cannot eat !!!!!!????

(24 Posts)
Cabbie21 Thu 01-Mar-18 10:25:42

My GC eat more than their five a day of fruit and veg, are very healthy, slim and unfussy. However their dentist did tell them to eat less fruit and to brush their teeth half an hour afterwards, as acid was damaging the enamel. So I do think there is some truth in this.
Otherwise, moderation is the key in all things. I rarely take any notice of the latest “wisdom” regarding what is good for us. It keeps changing.

annodomini Tue 27-Feb-18 09:59:41

Do you remember an old advertisement that went: "End a meal with an apple, nature's toothbrush"?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 27-Feb-18 09:18:58

I love a cox apple (think apples are not too bad?) quartered and spread with (unsweetened) peanut butter - there is something about the combination of sweet and juicy apple and dry and salty peanut butter that just works so well

harrigran Tue 27-Feb-18 08:33:08

My grandmother lived into her 90s and ate anything and everything. They owned a market garden and kept pigs so bacon was very much on the diet. Summer fruit was always made into jam to last to the next year.
She was born in 1875 so her father probably paid for teeth extraction before her marriage.

Maggiemaybe Tue 27-Feb-18 08:13:37

I've always snacked on fruit, around ten portions a day. In season, I'll happily sit and eat a pound of berries straight from the allotment. My teeth, and the rest of me, seem to be holding up fine. My DMIL lived on a diet of pure lard and sugar and lived happily and healthily to her mid 90s. She'd have a weekly orange "to do her good" once a week, but would sprinkle it liberally with sugar first. Life's way too short to worry about nibbling a few grapes.

I don't remember any angst from experts over the Free Fruit for Schools scheme, which actively encourages children to snack on fruit.

Iam64 Tue 27-Feb-18 07:58:36

Moderation in all things. Fresh fruit, vegetables as often and as frequently as you like imo. Of course, drinking fruit juice is different than eating fruit. Same with fruit teas - drink hot water or mint tea.
I begin to feel all this 'advice' is driving us potty!

Lisalou Tue 27-Feb-18 07:32:49

What my first post was saying is that in the Mediterranean, children eat fruit in large quantities and have less problems of obesity than the UK. It is also true that in Spain (where I live) they eat a lot less in the way of processed food.
This post should have gone prior to the other two - sorry, dont know what happened there.

Lisalou Tue 27-Feb-18 07:30:29

Hang on, my previous post did not post! GRRRR

Lisalou Tue 27-Feb-18 07:30:03

And I just checked, there is no discernible difference across the board in tooth decay throughout Europe, if the children have good oral hygiene.

wildswan16 Sat 24-Feb-18 15:10:03

There is nothing that you should "NOT" eat. There are, however, quite a lot of things that adults or children should not eat in excess. Citrus fruit is fine - just don't brush your teeth immediately afterwards and don't eat it all day long. Chocolate is fine - just don't finish the whole bar in one go. Chips are fine - once a week. Sugar is OK - just don't overdo it. Etc etc.

If we all ate a reasonable mixed diet and only ate enough calories to balance what we use up in energy then we wouldn't have a problem.

All the authors and journalists telling us what to do and what not to do would be out of a job however.

henetha Sat 24-Feb-18 15:00:41

I decided years ago - "Everything in moderation". And I think I will stick to that.

lemongrove Sat 24-Feb-18 14:04:55

Too much of any fruit acid is bad for the teeth.My DC used to come home from school and have a glass of milk and a digestive biscuit or two ( not the choccy ones.) This kept them going until their meal later.

M0nica Sat 24-Feb-18 13:57:43

DM published some analysis of those people who live into extreme old age fit and well.

The most cheering aspect about it was that the common factors to them all could best be summed up as 'avoid medicine and doctors, eat and drink anything you like, but in moderation, most of them avoided exercise but enjoyed swimming, walking, gardening and such like activities on a regular basis and they kept cheerful.

So as I cheerfully drink my fruit tea (not with a meal), while painting a ceiling, after a lunch of macaroni cheese, plenty of cheese, plus 2 rashers of bacon. I will ignore this warning in the same way I ignore all the other useless research reports telling me all the other things I mustn't eat/drink/do/think.

Add up all the doom and gloom they preach. I am amazed any of us live beyond 30, and die with acid etched teeth.

felice Sat 24-Feb-18 12:45:30

Off now to the Irish Pub across the road with Welsh friends to watch the Rugby, and a full Irish All Day Breakfast, pray for my arteries folks, only once or twice a year. Not sure wether to stay for The Calcutta Cup or not.

felice Sat 24-Feb-18 12:41:29

My Mother has just turned 99, the healthy option was "eat your carrots they will make you see better"
She though she was in heaven when Vesta arrived.

Nelliemoser Sat 24-Feb-18 12:39:49

Well it is hardly news that fruits can rot your teeth . Fruit acids as well as sugars. best not to snack at all.

Bathsheba Sat 24-Feb-18 12:33:34

Honestly! If we all stopped eating what the experts tell us we shouldn't eat, we'd starve. Grass perhaps? hmm grin

Luckygirl Sat 24-Feb-18 12:28:26

However did my GPs last till well into their 90s!!

felice Sat 24-Feb-18 12:07:14

SIL is a partner in a Cheese Distribution Company so we are up to our eyeballs in Cheese so not really a treat here, and we already eat enough of the stuff anyway.

Cherrytree59 Sat 24-Feb-18 12:04:40

I read somewhere may have been Gransnet
That eating a small cube of cheese after eating fruit or drinking fruit juice helps to neutralise the acid.

My grown up children have lovely teeth how did that happen?
As I was obviously feeding them the wrong foodshock

felice Sat 24-Feb-18 12:04:33

DGS takes fruit to school everyday for his morning snack, they also get fresh fruit chunks for dessert every lunchtime with the school dinner, set menu here, no selection and no waste unless for dietary reasons.
We do have crisps, Mama Mias are my favourite at the moment, (my weakness). DGS doesn't like them.
I just feel that even the healthy option now is not so healthy according to the latest team of "experts".
Stewed Balloons and Feathers this afternoon perhaps??

Oopsadaisy12 Sat 24-Feb-18 11:55:43

We only gave DGCs fruit and fruit juice at breakfast and lunch times, all other times they drank tap water.
No fruit or juice after lunch, and always made them brush their teeth at least 30 mins afterhaving fruit juice, any sooner and it affects their teeth. I have to say that my DD worked for a dentist!
They are now teenagers and I have to say that they eat lots of things that aren’t very good for them, but I don’t see them very often, just in the holidays, and what happens at Grandmas stays at Grandmas!

tanith Sat 24-Feb-18 11:50:52

Handful of nuts, baked crisps have less fat, my GD loves sugar snap peas eaten raw. Fruit as a snack is fine for children as is cheese.

felice Sat 24-Feb-18 11:37:42

DGS and I like an afternoon snack of seedless Grapes and freshly squeezed Orange juice diluted with fizzy water(glass bottles, returnable here).
Now I am hearing that snacking on fruit and sipping my favourite fruit teas are going to ruin our teeth, not too much of a problem for me(not manyleft) but worrying for DGS.
So, we cannot have crisps, too much fat and salt, Biscuits are also a nono, we don't like them anyway, a Ham sandwich perhaps, no, processed food is even worse.
Raw veg perhaps, not without a dip!!
Any suggestions Gransnetters, keep it light please.